Art Blakey Honored With Historical Marker

August 27, 2007

Blakey Honored With Historical Marker

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 10:28 a.m. ET

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Art Blakey has been honored with a historical marker that will be placed at his boyhood home in the city's Hill District.

Musicians followed Sunday's unveiling ceremony with nearly two hours of music, including some of the jazz drummer's work.

''Pittsburgh played a part in that legendary history of jazz culture, (and) placement of this historical marker ... will build on a rich tradition,'' said state Sen. Jim Ferlo.

Blakey, a one-man ''musical university'' who nurtured stars such as Wynton Marsalis and Chuck Mangione, died of lung cancer in 1990 at age 71.

He played most of his career with The Jazz Messengers, the band that came together under his leadership in 1954.

The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission marker will be installed in front of the Blakey home next week.

------

Sad but true that the names fit to mention in a general circulation article are Chuck Mangione and Wynton.

Mangione actually did some of his best work with Blakey.. Ever listen to "Buttercorn Lady"?

Yes,, and that's not my point. Put another way, how many of us would list Chuck Mangione and Wynton Marsalis in the top ten of Art Blakey sidemen?

Sad but true that the names fit to mention in a general circulation article are Chuck Mangione and Wynton.

Mangione actually did some of his best work with Blakey.. Ever listen to "Buttercorn Lady"?

Yes,, and that's not my point. Put another way, how many of us would list Chuck Mangione and Wynton Marsalis in the top ten of Art Blakey sidemen?

I think the first ones to spring to my mind would be Benny Golson, Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Hank Mobley and Curtis Fuller. But so many played with the Jazz Messengers...even Jackie McLean was with Blakey for a little while.

Have to admit, though, that Mangione and Marsalis are probably the names most well known by the general public.

I think the first ones to spring to my mind would be Benny Golson, Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Hank Mobley and Curtis Fuller. But so many played with the Jazz Messengers...even Jackie McLean was with Blakey for a little while.

Have to admit, though, that Mangione and Marsalis are probably the names most well known by the general public.

Agreed. 90% of the general public have never heard the names of Golson, Shorter, Morgan, Mobley, etc. Hell, maybe 95% or better...

Agreed. 90% of the general public have never heard the names of Golson, Shorter, Morgan, Mobley, etc. Hell, maybe 95% or better...

In the U.S., try 99.9 %.

• 2 weeks later...

In the U.S., try 99.9 %.

99.9 % of people (including Pittsburgh folks) couldn't tell you who Art Blakey is. I grew up in the Pitt area in the 70s--the only jazzer I ever heard of was Joe Negri. Many years later, and far from PA, I began discovering the astonishing number of jazz greats who grew up in Pittsburgh. Prophets are rarely recognized in their home town, as the saying goes.