October Conns.

Soul Stream

www.amazon.de is pretty reliable on the copyprotection information. The Conns are listed as being protected, except "Sonic Boom". The reason seems indeed to be the playing time:

23) What is the maximum playing time that can be used for the CDS products?

- CDS-100 can protect up to 77 minutes of playing time

- CDS-200 can protect up to 73:49 minutes of playing time

- CDS-300 can protect up to 72 minutes of playing time

http://www.macrovision.com/products/cds/index.shtml --> Music CD Copy Protection FAQ

Blue Note CDs are protected by CDS200.

Edited by Claude

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those who say the new Conn of Fuchsia Swing Song sounds better than the Mosaic version, I have a few comments. I just got the Conn and immediately compared it to the Mosaic. The first track I played - Beatrice, obviously.

I noticed that the tape hiss is gone on the Conn, but also it seems to me that Tony Williams is down in the mix (I hate that) and that maybe the treble was a bit rolled off-leaving less "air" in the mix. But in other ways, maybe it sounds better.

I am still not sure what I think at this point.

To me the most obvious sign that we're dealing with a better remastering on the FUCHSIA Conn as compared with the Mosaic - you can actually hear the "air" in Rivers' sax, which you can't really say about the Mosaic (and definitely was not the case for the 1994 TOCJ).

DRJ

I guess everyone's equipment and ears are of course different. I am liking this FSS Conn a bit more than on first listen. I don't hear the air in the sax that you mention, but more and more I am liking the Conn. I still think Tony is down in the mix more than I would like and that the treble is a bit rolled off. Nevertheless, I might agree that it sounds better.

By the way, my copy goes haywire in the last minute of track 10, seems a manufacturing defect so I will be returning mine for what I hope is a copy that works. I suggest everyone check theirs.

By the way, my copy goes haywire in the last minute of track 10, seems a manufacturing defect so I will be returning mine for what I hope is a copy that works. I suggest everyone check theirs.

Interesting that you say this as over the weekend I noticed problems with the Andrew Hill and the Charlie Rouse. When I played them both on the "burning" side of my Phillips burner they started skipping around after about 20 seconds. When I then played them on the "play" side of my burner they played fine.

No other disc I own skips around like that on the "burn" side of my burner. The only two that have are the two new Conns. Coincidence or are these copy-protected somehow?

I played the Hill on my computer and it seemed fine, however....

I don't know what to think. Anybody experience any other problems with this batch?

So far no such problems, Jim.

However, don't recall if it was in this thread (too long to go back and search) or another - but I do agree that the remastering for the 2nd session on SONIC BOOM appears to have been botched (or, the master tape used was not the cleanest copy). There's all kinds of staticky-sounding distortion on the left track that was definitely NOT there at all on the TOCJ which paired the same music with PROCRASTINATOR. I did an A/B comparison and it's obvious, not something you'd have to strain to hear. Although it's less prominent on the first tune, it's there too, but it really gets obnoxious starting with "Stormy Weather." This is too bad because McMaster did a really good job with the original SONIC BOOM cuts - IMHO they sound much better than they did on the TOCJ of that date, which (unusually for that series) sounded very compressed.

Bummer...had planned to trade in that PROCRASTINATOR TOCJ, but guess I'll have to hold on to it now.

Thankfully no problem on my 'FSS' :) and of course the opposite goes for the last half of 'Sonic Boom':( .

And skeith, I can't say Tony is "down in the mix" any more so than Carter is. The drums sound phenomenal on this one and I can do with less treble than was evident on the brittle Mosaic. For the most part to my ears many a Blue Note silver disc from the early days has that hiss and crackle cropping up somewhere.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...