October Conns.

Soul Stream

Thanks Eric,

Much as I appreciate your offer, I probably shouldn't introduce another complication into this, by borrowing yours when you really won't have had time to spend with it.

I'm pretty sure Streetside will get theirs in tomorrow (since they didn't get hardly any new Jazz CD's in today, and none of their "new release" Classical titles).

But if I can't score this thing by Thursday, I might consider your offer, which is much appreciated.

(I live near K.U. Med myself, on the MO side.)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, despite all the " :angry: " smileys in my post up above, I'm really not as much angry about not having "Passing Ships" in my hot little hands, as much as I just want to hear the damn music, and read the linernotes.

( Now if I still don't have one after tomorrow (Wednesday), then I might start to be a little bit on the "angry" side. And if I still don't have one after Thursday -- then I'm really gonna be pissed!! <_< )

I've had some of these same problems over the years. Lately, I've found ordering from CDUniverse is a really good and fast option. Something to think about since I, like you, used to bum about stores not stocking these items fast enough. Or if they did, not getting the ONE you wanted...or someone beating you to the ONE the store ordered.

Really, I couldn't believe that Barnes and Noble didn't order ANY of the Conns, and Borders only ordered one of each title.

I would have thought B&N would have had one of each title, and Borders two of each title.

( And I thought it was bad that Streetside only ordered two of each Conn, or at least that's what they did the last time Conns came out. "Streetside" is the only regional independant recordstore that carries much in the way of "new" CD's, or any Jazz or Classical (besides B&N or Borders). )

Heck. My local TOWER has a new policy of only ordering 1 each of the new RVGs!!!! THAT stinks. It used to be 10 or so of each title. I don't know what's going on. If that's the RVG status, I can't imagine the Conn. situation. Needless to say, I want to support my brick and morter store...but now I'm a CD Universe guy when it comes to Blue Note.

Hey Rooster, no worries man. I live in Canada, you know that frigid place to the north (actually were experiencing unseasonably warm temperatures for this time of year), and our stores probably won't have the new Conns until a week from now, at least. More likely, I won't have the new Andrew Hill and Mobley's THE FLIP until a couple of weeks down the road. So calm down, have a pint of your favorite brew, and just think how lucky you are that you don't live in Canada or, worse yet, Europe. ;):lol:

My local Tower had several copies of each...but at $18.99 each! Ouch. Still want to support the local bricks and mortar stores when possible, so I plumped for two: FUCHSIA SWING SONG and PASSING SHIPS. On quick listen, FUCHSIA sounds superior in sound quality to either the Mosaic box or the 1995 TOCJ I have. Glad to have the upgrade, one of my top BN recordings of all time. PASSING SHIPS sounds like it's going to be intriguing, and also great sound quality...could this be the best batch of Conns yet in terms of remastering? Could be...can't WAIT to get the others, but at a better price (CDUniverse, here I come).

So, Rooster, none at B & N, only one each at Borders. That's pathetic. Doesn't surprise me that Barnes & Noble wouldn't have them, that place REALLY sucks (I'm serious this time). Borders is better, but you can't count on their music section being very good. They seem to vary from store to store, and their main business is BOOKS after all. A well-stocked, well-run independent is the way to go, although you've been having one Hell of an unlucky day. Every now and then God decides to mess with your mind---your number must have come up. I'm lucky; at my local independent micro-chain (Amoeba, 3 stores) they had all of the Conns, five or six copies each, displayed on the top row of the "New Releases" rack. Beauty.

Edited by BruceH

There's a brand-new Borders Book store up north of Kansas City (near the airport), so if Streetside doesn't have it by Noon tomorrow (Wednesday), I may shoot up there and give them a try.

I didn't go the Internet retailer route, cuz I was only planning on getting "Passing Ships" right now, and knew that the shipping charges would kill me on one disc. (I plan to get most of the rest sometime in the future, but I have several of them already on various Mosiacs, etc...)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Mine have been dispatched from Amazon UK - not a bad price at all (i think someone must have keyed in the wrong price , they are £11.99 now)

We thought you would like to know that the following items have been

sent to:

Gary Gray

using Royal Mail (3-5 business days).

