Waldron at the VV: 9/86

John L

I really enjoy Mal Waldron's "the Git Go" and "The Seagulls of Kristiansund," which were recording at the Village Vanguard in September, 1986 with Woody Shaw, Charlie Rouse, Reggie Workman, and Ed Blackwell. Waldron and Blackwell burn together like extra virgin olive oil and fresh garlic. There is nothing else like it!

In the liner notes to "Seagulls," Waldron comments "we did three sets a night and three tunes per set throughout the week - I guess we recorded enough music for six albums.

Does anybody know anything about the status of those tapes? :blink:

All I could find were these two albums released on Soul Note from these sessions:

d25590mi5o8.jpg

d640741cc0c.jpg

After your description, I'll check them out. I saw Mal perform quite often while he resided in Germany, and it was as if I was right inside the music. I miss him.

Edited by mikeweil

There was definitely a video in the "Vanguard" series (4 videos in all, including one of Freddie Hubbard' group) - now OOP, alas.

I think the personnel was the same, so I always assumed it was from the same session. What does the Woody Shaw discography say? I could be wrong.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Seems it was deleted. Norbert Ruecker, who usually carries every jazz video available, doesn't list it any longer.

Here's what the Woody Shaw discography says:

Live at The Village Vanguard, NYC; September 16, 1986

WS - tp, flg; Charlie Rouse - ts, fl; Mal Waldron - p; Reggie Workman - b; Ed Blackwell - dr.

1. Status Seeking (Waldron) 20:19

2. The Git Go (Waldron) 25:31

3. Snake Out (Waldron) 17:19

4. Judy (Waldron) 12:42

5. The Seagulls of Kristiansund (Waldron) 26:02

Mal Waldron Quintet -- The Git Go: tracks 1-2

Mal Waldron Quintet -- The Seagulls of Kristiansund: tracks 3-5

Penguin heaps praise on Seagulls, but to these ears the performance "has its ups and downs". Some of the solos sound extended for a bit too long, repeating ideas several times; Woody is particularly guilty of this. Git Go is less remarkable.

Live at The Village Vanguard, NYC; September ~16, 1986?

WS - tp, flg; Charlie Rouse - ts, fl; Mal Waldron - p; Reggie Workman - b; Ed Blackwell - dr.

1. The Git Go (Waldron) 21:05

2. All Alone (Waldron) 17:35

3. Fire Waltz (Waldron) 19:18

Mal Waldron and Friends -- Live at the Village Vanguard vol. 4

Freddie Hubbard, Ron Carter, Cedar Walton, Lenny White -- Live at the Village Vanguard: unknown tracks

These would seem to be from the same series of dates as the Git-Go/Seagulls of Kristiansund albums, but the copyright date is 1984. The recording was part of the 50th anniversary celebration of the Village Vanguard.

He seems to miss on one track on the video and think the Hubbard performance is on the same tape. Judging from the timings we get different takes of "The Git Go" and two or three tracks not on the CDs. The hunt is on!

Edited by mikeweil