What Fantasy and OJC CDs did you buy?

mikeweil

Lon, nope. The thread that started it all was other than the three you linked. I remember that I was traveling on business at the time, and most of you had already placed your orders by the time I got home.

I still think the third thread is the one that started it all. . . it certainly was the first place I noticed the sale, and I kept reading that thread. . . look at posts 13-15. . . mgraham's post 15 was the one that started me on the blowout sale.

The Warning Shot from Chuck came much earlier than the Blowout Sale though. Chuck's warning came on Dec. 1, 2004, whereas the great Blowout Sale was 2006.

I took notes and made at least 2 orders from good ole All-Direct in 2005.

Pepper Adams - 10 To 4 At The 5 Spot and Encounter!

Gene Ammons - The Happy Blues

Kenny Burrell w/ Coleman Hawkins

Jaki Byard - ..Experience

Curtice Counce Group - Vol. 1 Landslide

Sonny Criss - Portrait Of Sonny Criss

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis etc. - Very Saxy

Walt Dickerson - Relativity and To My Queen

Teddy Edwards Quartet - Teddy's Ready

Booker Ervin - The Space Book

Art Farmer - Portrait Of

Benny Golson - Groovin'

Wardell Gray - Memorial 1 & 2

Gigi Gryce - The Rat Race Blues

Hampton Hawes - For Real!

Barris Harris - Bull's Eye!

Coleman Hawkins - Soul and Hawk Eyes

Elmo Hope Trio - Meditations

Lee Konitz Duets

Shelly Manne - Black Hawk 3, Manne-Hole 1

Blue Mitchell - Big 6 and Out Of The Blue

Lennie Niehaus - Vol 1

George Russell - Ezz-thetics

Zoot Sims - ...& The Gershwin Brothers

Hal Singer w/ Charlie Shavers - Blue Stompin' (the 1st rec in Chuck's thread. )

Duane Tatro - Jazz For Moderns

Rene Thomas - Guitar Groove

Leroy Vinnegar - Leroy Walks!

Blowout Sale!

Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor (K2)

Lil Harding Armstrong - Chicago: Living Legends

Harry Babison & Bob Enevoldsen - Jazz In Hollywood

Chet Baker - SIngs..., In NY, and Chet (all K2)

Charlie Byrd - Bossa Nova Pelos Passaros

Teddy Charles - New Directions

John Coltrane - Prestige Box (due to price, not fear it'd disappear)

Ted Curson - Fire Down Below

Eric Dolphy - Outward Bound and At The 5 Spot (K2) - upgrades

Bill Evans - At Shelly's Manne-Hole (K2)

Farmer, Cohn, Burrell, Waldron - Prestige All-Stars

Don Friedman - Dreams & Explorations

Vince Guaraldi Trio - Jazz Impressions Of Black Orpheus (K2)

Hampton Hawes Trio - Vol. 1and Everybody Likes...(K2)

Herbie Harper - Jazz In Hollywood

Jimmy Heath - Swamp Seed

Earl Hines - Another Monday Date

Percy Humphrey - ...Crescent City Joymakers

Franz Jackson - ...Original Jass All-Star...

Milt Jackson/Wes Montgomery - Bags Meets Wes (K2)

Bobby Jasper - w/ George Wllington

Thad Jones, Frank Wess....- Olio

Barney Kessell - The Artistry Of..

Barney Kessell etc. - The Poll Winners (K2)

Shelly Manne - My Fair Lady (K2)

Thelonious Monk - Mulligan Meets Monk (K2) upgrade

Kid Ory - Favorites!

Art Pepper - Meets The Rhythm, Smack Up, Winter Moon (K2 upgrades)

Art Pepper - Intensity

Bill Perkins - Quietly There

Dave Pike - Carnavals (the only one not worth $3. :-)

Dewey Redman - Musics

Sonny Rollins w/ the MJQ (K2), Tenor Madness (K2) upgrade

Rex Stewart & The Ellingtonians

Buddy Tate/Claude Hopkins - Buddy & Claude

Kid Thomas & His Algiers Stompers - New Orleans Living Legends

Various - Recorded in N.O. Vol 1

George Wallington - Jazz For The Carriage Trade

Steve White - Jazz In Hollywood

Lem Winchester - Lem's Beat

Albert Wynn & His Gutbucket Seven - Chicago: The Living Legends

Since the blowout I haven't been aggressively going after them due to other interests. I have picked up a few Concord RVGs of issues I didn't have. However, I've picked up a couple of used locally within the past month.

Lennie Niehaus - Vol 5

Max Roach - Deeds, Not Words (I passed on the Mosaic)

Edited by Quincy

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting that excellent read on Zaentz, KH1958!

I second that emotion.

Only one detail:

Fantasy was the kooky Frisco label that pressed red, yellow and purple LPs.

I've seen red, blue, and green LPs, but never yellow or purple. Oh, the colorful fantasy (!) of journalists ....

Only one detail:

I've seen red, blue, and green LPs, but never yellow or purple. Oh, the colorful fantasy (!) of journalists ....

Actually , some of Fantasy's 10-inch LPs were pressed on purple vinyl :

DaveBrubeckTrioonFantasy.jpg

FantasyPurpleVinyl.jpg

Yellow vinyl pressings wouldn't surprise me , since I believe that even vinyl with multi-color marbling was issued .

