Anybody here taking the LSAT this year?

They do indeed. Unfortunately, folks fall into the stereotype of viewing all attorneys as either ambulance chasers or corporate robbers. Be careful of who you place into a box.

I've been around corporate attorneys my whole working life and I find them to be neither ambulance chasers nor robbers, they're just highly paid drones.

Some of them spend their high pay on far too many jazz CDs.

I sure wouldn't hire someone who had to study for three months to get a good score on the LSAT. Keep it to yourself.

I never said one had to study three months to get a good score on the LSAT. Nowadays, unfortunately, due to the pervasiveness of the US News rankings the LSAT is probably the most important indicator of what kind of law school to which you will be admitted. For those aspiring to a top-15 or especially a top-10 school, even a five point difference, say between a 168 and a 173, will greatly affect the chances of admission. That said, even for someone who can score well without much preparation, the extra work can certainly help and certainly improve your prospects at a top-15 school.

He points out that some law students come from poor or lower middle class families, and law school is the family's way out of poverty. For these students, their becoming an attorney is a great source of pride for their parents and their extended family members. Many of these students have genuine ideals and/or are acting as a beacon of hope for younger extended family members, a living example that education can be the way out of a dead end life.

It sounds like every John Garfield movie I've ever seen.

Perhaps, but I know law students and attorneys who are in that very position. They do exist.

They do indeed. Unfortunately, folks fall into the stereotype of viewing all attorneys as either ambulance chasers or corporate robbers. Be careful of who you place into a box.

In my experience, many attorneys are far more mundane than the negative stereotypes that people throw around. Many are technicians who provide services, don't get paid all that much, don't find their jobs all that interesting, and try to provide for a spouse and family without spending every waking moment at the office--which is what the clients seem to expect.

Someone like John Edwards is a one in a million attorney. There are a handful of highly successful plaintiff's contingent fee attorneys in the nation who make a whole lot of money. They are very rare, and have had a good deal of good luck to go along with a lot of hard work.

There are also very few attorneys who represent huge corporations and take in million dollar annual salaries. That is a world that the vast majority of attorneys in the U.S. have never seen.

Most attorneys make the same income or less as many accountants, dentists, and architects. There is no reason to feel great gushes of sympathy for them, but there is also no reason to condemn them all as wealthy crooks. The reality is far more boring.