October Conns.

Soul Stream

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, 'fraid I'm planning to buy it at my favorite shiny disc emporium the day it comes out. They open at 10am, and knowing them - they won't have even put out any of the "non-Rock" new releases yet by 10am.

So, of course that means they'll have to search through the boxes to try to find the jazz box, and dig through it. And if it isn't there, then maybe there were two jazz boxes, or maybe some of the jazz titles got mixed in with the rock "restock" titles.

In any case, I'm sure it won't be until 10:30am before I have the disc in my hot little hands.

Hey FREE FOR ALL - you still game for a little mid-day "listening party" on Tuesday, so we can both take in "Passing Ships" for the first time, within the same airspace (on the same stereo)??? Could be fun.

Hey FREE FOR ALL - you still game for a little mid-day "listening party" on Tuesday, so we can both take in "Passing Ships" for the first time, within the same airspace (on the same stereo)???  Could be fun.

I preordered from CDUniverse so they probably won't arrive 'til after the 7th. Your plan sounds like it might be a good one. I'll call you!

Damn, we're getting close. All the conns are now up (with descriptive info) on the Blue Note site:

http://www.bluenote.com/newreleases.asp

=====================================

Andrew Hill- Passing Ships

This amazing 1969 nonet session, released here for the first time, features spectacular writing by Hill that presages his current big band. The instrumentation is one reed (doubling on tenor, soprano, alto flute and English horn), two trumpets, trombone, French horn, tuba (doubling on bass clarinet), piano, bass and drums. Joe Farrell, Woody Shaw, Dizzy Reece, Julian Priester and Hill are the principal soloists, and the compositions are varied and inventive.

Andrew Hill: piano

Woody Shaw, Dizzy Reece: trumpets

Julian Priester: trombone

Bob Northern: French horn

Howard Johnson: tuba, bass clarinet

Joe Farrell: soprano sax, tenor sax, alto flute, bass clarinet, English horn

Ron Carter: bass

Lenny White: drums

Track Listing

1 Sideways

2 Passing Ships

3 Plantation Bag

4 Noon Tide

5 The Brown Queen

6 Cascade

7 Yesterday's Tomorrow

Charlie Rouse- Bossa Nova Bacchanal

Rouse was the consummate hard-bopper, but he had an affinity for the delicate melodies and irresistible rhythms of Brazilian samba music. This 1962 album with Kenny Burrell, Willie Bobo and Patato Valdes among others was his first foray into the genre and his muscular lyricism suits the material perfectly.

Hank Mobley- The Flip

On CD at last, this Mobley’s second-to-last Blue Note session and it took place in Paris with Dizzy Reece, Slide Hampton, Vince Benedetti, Alby Cullaz and Philly Joe Jones. All the tunes are by Hank and highlights include the title tune and “Early Morning Stroll”.

Larry Young- Mother Ship

Larry Young’s final Blue Note session with Lee Morgan, Herbert Morgan and Eddie Gladden has the instrumentation and exploratory feeling of “Unity” combined with the intensity and power of Tony Williams’ Lifetime, of which Larry was a member. This title is on CD for the first time.

Lee Morgan- Sonic Boom

This marvelous 1967 date with David Fathead Newman, Cedar Walton, Ron Carter and Billy Higgins was not released until 1980. This is its first CD issue with a bonus session made in 1969 with George Coleman, Julian Priester and Harold Mabern.

Sam Rivers- Fuschia Swing Song

Rivers’ magnificent debut album with Jaki Byard, Ron Carter and Tony Williams is pure chemistry by four masters. Rivers and Byard, both eclectic virtuosos, go back to the ‘40s together and Sam had been playing with Williams since he was 12 (he’s all of 18 here). A classic album of taste, spirit and discovery with four alternate takes.

Are we there yet??? Are we there yet??? Are we there yet??? Are we there yet???

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Man, what a line-up of re-issues. I don't think anyone can complain about this batch: unreleased Andrew Hill, previously hard-to-find Lee Morgan, a Sam Rivers date, some rare Hank Mobley, and more! I'm seriously thinking about getting all of them (eventually) except the Rivers, which I have on the Mosaic set. Unfortunately I'll have to wait slightly longer (being in Canada), but dangnabbit, it'll be worth it!

