politically incorrect hipster speak

Just now watching "Song of the Thin Man" from 1947. Nick and Nora Charles are hanging out with Keenan Wynn, who is playing a jazz musician with lots of hipster lingo. Keenan's character is talking to a clarinet player and refers to the guy's horn as a "Jew Flute."

Never heard that one before... :blink:

Just now watching "Song of the Thin Man" from 1947. Nick and Nora Charles are hanging out with Keenan Wynn, who is playing a jazz musician with lots of hipster lingo. Keenan's character is talking to a clarinet player and refers to the guy's horn as a "Jew Flute."

Me either but Benny Goodman and Artie Shaw must be the reason.

Me either but Benny Goodman and Artie Shaw must be the reason.

Could be. I was thinking maybe a reference to Klezmer music...

the_enraged_musician.jpg

From http://www.fortunecity.de/lindenpark/hunde...r/517/Lamb.html

It is worthy of observation, that he has seldom drawn a mean or insignificant countenance.[1] Hogarth's mind was eminently reflective; and, as it has been well observed of Shakspeare, that he has transfused his own poetical character into the persons of his drama (they are all more or less poets) Hogarth has impressed a thinking character upon the persons of his canvas. This remark must not be taken universally. The exquisite idiotism of the little gentleman in the bag and sword beating his drum in the print of the Enraged Musician, would of itself rise up against so sweeping an assertion. But I think it will be found to be true of the generality of his countenances. The knife-grinder and Jew flute-player in the plate just mentioned, may serve as instances instead of a thousand. They have intense thinking faces, though the purpose to which they are subservient by no means required it; but indeed it seems as if it was painful to Hogarth to contemplate mere vacancy or insignificance.
Edited by JSngry

Didn't realize it went back as far as Hogarth. How soon before a Zorn or associates disc appropriates the title "Jew Flute"?

Song of the Thin Man is a weird flick. Nick and Nora seem very out of place in the 1940s, especially with film noir femme fatale Gloria Graham lurking about...

Song of the Thin Man is a weird flick. Nick and Nora seem very out of place in the 1940s, especially with film noir femme fatale Gloria Graham lurking about...

Yes, the earlier films (before they had a kid; a classic symptom of "Jumping the Shark") were a little more fun, as Nick and Nora partied non-stop.

Yes, the earlier films (before they had a kid; a classic symptom of "Jumping the Shark") were a little more fun, as Nick and Nora partied non-stop.

I would tend to agree, however The Thin Man Goes Home is one of my favorites. A very witty script by Robert Riskin and a classic Loy comedic performance.

In one of the last films, the kid was a young Dean Stockwell!

I've long thought of it as the worst entry in the series, the only one I really wish they hadn't made.

That's in the nature of the film series I guess. They can't stop cranking them out 'til they make a real stinker.

I've long thought of it as the worst entry in the series, the only one I really wish they hadn't made.

That's in the nature of the film series I guess. They can't stop cranking them out 'til they make a real stinker.

It's long been interesting to me pretty much solely for how Hollywood was depicting the quasi-bop hipster musicians in the film, and in the 1940s in general. Falls flat as a THIN MAN entry because much of the formula for the series' success rested on Powell and Loy's arch, knowing humor--but in this one they're shown as being older and suddenly somewhat square. Their "what the h are these kids talking about?" kind of responses wears out fast... the attempted transition didn't work.