Coffee Makers - Recommendations?

Guest Chaney

I own two Melitta coffee makers, one used at home and one in my office - both now no longer produced I.B.S. 5S. I.B.S. was their interval brewing system which, rather than dropping the hot water straight down onto the coffee grounds, would spray the water over the grounds, thus insuring (?) better saturation. This seemed to work especially well with this five cup drip coffee maker.

Problem is, the on/off switch on one of the machines broke and Melitta no longer repairs its coffee makers. (This happened once before and I was able to send the unit in for repair.) As the switch was stuck ON, I thought I'd just plug it in when in use but that now no longers works.

I love this coffee maker.

Question is, can anyone recommend a five cup coffee maker that makes a very good cup of coffee? Or a ten or twelve cupper that can make less than a full pot? (I don't drink cup after cup - generally one or two cups a day.)

Thanks!

Edited by Chaney

Question is, can anyone recommend a five cup coffee maker that makes a very good cup of coffee?  Or a ten or twelve cupper that can make less than a full pot?

I can't really recommend my coffeemaker (an old Braun model) because it makes lukewarm coffee. But don't get too hung up on searching for a five-cupper. AFAIK, any ten- or twelve-cupper can make less than a full pot--ya put in less water, ya get less coffee. (My coffeemaker is a ten-cupper, and every day I fill it with water to the four-cup line and make what Braun considers to be four cups.)

Edited by bluenoter

If you are after just one or two cups of high quality coffee made easy, go with a Gaggia. The model range is quite large and they are very reliable.

I use mine 3 or 4 times a day, every day (i drink 2 or 3 espressos per day and my wife may have 1 with steamed milk or cream) and it has served me well for 3 years now. I'm expecting this to continue. No loss of pressure, easy to clean and simple, no gimmicks, construction.

For coffee, i buy either Lavazza beans, ready ground or Illy beans.

I know someone who owns the Nespresso maker (where you insert coffee 'cartridges' into the casket) but the cost per cup is quite huge.

Hope you find what you're after.

Tony.

I have gone through several Mr. Coffees and a couple of Krupps and a Braun or two, and I wouldn't recommend any of them. Main complaint: why do they make the darn thing so that you can't pull the carafe out with just one hand and not bang the basket around? I think I'll break down and try a Bunn next...

We have a Kitchenaid Ultra 12-cup coffee maker for drip coffee. It has a button that you push if you're having 1-3 cups of coffee. After dealing for decades with the shortcomings of various Krups, Braun, Melitta, and a few miscellaneous others, we've found a drip coffee maker that is the most satisfactory. The coffee it makes is quite rich and nicely hot for drip, and the machine itself has been quite durable and easy to clean for almost two years now. My wife uses it every day, while I'll drink an occasional cup.

We use Lavazza Bar Gran Filtro beans, regular and decaf, which I also recommend.

By the way, my main caffeine source for the last decade has been Lavazza espresso from a Saeco pump machine. Lavazza Il Perfetto (the pre-ground version of Lavazza Club) has been my favorite espresso blend since it became available last year. I like it better than Illy, and it's much less expensive.

We purchase all of our coffee from Sovrana Store, a fine internet source for Lavazza products.

Bunn probably makes the best home coffee maker, but there's two things you need to know: they are about three times as expensive as a regular coffee maker, and they show up on your electric bill. The later drawback is a function of the fact that it keeps boiling water in reserve at all times (this is also why it makes such good coffee). The home unit generally produces better coffee than their commercial machines that you often see in restaurants. (Actually, I think this has more to do with the fact that many restaurants just don't know how to make a good cup of coffee than anything else. Perhaps restaurants just tend to assume that many people just don't like good coffee.)

Someone recommended a French press. If you go that route, do not buy a cheap one. The cheap ones are made of thin glass and do not insulate heat very well at all. Coffee always comes out best when the water is as hot as possible while the grounds are being soaked (this is exactly why the Bunn is such a good machine). However, heat dissipates very quickly through thin, transparent glass. Even if you get one with thick glass, the coffee will come out much better if you wrap a towel around it while the grounds are soaking. Also be sure to press the plunger down slowly and to a slight angle to avoid causing the carafe to explode. I've heard of this happening to other people.

Thanks for the terrific advice everyone. I'll be on the hunt this weekend and I'll keep your recommendations in mind.

bluenoter: I was a bit concerned that, if I were to try to make less than a full pot with a ten or twelve cup coffee maker, the hot water would not spend enough time getting to know the grounds - what with a large basket containing less coffee grounds and involving less water.