Nope, 'fraid I'm planning to buy it at my favorite shiny disc emporium the day it comes out. They open at 10am, and knowing them - they won't have even put out any of the "non-Rock" new releases yet by 10am.

So, of course that means they'll have to search through the boxes to try to find the jazz box, and dig through it. And if it isn't there, then maybe there were two jazz boxes, or maybe some of the jazz titles got mixed in with the rock "restock" titles.

In any case, I'm sure it won't be until 10:30am before I have the disc in my hot little hands.

Boy, Rooster, you must be popular there! :D

Leeway Posted on Oct 2 2003, 06:30 PM

I am not familiar at all with the Charlie Rouse Conn, "Bossa Nova Bacchanal." Can anyone enlighten me on this one? I'm not a big bossa nova fan, but I dig Rouse's work on Monk albums. Is it worth straining the budget for this one? 

Well, hard for me to tell you what to buy, but - I dig BOSSA NOVA BACCHANAL. Not a "five star" disc for me, but highly enjoyable. Rouse does the material justice, he seemed to have delved deeper into the grooves and feel of the music than many who slapped the "bossa" appellation onto whatever they happened to be doing when the craze hit. His rather idiosyncratic approach just seems to jibe well with the rhythms for some reason.

To "anchor" this date to what may be a familiar reference point to you, BOSSA NOVA BACCHANAL strikes me as being at least as successful as Ike Quebec's SOUL SAMBA, perhaps more so. Ike's tone was well-suited to that type of music, and I enjoy that one for what it is, but I don't think Quebec was as intrinsically comfortable with (or as genuinely creative within) the genre as Rouse sounds to have been.

Edited by DrJ

Leeway Posted on Oct 2 2003, 06:30 PM

I am not familiar at all with the Charlie Rouse Conn, "Bossa Nova Bacchanal." Can anyone enlighten me on this one? I'm not a big bossa nova fan, but I dig Rouse's work on Monk albums. Is it worth straining the budget for this one? 

Well, hard for me to tell you what to buy, but - I dig BOSSA NOVA BACCHANAL. Not a "five star" disc for me, but highly enjoyable. Rouse does the material justice, he seemed to have delved deeper into the grooves and feel of the music than many who slapped the "bossa" appellation onto whatever they happened to be doing when the craze hit. His rather idiosyncratic approach just seems to jibe well with the rhythms for some reason.

To "anchor" this date to what may be a familiar reference point to you, BOSSA NOVA BACCHANAL strikes me as being at least as successful as Ike Quebec's SOUL SAMBA, perhaps more so. Ike's tone was well-suited to that type of music, and I enjoy that one for what it is, but I don't think Quebec was as intrinsically comfortable with (or as genuinely creative within) the genre as Rouse sounds to have been.

AND, Kenny Burrell's on guitar. His presence alone makes me want to pick up the disc. However, this one will probably be one of the last of the new Conns that I'll get, simply because I have a larger interest in the other artists (Mobley, Hill, etc).

Edited by pryan

From the TOCJ:

1. Back to the Tropics (Whipper)

2. Aconteceu (Lincoln-Cezar)

3. Velhos Tempos (Luiz Bonfa)

4. Samba De Orfeu (Luiz Bonfa)

5. Un Dia (Rouse-Benskina)

6. Meci Bon Dieu (Frantz Casseus)

7. In Martinique (Belasco-Whipper)

I'm looking forward to getting the Bossa Nova cd. I don't have a lot of Charlie Rouse (aside from Monk), except for Taking Care of Business, Social Call (new from Uptown and which I recommend) and Unsung Hero, plus I'm keen on latin rhythms so I think this should be a treat. This one's prime for me of all the Conns coming out in a couple of days.

Just this afternoon I talked to a local friend of mine (Joe K., who our own Free For All knows too), and he said he had heard one cut from "Passing Ships" on a local jazz show on a public/community radio station here in Kansas City, sometime last week.

He said the tune was called "The Brown Queen", and featured a fairly amazing Woody Shaw solo. The tune was in 3/4. I pumped him for more information, but that's all he could remember.

Only 4 days, 9 hours, and 39 minutes left to wait.... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: