October Conns.

Soul Stream

You've sold me on it!!!!! Actually, though I have the Rivers Mosaic I'd seriously considered getting Fuschia just to have it in separate, "album" form. Partly because I love the album and I'm conceptually wedded to the album paradigm, partly cuz I'm such a sucker. But if it has superior sound then all the better!

I agree with you about the Hill---sounds great! An amazing restoration job, especially considering that the tapes were rumored to be a sonic mess.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine have been dispatched from Amazon UK - not a bad price at all (i think someone must have keyed in the wrong price , they are £11.99 now)

Oh, please let me know if your copies are protected or not! My order is still pending because of the Morgan/Sonic boom cd! No risk - no fun!!! B)

Bad News Alfred !

Ive just opened my Amazon package & all 4 ARE copyright protected.

Bad news on the copy protect front. Obviously there was a sliver of hope that these would be US imports rather than euro-pressings, as the Conns of course always used to be. I was pretty sure they would be protected and didn't order them even at 'bargain' price. I'm not so easily lured!

If you wanted you could return them to amazon. Of course you will get into a big to-do with them, but there is a Trades Description Act issue - they describe them as CDs and EMI most plainly admit that they are not on their own website (and by not using the CD logo which they are prohibited from using by Philips).

Good news all mine came through at the really cheap price and I really like the Andrew HIll Passing Ships.

Just makes me wish there was more of this great mans music around. It was nice to have a nice clean copy of Hanks The flip as well too.

This was for someone with lots of Blue note cds a nice surprise indeed. Now all I am waiting for are Going West which seems along time waiting for and Ghetto Music

Andy :lol:

Bad news on the copy protect front. Obviously there was a sliver of hope that these would be US imports rather than euro-pressings, as the Conns of course always used to be. I was pretty sure they would be protected and didn't order them even at 'bargain' price. I'm not so easily lured!

If you wanted you could return them to amazon. Of course you will get into a big to-do with them, but there is a Trades Description Act issue - they describe them as CDs and EMI most plainly admit that they are not on their own website (and by not using the CD logo which they are prohibited from using by Philips).

Thanks for the info David ,

I respect your views on this matter but to be honest I think i'll stick with the titles - they play on my CD deck, PC & car stereo & i really want the music.

Unless I'm overlooking something, I don't think a single word has been said about the new round of Conns over on the AAJ board. Nothing about "Passing Ships", or any of the others.

Back before AAJ went down for a couple weeks, I used to have a poll that I started there asking which of the 6 Conns people were most interested in getting. The thread never went very far, although (much to my surprise) "Passing Ships" was leading in the votes.

But then Oct. 7th comes and goes, and not a single word mentioned about the Conns.

Man, just goes to show how my heart is more with the Organissimo board. AAJ may be fine for some things, but how can a jazz board not even have any mention or any discussion (none!!!) about what we've started three or four separate threads about here, some of which (by now) are starting to get a bit lengthy.

AAJ may be fine for some things, but how can a jazz board not even have any mention or any discussion (none!!!) about what we've started three or four separate threads about here, some of which (by now) are starting to get a bit lengthy.

Maybe posters at AAJ are just a tad less interested in these releases or even the kind of jazz people are talking so much about here...

Why don't you start a thread about these discs over there and see what happens?

Edited by J.A.W.

Thanks for the info David ,

I respect your views on this matter but to be honest I think i'll stick with the titles - they play on my CD deck, PC & car stereo & i really want the music.

I agree Gary. I think if I had ordered them I would keep them too, and the price was good. I just took a decision not to buy. Same is true of the last RVGs, which I could have bought for £5 each at Fopp in Edinburgh the other week. Since I know I will eventually pick up the US versions I decided to do so, but equally there is no point cutting of your nose to spite your face. I wasn't pressurising you into a one-out-all-out situation! ;) Plus you have the music and I will have to wait ... :(

I'm still pretty disappointed in the sound on the new Conn. of "The Flip." I guess the sound is just not on the tape. Still very tinny to my ears. :(

I was wondering about this. I only ever had the title tune, and that was on a UK Blue Note anthology. The sound was poor, but the sound in general on those UK complations is a bit muddy, so I didn't know what factor was to blame. It is still likely to be a lot better than the version I had. It was recorded in Paris, wasn't it (?), where the engineering results at the time were variable.

