What Fantasy and OJC CDs did you buy?

mikeweil

Seeing this thread pop up again made me realize that I haven't bought any of these in weeks. WEEKS, I tell you.

This Wednesday, I have to visit Harvard Square, home of a brick and mortar Newbury Comics. I hope I can resist taking a peek at what's left of their OJCS, some still going for $3.99 last time I took a gander, not to mention a plunge...

Just wondering, how many "Newburys" are there? I'm just curious, are the folks at Newbury appreciative (or even cognizent) of the business generated by the Organissimo board? I guess they wouldn't have any way of knowing this, but they should. If you do happen to visit them, please thank them (on behalf, I would expect, of many on this board) for their prompt service and excellent selection. I, for one, have been very satisfied with their service (better than our old favorite Caiman, IMHO). :)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With this morning's delivery from Newbury Comics and an overlooked CD added I'm at 120 plus boxes.

Seems I lost oversight - bought the Vlifford Jordan from Newbury and found I already had it from the Zweitausendeins bins ...

"Spellbound" I assume? If it's his other OJC I'd gladly take it off your hands!

Seeing this thread pop up again made me realize that I haven't bought any of these in weeks. WEEKS, I tell you.

This Wednesday, I have to visit Harvard Square, home of a brick and mortar Newbury Comics. I hope I can resist taking a peek at what's left of their OJCS, some still going for $3.99 last time I took a gander, not to mention a plunge...

Just wondering, how many "Newburys" are there? I'm just curious, are the folks at Newbury appreciative (or even cognizent) of the business generated by the Organissimo board? I guess they wouldn't have any way of knowing this, but they should. If you do happen to visit them, please thank them (on behalf, I would expect, of many on this board) for their prompt service and excellent selection. I, for one, have been very satisfied with their service (better than our old favorite Caiman, IMHO). :)

Contrary to Caiman, Newbury only lists stuff they actually have in stock - they delivered all of the 15 or 20 discs I ordered from them, while Caiman delivered none, zero! (I was much more cautious since I didn't think they'd deliver anyhting, so I ordered only 6 or 7 with them.)

Newbury is as good as it gets!

Too complex to answer the question overall, since I made two buys in last Summer's Concord blow-out, and have steadily been adding titles since then.

One noteworthy recent addition: thanks to an excellent seller on this BBS, I just picked up Eric Dolphy At the Five Spot, Volume 1 K2, which I had tried in vain to buy in last year's blowout.

With this morning's delivery from Newbury Comics and an overlooked CD added I'm at 120 plus boxes.

Seems I lost oversight - bought the Vlifford Jordan from Newbury and found I already had it from the Zweitausendeins bins ...

It's Mosaic I have a surplus copy of - two sessions, one with Kenny Dorham and Cedar Walton, The other with Sonny Red. Both are excellent. Reserved if you wish!

A gal I work with also works in the Newbury Comics warehouse. The other day she told me that all of the Concord blowout stuff they acquired is stored near her desk. I'll pass on to her the approbation of us Organissimites.

It's Mosaic I have a surplus copy of - two sessions, one with Kenny Dorham and Cedar Walton, The other with Sonny Red. Both are excellent. Reserved if you wish!

Sorry, I didn't see that post earlier - I have "Mosaic", it's the other one I still miss, "Bearcat". (And the Milestone big band album, but that one's not so high on my wantlist.)

BTW, vinyl fans should get the OJC LPs (only the US pressings) while they are still available.

I managed to get a dozen from a german store for 12€ each, all of them sound very good, better than the OJC CDs. Apparently they are all from the analog master tapes and were mastered in the early 80's, despite the remastering info on the back, which has been copied from the CD reissues.

I only have one, the Red Rodney "Modern Music from Chicago" - have recently managed to get a decently prized CD (it's called "Quintets" and has another, slightly less interesting date on it), too.

Edit: truebluemusic.com has some of the LPs on their running low list (at least there were some when I last took a look, a couple of weeks ago)

Edited by king ubu

BTW, vinyl fans should get the OJC LPs (only the US pressings) while they are still available.

I managed to get a dozen from a german store for 12€ each, all of them sound very good, better than the OJC CDs. Apparently they are all from the analog master tapes and were mastered in the early 80's, despite the remastering info on the back, which has been copied from the CD reissues.

All of the OJC LPs I've heard sound fine, including US pressings, French (Carrere) and UK (ACE), some state remastering from digital sources but even these sound excellent

All of the OJC LPs I've heard sound fine, including US pressings, French (Carrere) and UK (ACE), some state remastering from digital sources but even these sound excellent

The U.S. OJC LPs that came from analog masters - 001 to about 270 or so - sound better than the corresponding CDs. The later LPs that were done from digital remasters (the ones I've heard) sound about the same as the CDs - at least to my ears.

Edited by paul secor

OK. I was in Harvard Square this evening and couldn't resist glomming another armful of fire sale priced OJCs, including some produced by our own Chris Albertson:

Joe Albany with Warne Marsh - The Right Combination

The Gene Ammons Story - Organ Combos

Junie C. Cobb and His New Hometown Band

Sonny Criss - Up, Up and Away

Earl "Fatha" Hines and His Band - A Monday Date

Bennie Green Blows His Horn

Johnny Griffin with Strings and Brass - White Gardenia

Coleman Hawkins All Stars Featuring Joe Thomas and Vic Dickenson

Lonnie Johnson with Victoria Spivey - Idle Hands

Clifford Jordan Quartet - Bearcat

Elliot Lawrence Band Plays Gerry Mulligan Arrangements

Blue Mitchell - A Sure Thing

Blue Mitchell - Smooth as the Wind

Ada Moore with Tal Farlow, John La Porta, Oscar Pettiford

Doug Watkins Quartet - Soulnik

In my defence (or deep in my rationalization), I haven't bought any of these for weeks! (As Free for All put it in a post above.)

For anyone looking for these, check out Newbury in person, or online (either through Amazon or their own site). Great prices and excellent service. 90% of the records listed above cost me $3.99, and none were over $7.99!

Finally ordered on amazon (through newbury comics) an OJC i've been wanting for a long time.

41ZHS87BGHL._AA240_.jpg

arguably the ojc i have enjoyed the most so far!

:tup:tup:tup

waiting for Sonny Stitt - Soul People and Jimmy Forrest - Forrest - Forrest Fire, hope at least one of them shows up today...

Finally ordered on amazon (through newbury comics) an OJC i've been wanting for a long time.

41ZHS87BGHL._AA240_.jpg

waiting for Sonny Stitt - Soul People and Jimmy Forrest - Forrest - Forrest Fire, hope at least one of them shows up today...

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get Forrest Fire? Through the concord site?

Edited by NaturalSoul

41ZHS87BGHL._AA240_.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get Forrest Fire? Through the concord site?

i got it used from an amazon.de seller who just had one copy (for 6.50 Euro + 3 for shipping...) right now there is still another amazon.de seller that looks reasonably trustworthy which has it at 10 Euro (international shipping is 6 Euro iirc?)