In addition , some of Fantasy's disco 12" singles in the late 70's may have used exotically colored vinyl as well .

Even some OJC LP reissues of Fantasy titles have been printed on coloured vinyl. I have OJC 283 (The Montgomery Brothers in Canada) on red vinyl, OJC 120, "Jazz Guitarist" by Eddie Duran, the Getz/Tjader and some more.

Edited by Eloe Omoe

Still holding out on Coleman Hawkin's Sirius - should I get this one?

I traded my LP after many years - brought back too many memories of seeing Hawk in terrible shape on a public TV show filmed not long before he passed. Have to say that Hawk's playing is much better on Sirius than it was on that show.

On the other hand, I've kept and still listen to Pres' Laughin' To Keep From Cryin', and Pres' playing on that one shows a greater loss of control than Coleman Hawkins' on Sirius. (Outside of the music, the cover on Cryin' is one of my favorites.)

If you have a lot of other Hawk, you might want to give it a try. You probably aren't carrying the baggage I have, and will obviously hear it with different ears.

Only one detail:

Actually , some of Fantasy's 10-inch LPs were pressed on purple vinyl :

DaveBrubeckTrioonFantasy.jpg

FantasyPurpleVinyl.jpg

Yellow vinyl pressings wouldn't surprise me , since I believe that even vinyl with multi-color marbling was issued .

In addition , some of Fantasy's disco 12" singles in the late 70's may have used exotically colored vinyl as well .

That one I saw on an ebay auction, but it looked more like blue on my screen ..... I tend to give in, although I think this looks more like blue, and shines though in purple .

Edited by mikeweil

Yikes! I haven't bought any Fantasy, OJC stuff for a very long time. I am reading this thread and it feels like I am missing a lot of good music I have never considering buying. I don't even know where to start and as I am now converted to vinyl, it makes it even worse. Prestige original LPs sell for a fortune on Ebay and they are very scarce. What are the OJC reissues that you can find on the True Blue website like?

:tup

I don't know--I bought a used copy of Sirius recently, I doubt that I will ever listen to it again.

What can I say, it holds up to repeated listening for me, I like it.

In that case, I should give it another chance, I'm probably wrong.

Yikes! I haven't bought any Fantasy, OJC stuff for a very long time. I am reading this thread and it feels like I am missing a lot of good music I have never considering buying. I don't even know where to start and as I am now converted to vinyl, it makes it even worse. Prestige original LPs sell for a fortune on Ebay and they are very scarce. What are the OJC reissues that you can find on the True Blue website like?

Generally, True Blue sells acknowledged masterpies. If you like acknowledged masterpies, buy with confidence.

MG

:tup

I don't know--I bought a used copy of Sirius recently, I doubt that I will ever listen to it again.

What can I say, it holds up to repeated listening for me, I like it.

In that case, I should give it another chance, I'm probably wrong.

I traded my LP after many years - brought back too many memories of seeing Hawk in terrible shape on a public TV show filmed not long before he passed. Have to say that Hawk's playing is much better on Sirius than it was on that show.

On the other hand, I've kept and still listen to Pres' Laughin' To Keep From Cryin', and Pres' playing on that one shows a greater loss of control than Coleman Hawkins' on Sirius. (Outside of the music, the cover on Cryin' is one of my favorites.)

If you have a lot of other Hawk, you might want to give it a try. You probably aren't carrying the baggage I have, and will obviously hear it with different ears.

Thanks guys - I'll be getting it soon. :)

Even some OJC LP reissues of Fantasy titles have been printed on coloured vinyl. I have ..... on red vinyl, OJC 120, "Jazz Guitarist" by Eddie Duran ..... and some more.

Hmm ..... my OJC copy of the Duran (which is a very fine album, btw) is on black vinyl.

I' still adding to the list in my first post - still picking discs from the shelf, and at this instant it's 92 CDs, not counting the box sets ... :w:ph34r:

I added quite a few more, too, yesterday... not counting the probably 150 I got in 2001's 3 euro sale... and before that the two Bill Evans boxes, then after that the Mingus Debut box... crazy times! Now I need a break!

I've got so many OJC cds I probably don't need any more. . . .

But I did spend some dollars this week getting the Bob Scobey and Clancy Hayes Good Time Jazz cds that I didn't have. . . some at bargain prices, some not.

And I ordered two OJC cds that include Johnny LaPorta lps. . . .I have one at home in Austin, but I was in the mood and ordering the other so I will soon have a copy here in Houston.

Also ordered the Gus Mancuso twofer.

Edited by jazzbo

Picked up some more discs with the Universal stamp:

Oscar Peterson & Harry Edison

Sonny Rollins - Love At First Sight

Bill Evans - I Will Say Goodbye

Cal Tjader - Latin Kick

Count Basie - Basie Jam #3

Expecting dozens more good to decent finds for the rest of the year.

Seeing this thread pop up again made me realize that I haven't bought any of these in weeks. WEEKS, I tell you.

This Wednesday, I have to visit Harvard Square, home of a brick and mortar Newbury Comics. I hope I can resist taking a peek at what's left of their OJCS, some still going for $3.99 last time I took a gander, not to mention a plunge...