Joe Zawinul hospitalized

brownie

From AP:

JOE ZAWINUL HOSPITALIZED IN VIENNA

Joe Zawinul, who performed and recorded with Miles Davis, has been hospitalized with an undisclosed illness, officials said Tuesday.

Zawinul, 75, was admitted to Vienna's Wilhelmina Clinic on Sunday, the Viennese Hospital Association said.

The group declined to confirm reports by Austrian public broadcaster ORF that Zawinul was seriously ill, saying the musician had requested that his rights as a patient and a private person be respected.

Zawinul won widespread acclaim for his keyboard work on chart-topping Davis albums such as "In a Silent Way" and "Bitches Brew." He was a leading force behind the so-called "Electric Jazz" movement.

In 1970, he founded the band Weather Report and produced a series of albums including "Heavy Weather," "Black Market" and "I Sing the Body Electric." After that band's breakup, he founded the Zawinul Syndicate in 1987.

Zawinul is credited with bringing the electric piano and synthesizer into the jazz mainstream.

ADVERTISEMENT

This past spring, he toured Europe to mark the 20th anniversary of the Zawinul Syndicate. He sought medical attention when the tour ended, the Hospital Association said.

His record label, BirdJAM, said there was no word on whether he planned to go ahead with concerts scheduled for next month.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

joe lost his wife of over 40 years on july 26th. i am praying for him and their family.

Sad news. Many people inconsciously lose the strenght to live and struggle when their long-life partners are gone. I hope this wouldn't be the case. :(

Edited by porcy62

According to Austria's National Broadcasting, ORF, Joe is seriously sick. :(

from the ORF website

Die Wiener Jazz-Legende Joe Zawinul ist schwer erkrankt. Der 75-jährige gebürtige Erdberger wird derzeit im Wilhelminenspital behandelt. Es bestehe aber keine Lebensgefahr, hieß es aus dem Krankenhaus.

from the ORF website

Die Wiener Jazz-Legende Joe Zawinul ist schwer erkrankt. Der 75-jährige gebürtige Erdberger wird derzeit im Wilhelminenspital behandelt. Es bestehe aber keine Lebensgefahr, hieß es aus dem Krankenhaus.

can someone translate this?

from the ORF website

can someone translate this?

Well, I hoped that some german speaking forum members could do it, but if you forgive an italian trying to translate german in english...more or less it sounds like this

The Jazz legend from Wien Joe Zawinul is seriously sick. The 75 y/o Erdberger (I presume is it referred to the neighbour of Wien where Joe is born, or a nickname for a real Wien born) is recovered in Wilhelminen Hospital, thou not in danger of life.

More or less.

The Jazz legend from Wien Joe Zawinul is seriously sick. The 75 y/o Erdberger (I presume is it referred to the neighbour of Wien where Joe is born, or a nickname for a real Wien born)

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erdberg_%28Wien%29

seems like it's his neighborhood :) if my English were better i'd try to translate Erdberger in a way that makes clear why this is an extremely funny word - but maybe it's just because i'm drunk

• 2 weeks later...