October Conns.

Soul Stream

...banishing thoughts of Rooster sitting there listening to this stuff while many of us wait for the mail...

Actually, I've had a promo CD "Passing Ships" for about the last two months, but didn't want to spoil the suprise for everyone else. :P

(HA!!!! I wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :excited: )

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Dusty Groove now has a description for "Passing Ships". (They didn't as recently as a couple days ago - cuz lord knows I've been looking everywhere for any early words about this title.) So, this is the closest thing to a "review" that I've seen yet (though we all know how impartial Dusty Groove usually is ;) )...

new.gifAndrew Hill -- Passing Ships (previously unissued) . . . CD . . . $15.49  List Price: $17.98  (Item: 75949)

Blue Note, 1969 Condition: New Copy    View Cart   

Astounding work from pianist Andrew Hill -- a rare session that was recorded for Blue Note in 1969, and issued here for the first time! The work has an extremely ambitious approach -- with Hill leading a 9 piece group that includes Woody Shaw, Dizzy Reece, Julian Priester on trombone, Joe Farrell, Lenny White, and Ron Carter. The tracks are all originals -- written with a style that retains some of the modern edges of Hill's earlier Blue Note work, but which also shows him opening up and blossoming into more of a spiritualist jazz style. The larger group have an incredibly unified approach, and Farrell's solos in particular really break out with some wonderful moments -- helping Hill to realize the soulful modern sound that he was reaching for in his writing, a style that easily makes this one of his most compelling albums! Really really great stuff -- finally restored from tapes that had languished for years because of inferior quality. And the material's never been issued before -- not even by Mosaic -- with titles that include "The Brown Queen", "Cascade", "Yesterday's Tomorrow", "Sideways", "Passing Ships", and "Noon Tide".

As the third wheel of the KC connection (Free for All and Rosoter being the others), I can only say that I wish I could join you guys beating down the doors at Streetside. I am still waiting for CD Universe to put me in "shipping" mode :wacko:

Eric

Nothing at Streetside Records, yet. :unsure:

There weren't any jazz titles (or classical) in any of the boxes of new releases they've gotten so far, and they usually get more stuff from UPS on Tuesday mornings. So, maybe sometime in the next hour or two - "come back at lunchtime" they said.

Eric, I guess there's some real chance you'll get it in the mail, quicker than I will from Streetside!!! :o

Edited by Rooster_Ties

new.gifAndrew Hill -- Passing Ships (previously unissued) . . . CD . . . $15.49  List Price: $17.98   (Item: 75949)

Blue Note, 1969 Condition: New Copy     View Cart   

(...) The tracks are all originals -- written with a style that retains some of the modern edges of Hill's earlier Blue Note work, but which also shows him opening up and blossoming into more of a spiritualist jazz style. (...)

What for goodness' sake is "a spiritualist jazz style"??

Today's the first time I've ever been standing outside a Tower waiting for the doors to open in order to pick up a new release. Anyone who has "The Flip" vinyl knows that it would be next to impossible to foul it up...and on the whole it's a vast improvement. All you really have to do is listen to Philly Joe during the opening :10 of "Snappin' Out" to appreciate what they've done. On a track like "Feelin' Folksy", Mobley has been pulled out from a serious tin fog and sounds nice....plus there's the added benefit of there actually being some bass! They've also eliminated the drop out that occured about :30 into Hampton's solo on "The Flip". Hampton sounds great on "Early Morning Stroll" and "Snappin' Out" as does Reece, who has a commanding presence and no longer sounds as thin & wispy as he does on much of the vinyl. I also think that they did a nice job with the Benedetti piano solo on "Early Morning Stroll" but haven't made my mind up about the rest of his playing.

Album downside imo: still seems a bit cymbal heavy. Then again, I spent the better part of the last week clearing fallen trees with a chainsaw, axe & wedge so maybe the hearing's just plain shot? :o

Well, I think Passing Ships...

Sorry, Son-of-a-Weizen, I'll keep my mouth shut :mellow:

Seriously, whenever my guitarist/friend shows up to haul my sorry butt to my mailbox, I'll get to have my first listen to most of the new Conns. (They're all gifts; I didn't have a friend interested in the Rouse, so I didn't pick that one up.) Often, I wish my life was such that I could have a recorded music collection of my own. But sometimes, like sailboats, the best music collections are those of one's friends.

Album downside imo: still seems a bit cymbal heavy. Then again, I spent the better part of the last week clearing fallen trees with a chainsaw, axe & wedge so maybe the hearing's just plain shot? :o

If that were true, wouldn't it mean you'd be less able to hear hight frequencies like cymbals? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I often think that the cymbals should have been put far back in the mix on a lot of sessions. One of my pet peeves, along with "Why couldn't they keep the bass solo to less than ten seconds?"

Just stopped in at J and R in NYC on my lunch hour. They're selling the Conns. for $15.99 each. Any one know of any places in NYC or the internet where I can pick them up for a cheaper price. I was hoping they'd be on sale for $11.99-$12.99 but no such luck. Thanks.

new.gifAndrew Hill -- Passing Ships (previously unissued) . . . CD . . . $15.49  List Price: $17.98   (Item: 75949)

Blue Note, 1969 Condition: New Copy     View Cart   

(...) The tracks are all originals -- written with a style that retains some of the modern edges of Hill's earlier Blue Note work, but which also shows him opening up and blossoming into more of a spiritualist jazz style. (...)

What for goodness' sake is "a spiritualist jazz style"??

Well, at least Dusty Groove didn't call it "pretty darn good" like they did Grant Green's Easy. ;)

wouldn't that be funny as hell, if rooster couldn't find/hear that new hill conn, today....

:o

Son of a bitch!!! :angry:

Free For All and I got together to buy the new Hill Conn, and listen to it together for the first time. But at Noon today, Streetside Records still hadn't gotten their 'other' UPS shipments yet today. :angry::angry:

So we drive down to Barnes and Noble on the Plaza, and they don't have any of the Conns - nor was their store slated to carry them either (or at least they weren't ordered for people to buy today, "maybe sometime in the future though"). :angry::angry::angry:

So, then we drive our asses down to Borders Books down in Johnson County, KS - and after we turn the store upside down - we finally find the crash-cart with all the new releases that they hadn't put out yet. And after 10 minutes of searching, we find 5 of the six new Conns. Anybody wanna guess which Conn they didn't have???? ("maybe it'll come next week????") :angry::angry::angry::angry:

So, we go get some lunch, and then drive back to Streetside, hoping that the UPS truck had finally been there by then (it was about 2:30pm by that time), and when we got to Streetside, there hadn't been any more UPS boxes delivered today, so "maybe tomorrow??". :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

:(

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment, Rooster. I know how much you were looking forward to the Hill release.

I'll listen to it once more today just for you. :g

(sorry---I shouldn't gloat. I've been in your shoes many times myself.)

Rooster,

According to UPS, my copy is in Des Moines at the moment, which means it s/b in KC on Wednesday. You are more than welcome to swing by and borrow it - I will have my three young kids with me and their taste for AH is not quite as well developed as ours ;) Just let me know - I live in old Leawood - not too far from the KU Med area.

Eric