Your order #(received 12 September 2003, 00:57 BST)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ordered Title Price Dispatched Subtotal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 BLUE NOTE YEARS CALENDAR 04 8.76 GBP 1 8.76 GBP

Sold by Amazon International Sales, Inc.

1 Mother Ship 6.99 GBP 1 6.99 GBP

1 Passing Ships 6.99 GBP 1 6.99 GBP

1 The Flip 6.99 GBP 1 6.99 GBP

1 Bossa Nova Bacchanal 6.99 GBP 1 6.99 GBP

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Subtotal Including VAT: 36.72 GBP

I missed out on the Lee Morgan - but im not complaining .

Mine have been dispatched from Amazon UK - not a bad price at all (i think someone must have keyed in the wrong price , they are £11.99 now)

Oh, please let me know if your copies are protected or not! My order is still pending because of the Morgan/Sonic boom cd! No risk - no fun!!! B)

Streetside didn't get any more new releases in today (I checked around Noon), so I found another Borders (not the one north of the river), that actually had "Passing Ships" in stock. On the upside, I managed to use that infamous 40% off coupon, so I got it for $10.79 + tax --- SWEET!!!!!

Now, I've read the liner-notes twice already, but I'm going to be REALLY good and not listen to the disc until "Free For All" calls me sometime in the next hour or two, in case he has time this afternoon to get together and listen to it for the first time ever, together.

Man, I'm sitting here looking right at the disc, and I even stuck it in my stereo to see how long it was (47:40), but I haven't heard a note of it yet. Can I make it for 2 hours more??????????? :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

DrJ---Fuchsia Swing Song has better sound than the Mosaic?? That's a bit of a surprise.

Not much of a surprise to surpass the hissyness of the Mosaic. How so is this one superior to the TOCJ sound?? ---but do tell---DrJ

Out of all of the new Connoisseurs I think this is THE classic of the batch. Imagine cracking this open and hearing this for the FIRST time! :o Now if they could have only tacked on what was muted on tape but probably rolling through the studio at the end of at least one of the takes of "DBU".

Now, I've read the liner-notes twice already, but I'm going to be REALLY good and NOT listen to the disc until "Free For All" calls me sometime in the next hour or two, in case he has time this afternoon to get together and listen to it for the first time ever, together.

Man, I'm sitting here looking right at the disc, and I even stuck it in my stereo to see how long it was (47:40), but I haven't heard a note of it yet.  Can I make it for 2 hours more???????????  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

Free For All doesn't have time to hang out this afternoon...

• (He gave me some B.S. about stuff he's got to do in order to close on buying a house in less than 48 hours. What's up with that shit?? Where's your priorities man?? You can buy a house any old time you want, but hearing 'new' old unreleased Andrew Hill doesn't happen all that damn often. ;) )

...so I'm listening to "Passing Ships" for the first time right now. Here I go!!!! :excited::excited::excited:

Rooster, your self-discipline is admirable. If it was me, I would've had that sucker playing before the mailman was off the property. Every man for himself, you know.

So go ahead and listen with my blessings. Knowing your anticipation of this release, I'd advise you to just make sure you have a towel handy.

BTW, our new house has an awesome "tune room" for me! It's a finished basement that's FAR from where my wife will be sleeping, so I can continue to enjoy my nocturnal habits. My favorite late-night activity is reading the board while listening to sides. The marriage is saved! :P

I broke down and got Bossa Nova Bacchanal today. Nice album, but guess what the bonus track is? "One For Five," which was the best track from the out of print Lost Sessions Conn. It doesn't really go with the rest of Bossa stylistically, but it's seven minutes of really great music that should be available. Good move, Michael. :tup

Edited by BruceH

BruceH - what can I say, the new Conn of FUCHSIA just sounds way better to me than the Mosaic, can't say I can explain it except that the Mosaic box is now 7 years old and remastering techniques have likely improved. There is no comparison - more alive, better balance and dynamic range, less tinny. Really a fine job, Ron McMaster deserves props for this and I've often been a vocal detractor. I've been listening and relistening to this old favorite, what an amazing album musically - spans the gamut of jazz history to that point, adventurous while definitely accessible. Love it!

Malcom Addey did the Andrew Hill and it's SUPERB - the impact of the tuba in particular is shocking for a recording made in 1969.