Bennie Wallace: Disorder at the Border

MartyJazz

I've been partial for a long time to this relatively unheralded and unique tenor artist. Anyway, apparently taking a cue from Joe Lovano who has made a couple of wonderful nonet recordings, this disc also features a nonet in a live performance in Berlin however playing only tunes associated with one jazz great, Hawk. Aside from the obligatory version of "Body and Soul", there are smoking versions of "Disorder at the Border", "Bean and the Boys" and more. Terell Stafford on trumpet is one soloist who particularly stands out. Check it out.

51MORoXvKEL._AA240_.jpg

Bennie Wallace has made a number of very good CDs. Most of the ones I have enjoyed have featured Bennie with top level piano players in quartet or trio sessions. This one is quite different and to my ears a winning recording. The arrangements are interesting versions of Bean's tunes, and the solos are first rate.

Bennie Wallace has a very unique tenor style that blends the unusual combination of Ben Webster's sound and feeling with Eric Dolphy's large interval jumps.

The post-bop nonet history should read something like Miles, Konitz, etc. Not Lovano, Wallace. No insult to either of the more "recent" gentlemen.

Have and love the Miles and Konitz nonet recordings. But with all due respect, my mention of Lovano and Wallace leading nonets was not to cite these recordings into some sort of jazz historical category, as neither Miles nor Konitz entered my mind. Rather, these relatively recent recordings are not big band and not small group, they simply each consist of groups 9 members strong. As such, I think that bit of information is important for the would-be buyer. As for the "no insult" comment, methinks you protest unnecessarily.

Edited by MartyJazz

There was George Coleman's fine mid-size group, too... when was that, mid 80s, roughly?

And here's another Bennie Wallace thread - no need to worry about me being a fan, I have plenty of Miles and Monk and Duke in my collection :)

The George Coleman late '70s to early '80s mid sized group was an octet. Coincidentally, I recently received a bootlegged PAL DVD of this group performing in Britain circa '81 which is quite fine.

Back to Wallace, I have all of his commercially released stuff, the earlier material mostly on LP, the stuff onward from the mid '80s on CD. I also have some private material on CD-R, e.g., trio sets performed in Berlin (Oct '78) and Amsterdam (Nov 2004). I also recall taping on open reel Wallace in a trio at WKCR back in the late '70s - have to convert that to digital one of these days assuming the tape hasn't become brittle (an unfortunate hazard that I occasionally encounter with old reel to reel tapes).

I had the opportunity to hear Wallace and a nonet play Hawkins associated pieces a few years ago at the Jazz Standard. Bennie and the group sounded great with terrific arrangements. Only the second time I've seen him live, but I have his Blue Note's and a few others. I'll be picking this one up for sure. He's a really fine player with ideas that always surprise.

Heres' the WKCR set info:

Bennie Wallace Trio

WKCR Studio, New York City (USA)

November 1977

Bennie Wallace - tenor sax

Eddie Gomez - bass

Eddie Moore - drums

1. Subconscious-Lee (Lee Konitz) 9:08

2. unknown (7:42)

3. Green and Yellow (Bennie Wallace) 8:43

4. Flamingo (Anderson-Grouya) 8:11

5. Subconsciuos-Lee (Konitz) [intro] > Blues Connotation (Ornette Coleman) 13:54

TT: 47:39

Fine one! If you find out the identity of the second tune, please let me know, Marty!

• 6 months later...