Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel

7/4

I've watched it a few times. I'm not that open minded and dude gets on my nerves a little, but it's not a bad show.

I much prefer Anthony Bourdain's show "No Reservations". I like a guy that complains about his head hurting from lack of oxygen while at the top of a mountain in Shanghai and than proceeds to light a cigarette.

IMG_4893.JPG

I much prefer Anthony Bourdain's show "No Reservations". I like a guy that complains about his head hurting from lack of oxygen while at the top of a mountain in Shanghai and than proceeds to light a cigarette.

I'll check it out, I saw a commercial last night: Shark swims by. He makes some remark about the beauty of nature and says "is that a dolphin?"

Watched the Travel Channel for the first time last night. Didn't catch Zimmern, but caught two episodes of Anthony Bourdain - Peru and Brazil. My impression is that he's a wiseass - then again, if I lived in Manhattan or Brooklyn he'd probably seem like an ordinary guy - but entertaining. Some good segments with food on those also.

Bourdain is a wise ass with a hardcore edge and comes off much more genuine than most celebrity chefs. He often takes shots at people like Rachael Ray and Emeril which is humorous to say the least.

I watched his NYC episode yesterday which included a segment where he and the guy who hosts the show 7/4 is talking about went to Ali's Kebab Café in Astoria.

Edited by catesta

Bourdain is a wise ass with a hardcore edge and comes off much more genuine than most celebrity chefs. He often takes shots at people like Rachael Ray and Emeril which is humorous to say the least.

I watched his NYC episode yesterday which included a segment where he and the guy who hosts the show 7/4 is talking about went to Ali's Kebab Café in Astoria.

I've read bits of Bourdain's "Cook's Tour" and his fugu chapter is spot on. The guy is nuts! Read somewhere that described him as Hunter S. Thompson on paella.

My mother was telling me about the Ali's episode. She said he ate the kibbee cooked and not raw! WTF!

Caught one of the Zimmer guy's show where he actually can't eat some horrible smelling fruit. It about made him wretch.

yeah the andrew zimmer guy i saw him eat some philipino tree grubs and he almost barfed.

you would expect him to generally be pleasantly surprised a lot but instead he is often sickened.

Saw that episode. :bad: I'll just stick to burgers and fries. I usually just watch the World and Professional Poker tours on that channel.

Big fan of Bourdain here, and have low-keyly pimped his show here a few times. That's good tv right there.

Zimmer's good, too, but will be better, I think, when he loses just a little bit of that...zest. If you know what I mean. Biven the nature of his show, it seems inevitable, and good for that!

The Bourdain show where he goes to Korea with producer Nari Kye is priceless. Nari Kye is...a rare quantity.

I caught two episodes of this list night on the Travel Channel. I thought it was pretty cool, my parents raised me to be pretty open about food. Has anybody else seen it?

http://travel.discovery.com/tv/bizarre-foo...arre-foods.html

Haven't seen the bizarre foods show yet, but I did see a few episodes of Jourdain. I like Travel Channel. Got some good stuff on it.

While watching poker, there was a commercial for No Reservations where the show's going to take place in Cleveland-have to check that out, since he's hanging with Harvey Picar.

Yeah, that Cleveland episode looks like a good one.

I caught the episode when he was stuck in Beirut. That was pretty crazy.

While watching poker, there was a commercial for No Reservations where the show's going to take place in Cleveland-have to check that out, since he's hanging with Harvey Picar.

Yeah, that Cleveland episode looks like a good one.

Yeah, I heard the Beirut one is really, really good...well, that's what the commercial said :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched it a few times. I'm not that open minded and dude gets on my nerves a little, but it's not a bad show.

IMG_4893.JPG

So in between tennis, I was flipping around and No Reservations is on and Bourdain is covering Ireland. This show is cool as shit! Nothing like watching him on a train in the morning on his way to Dublin, and the man cracks open a can of Guinness to wash down his breakfast!

Sure wish I would've caught the Cleveland episode.

Edited by Holy Ghost

IMG_4893.JPG

So in between tennis, I was flipping around and No Reservations is on and Bourdain is covering Ireland. This show is cool as shit! Nothing like watching him on a train in the morning on his way to Dublin, and the man cracks open a can of Guinness to wash down his breakfast!

Cleveland was a great episode.

Bourdain hung out with Michael Ruhlman, Marky Ramone and Harvey Pekar.

You can see the episode comic book by clicking here.

IMG_4893.JPG

Cleveland was a great episode.

Bourdain hung out with Michael Ruhlman, Marky Ramone and Harvey Pekar.

You can see the episode comic book by clicking here.

Thanks for posting that. I missed the Cleveland episode, but I've been watching reruns of previous No Reservations. The thing I like about the show is that he comes across as a real person and there's a lot of true humanity on the episodes I've seen.

I wonder what Bourdain's secret is? He sure doesn't put on any weight, considering the amounts of food and alchohol he appears to consume on camera. I don't want to assume that he does a lot of illegal substances, but ....

Thanks for the tip, Chris. Never knew of this one.

YouTubed my way thru some of that and will try to watch the whole deal. Wow!

Since he only "eats" once in the episode I wonder if it will ever see the rerun light of day? More Frontline than foodie.

• 1 month later...

The thing about Bourdain is he seeks out what the "locals" eat. Whatever that is, he eats it. There was an episode where he went to eat with some African bushmen. ... (This was bound to turn out badly) ... and off he went with the bushmen to catch a wild hog for dinner.

They got their hog and I believe as the honorary guest, Bourdain was given the honor of slitting it's throat, something that disturbed him a little, but it gets better (or worse). To cook the hog the bushmen get a fire going in a pit, throw the hog into the pit and cover it with sand. They let is smolder away for awhile, then dig it up and dig in.

Well, needless to say, the cooking is a little "uneven." Some parts burnt, some raw. And again, as the honored guest, Bourdain is offered the most desirable part of the hog. .... (wait for it) ........... the anus!!!!! And it's not fully cooked!!!!!!!!

He always, always plays the good guest and eats what he is offered, and so he did.

Peering into the camera after eating, he says, "I can say without any doubt, that is the worst meal I've ever had in my life."

No shit.

Love the show.

The Iceland episode was classic too. Apparently, rotten shark meat is a delicacy there. And ... there's nothing really for the locals to do but get stinking drunk in public.

For extreme behavior, see the episode where he hangs with the indigenous peoples of far Northern Quebec. They eat a seal or sea lion raw -- the whole thing. They put some plastic down and butcher the thing right in the middle of the kitchen. Blood everywhere. Wow.

Goodness...at least place slices on lumps of rice! :blink: