"Don't misunderstand" Houston Person & Etta Jones

992831.jpg

This album came out last week. My copy turned up today.

Personnel

Etta Jones (vcl) on 2, 3, 4 & 5

Houston Person (ts)

Sonny Phillips (org)

Frankie Jones (d)

1 Blue Monk (8:40)

2 Don't misunderstand (3:51)

3 Exactly like you (5:25)

4 AIn't misbehavin' (4:18)

5 I saw stars (4:02)

6 I'm glad there is you (7:32)

7 Bluesology (10:18)

8 Are you real (9:21)

Oh my, on my, this is some recording!!!!

OK, I LOVE these two together. So I AM biased. They are great live. When I saw them in 1990, they put on a wonderful show at the Blue Note. But I never saw them like this.

Houston, Sonny and Frankie take the lion's share of the CD. But Etta's performances are really there - particularly the title track, which is another object lesson in how Etta can GET you! It is almost in a different galaxy to the version she recorded about three years before on the "My mother's eyes" LP. But Etta and Houston are kind of known factors.

THERE IS A REVELATION IN HERE - it's SONNY PHILLIPS.

I've got everything Sonny recorded, but he never really CONNECTED with me 'til now. His playing here is awesome; no guitarist, so he is taking the load. And he plays really so much MORE than I've ever heard him before. Maybe, simply because he's taking the load, what he's playing is so much more in your face than usual. He also takes a bass solo, which not too many organists have tried (only Lou Bennett, I think, and that was on a trick machine).

All organ fans should have this album!!!!! End of story.

MG

992831.jpg

Personnel

Houston Person (ts)

Sonny Phillips (org)

Frankie Jones (d)

OK, I LOVE these two together. So I AM biased. They are great live. When I saw them in 1990, they put on a wonderful show at the Blue Note. But I never saw them like this.

Houston, Sonny and Frankie take the lion's share of the CD. But Etta's performances are really there - particularly the title track, which is another object lesson in how Etta can GET you! It is almost in a different galaxy to the version she recorded about three years before on the "My mother's eyes" LP. But Etta and Houston are kind of known factors.

I've got everything Sonny recorded, but he never really CONNECTED with me 'til now. His playing here is awesome; no guitarist, so he is taking the load. And he plays really so much MORE than I've ever heard him before. Maybe, simply because he's taking the load, what he's playing is so much more in your face than usual. He also takes a bass solo, which not too many organists have tried (only Lou Bennett, I think, and that was on a trick machine).

MG

Anything new by Houston Person is an automatic "buy" for me so thanks for the heads up. Too bad the Jazz Depot website doesn't have any sound samples up though.

992831.jpg

Personnel

Houston Person (ts)

Sonny Phillips (org)

Frankie Jones (d)

MG

Anything new by Houston Person is an automatic "buy" for me so thanks for the heads up. Too bad the Jazz Depot website doesn't have any sound samples up though.

They're always quite slow to put new releases on. Pity.

MG

Im heading to virgin megastore today, hopefully they have it. Love sonny phillips!

Well, i forgot to look for it when i went. But i'm heading back on saturday so i'll look again.

I was listening to Sonny Phillips record 'black on black' the other day and really enjoyed it, especially his version of 'Blues in Maudes Flat' A MFin' smoker!

• 15 years later...
On 9/1/2022 at 11:55 AM, Rabshakeh said:

Anyone? 

I'm a big Etta fan and like Houston Person a lot, including his later day records like Live In Paris, but hadn't until recently noticed that they released records together.

I now realise that this is a thread about jazz singer Etta Jones, and not blues singer Etta James. Je suis un idiot.

Edited by Rabshakeh

My favorite Etta Jones is Save Your Love for Me (Muse, 1981):

Mi04OTg0LmpwZWc.jpeg

with Houston, Cedar, Duvivier, a.o.

On 9/2/2022 at 8:25 PM, Rabshakeh said:

I now realise that this is a thread about jazz singer Etta Jones, and not blues singer Etta James. Je suis un idiot.

It's a very common mistake!  IIRC, allmusic.com mixes up their releases too.

On 9/1/2022 at 8:57 AM, JSngry said:

Try If You Could See Me Now, Muse 1979. Everybody's still spry. 

I've been meaning to get that one!  

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

Didn't discover the farting until I put "What A Little Moonlight Can Do" on one of my BFTs and was reviewing every thing for sequencing, flow, just hyperlistening, and there it was. I tried to make be something else, anything else. But nope. It's a fart. 

well, as someone said above about Person, "he's taking the load."

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 0:52 PM, JSngry said:

Didn't discover the farting until I put "What A Little Moonlight Can Do" on one of my BFTs and was reviewing every thing for sequencing, flow, just hyperlistening, and there it was. I tried to make be something else, anything else. But nope. It's a fart. 

12461190134_b8a9004a14_b.jpg?w=600