BruceH - what can I say, the new Conn of FUCHSIA just sounds way better to me than the Mosaic, can't say I can explain it except that the Mosaic box is now 7 years old and remastering techniques have likely improved. There is no comparison - more alive, better balance and dynamic range, less tinny. Really a fine job, Ron McMaster deserves props for this and I've often been a vocal detractor. I've been listening and relistening to this old favorite, what an amazing album musically - spans the gamut of jazz history to that point, adventurous while definitely accessible. Love it!

Malcom Addey did the Andrew Hill and it's SUPERB - the impact of the tuba in particular is shocking for a recording made in 1969.

YowsaH! Thanks for the props on this on DrJ.

Just picked up 'FSS' and have to reitterate that this is one of the finest sounding Connoisseurs yet.

McMaster has virtually eliminated all of the hi shimmer from the Mosaic. The opening of the title cut lets you hear the earthiness of the keys against the pads, the cymbals are taken down a step which to me provides more clarity than the crispiness heard previously. Byard's phenomenal solo on "Ellipsis" just rocks and Williams' solos throughout seem to bounce that virtual VU needle all over the place rather than the consistent topping out of the Mosaic!! Zip straight to "Beatrice" for an A/B and there is NO tape hiss at all. Warm as that sepia-tone liner photo. I haven't listened fully and have just been skipping around with these two discs but have to hand it to Ron for nailing this one big time. An RVG of this could never have sounded this good. Outstanding!!! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Now all I am waiting for are Going West  which seems along time waiting for and Ghetto Music

Goin West is already in print in Japan, so maybe you don't need to wait?

It's available on Dustygroove right now as a Japanese Paper Sleeve version. Which might or might not mean RVG. I'm not sure. Either way, it's the first time I've seen it available on DG.

Already got mine sorted through Hiroshi so I just have to wait for a few more to come out to complete an order and then it will be on its way.

As for the Flip it does not sound like the other Blue Notes of the period becasue of where it was recorded but it still is very fresh and slightly better than what I had originally not to dis the generous person who lined me up with a burn as I was very grateful. By the way if anyone in the UK is debating about buying it I will lend them the cdr that I have and then they can make up their mind but I would go ahead and get it as it was unavailable for soooooooooooooooooooooo long

I think i'll stick with the titles - they play on my CD deck, PC & car stereo

When you play them on the PC, does the disc have its own player that pops up and plays compressed files?

The reason I ask is that I spotted a European copy of the Sonic Boom Connoisseur in a local shop today. It said "Printed in the EU". But nowhere was any mention of copy control to be found (unlike the recent Morgan RVG that was sitting in the same rack)! So now I'm confused. Are the European Connoisseurs copy protected or not? Or are there two different European versions? Any reports from other Europeans?

Gary said his definitely are. If so, surely they all are? Maybe it depends on the country. Or maybe the logo is not as prominently displayed as it might be? For example, on Montara, which is copy protected here in the EU, the warning logo in the front left of the insert tray is almost invisible. However the rear of the CD carried the inforamtion prominently.

I looked closely both at the front and the back cover. I even took out the booklet and perused it, but no mention of copy control there either, although it had the new blurb about how illegal copying is hurting artists etc. The funny thing is that on the front left of the insert tray that you mention the text about ”connoisseur” and ”limited edition” was contracted to the right, as it has been on the copy controlled discs so as to give room to the left for the copy control information. But that part was just blank on this Conn! And the back cover looked like it used to, with the album title and then artist name at the top. Not like the recent RVGs that I’ve seen, which have copy control information at the top. I’ll see how the other Conns look when they arrive in the store. This was the only one they had. It is strange, isn’t it? Maybe the disc really is copy controlled and they are hiding the fact so as not to scare away buyers. That’s obviously the strategy they use on the net, where these discs often are listed as ”CDs” and the copy protection almost never is indicated.

i have 4 of the new Conns (sonic booms on the way) & each have the copycontrolled logo in the left hand of the tray & in a box on the back (about the size of a barcode) , exactly like the last batch of RVGs & BN new releases. I'm sure you wouldnt have missed it Swinging Swede .

& yes it does play through their own programme on a PC , which downloads the first time you play a copy controlled BN.

Guys! I just realized something! The Lee Morgan Conn has no copy control information … because it can't have any copy control! It is a very long disc, since it includes two original LPs – probably around 75 minutes – so there just wouldn’t be enough room for compressed files of the same tunes. (Unless they were to be reduced to an unacceptably low quality.) I’m almost certain that is the reason.

So this means that whenever an album is over a certain length it has to be released in the CD format, if it is to be playable on a computer (early copy protected formats weren’t). That’s interesting!