I found a feature on the (expensive!) Capresso Coffee Team Luxe:

A special 2-4 cup cycle slows down the brewing process to maintain flavor and aroma when brewing small batches.

Capresso Coffee Team Luxe

Anyone tried one of these Chemex caraffes?

I had one of those for a bit. I found that, to get the flavor I wanted, I had to use a lot more coffee than with a normal coffee maker.

Yeah, and I found the coffee was not as hot as I liked.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice suggestion on the Capresso; I have the Capresso MT500 and I couldn't be happier.  It uses a thermal carafe and makes outstanding coffee.  Definitely recommended (by a total coffee addict).

And the Capresso MT500 it is! Aint she a beaut! Makes splendid coffee. Thanks Tom and everyone for the input. You're all invited to my place for you-know-what.

:)

prod_large_mt500.jpg

Edited by Chaney

My latest automatic machine has a thermal carafe, too, which is a great idea that I had not seen before I got this one. The main problem with all electric makers is that limescale builds up on the heating elements, even if you clean them out with citric acid, and they burn out. I have replaced several heating elements myself, but the parts cost nearly as much as a new machine.

Most times these days, I just boil some water in a kettle and pour it through one of those conical Melitta filter paper holders directly into a cup. I have a single cup size, and also a large contrabass size in Eb (with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung). It gives more flavor if you pour just a little water through, then wait, and then pour the rest through. My current favorite coffee is Costco's "San Francisco Bay" beans.

I also have a Krups espresso chemistry set to intimidate vistors.

My latest automatic machine has a thermal carafe, too, which is a great idea that I had not seen before I got this one. The main problem with all electric makers is that limescale builds up on the heating elements, even if you clean them out with citric acid, and they burn out. I have replaced several heating elements myself, but the parts cost nearly as much as a new machine.

The Capresso MT500 features: "Unique stainless steel-lined heating system eliminates water contact with aluminum and reduces the need for decalcifying."

Most times these days, I just boil some water in a kettle and pour it through one of those conical Melitta filter paper holders directly into a cup. I have a single cup size, and also a large contrabass size in Eb (with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung). It gives more flavor if you pour just a little water through, then wait, and then pour the rest through. My current favorite coffee is Costco's "San Francisco Bay" beans.

That's my modus operandi when I visit me mum. What a pain in the butt THAT bit of coffee making non-fun is. I hope your results are better than mine as the resultant brew comes closer in taste to instant coffee than brewed coffee.

I'm using a Cuisinart machine with auto on and off, a 1-4 cup feature for "double heating" the water (I'm a chemist and I don't know what that means!), a gold cone filter, water filter and a beep that lets you know when it's ready to be poured. Usually I brew Starbucks, freshly ground, although due to budget constraints I've had to go with 8 o'clock Columbian coffee, which isn't that bad, for the price.

Edited by GregK

Where I live, one must use bottled water in order to have decent-tasting coffee and to greatly reduce the need for removing the crud.

Same here. The cats have one of those water dishes that looks like a fountain, if you know what I mean, so they get bottled water as well. Otherwise, the crud would build up in no time. Still, even in California I get strange looks if I mention that my cats get bottled water... :wacko:

Chaney, I get excellent coffee with the kettle and filter-holder method, and it doesn't suffer from standing on a hotplate that way.

That Capresso machine sounds good. I am tired of having to replace heating elements.

By the way, there is an excellent, affordable (ground) coffee called Hill and Brooks. I've only seen it in Dixie, especially Alabama. It's sad that it isn't more widely known. (Not to be confused with Hills Bros battery acid coffee!)

Up in le Canada, we always liked Nabob (ground) coffee.

When on the road, I always find the coffee good at the Waffle House.

• 2 years later...

Nice suggestion on the Capresso; I have the Capresso MT500 and I couldn't be happier.  It uses a thermal carafe and makes outstanding coffee.  Definitely recommended (by a total coffee addict).

And the Capresso MT500 it is! Aint she a beaut! Makes splendid coffee. Thanks Tom and everyone for the input. You're all invited to my place for you-know-what.

:)

prod_large_mt500.jpg

Soooooo, Mr. Chaney.........two years later, what's the report on this? Still humming along nicely? :w Mine bit the dust this a.m.