The sound of ECM vinyl

Big Al

I've bought more than 50 ECM LPs in the last two years, mainly made from analog recordings (up to 1985 or so). The LPs of these recordings sound better than the CD transfers, which are less dynamic and more distant, amplifying the "ECM sound".

Some people say the US pressings (black label) are not as good as the german pressings (green label), but I can't verify that as I only have german pressings, which can be found for 5-10€ in german second hand stores and on Ebay.de.

A limited number of titles (german pressings) is still available from the ECM webstore and other german shops, mainly top sellers from Jarrett or Metheny, many "Works" samplers and some newer titles. As far as digital recordings go, I would not recommend buying the LPs for reasons of sound quality, because they sound identical to the CDs.

http://www.ecmrecords.com/News/Special_Off...mp;lvredir=3094

Edited by Claude

I agree with Claude. A part the fact that "digitally recorded" used Lps are usually cheaper then a new cd, almost half the price, at least over there.

About the american vs german pressing, I have the Jarrett Japanese Concert Box and Carla Bley's Escalator Box set, both american pressings, and they sound ok for me, but I haven't heard the german pressings.

Yesterday at Half Price Books, I saw a couple of Carla Bley albums (Night-Glo, Sextet, and Musique Mechanique) and Pat Metheny's REJOICING on ECM LP. Any opinions on the sound quality of these?

I have the 'Rejoicing' in a US ECM pressing (I think) and the sound is pretty spectacular ! Particularly the version of Horace's 'Lonely Woman'. Recommended !

The 'Night Glo' I have in a German pressing. Very 'MOR' and FM-friendly but a real nice laid-back listen. Nothing profound but I quite like it. 'Sextet' I have somewhere too but can't find that one.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 years later...

ECM had recently released two new albums on double LP in addition to the CD release (Keith Jarrett "Yesterdays", Enrico Rava "New York Days")

Now they are going to reissue some classic titles on 180g vinyl:

- Chick Corea "Return To Forever"

- Pat Metheny Group "Pat Metheny Group"

- Pat Metheny Group "Offramp"

- Jimmy Giuffre "1961"

- Keith Jarrett "The Köln Concert"

- Keith Jarrett "Tribute"

- Keith Jarrett "Still Live"

and later:

- Arvo Pärt "Tabula Rasa"

- Keith Jarrett/Jan Garbarek "Belonging"

- Keith Jarrett "My Song"

- Pat Metheny "80/81"

- Pat Metheny Group "Travels")

- Arve Henriksen - "Cartography"

- Jon Hassell "Power Spot"

News on the german Universal Jazz site: http://www.jazzecho.de/aktuell/rezensionen/detail/article/87454/0/back-on-the-block--klassische-ecm-alben-als-originalausgaben-auf-180g-vinyl/

The selection of titles is kind of lame, since many of these have still been officially available on regular vinyl (old stock) until very recently. But it's a good start.

The price is also quite reasonable, at least in Euro: 18€ (27€ for a 2LP set)

Edited by Claude

Claude;

The 180 gram remastered version of "1961" by Jimmy Giuffre has already been released in Germany as I purchased a copy when in Freiburg last November. The sound quality is fantastic, much warmer on vinyl than analogue CD, and is not typical of later day ECM production.

Regards,

LWayne

Yes, the Giuffre has been released on LP many years ago. I bought it in 2005, so even then, it wasn't sold out although ECM had long stopped pressing LPs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jimmy-Giuffre-3-1961-VINYL/dp/B000E1Z1LI

That's my main complaint about the selection of titles. They reissue LPs (now on 180g vinly) which were still easily available until recently.

Edited by Claude

I've bought more than 50 ECM LPs in the last two years, mainly made from analog recordings (up to 1985 or so). The LPs of these recordings sound better than the CD transfers, which are less dynamic and more distant, amplifying the "ECM sound".

Some people say the US pressings (black label) are not as good as the german pressings (green label), but I can't verify that as I only have german pressings, which can be found for 5-10€ in german second hand stores and on Ebay.de.

A limited number of titles (german pressings) is still available from the ECM webstore and other german shops, mainly top sellers from Jarrett or Metheny, many "Works" samplers and some newer titles. As far as digital recordings go, I would not recommend buying the LPs for reasons of sound quality, because they sound identical to the CDs.

http://www.ecmrecords.com/News/Special_Off...mp;lvredir=3094

I don't think the us pressings had black labels, they had green just as the german ones, just a bit darker hue. The black labels are more recent issues, from the late 80's to 90's.

just found/bought this (richie beirach's Hubris) today for $5:

g87024ig97o.jpg

it's the german (green, right?) pressing and doesn't have that japanese thingie on the side. have no idea if this vinyl is out of print or not so if anyone here knows that i'd be interested. i'm a huge beirach fan and have two of his other solo piano recordings, his duo record w/ conrad herwig, and the quintet recording he made w/ herwig's group. excited to spin this when my turntable arrives (tomorrow :excited: ).

Anyone buy the recent issues (I am thinking Jarrett in particular)?

Thought about it till I saw the 60 dollar price tag.

Recent ECM's on CD sound fantastic and I can still hunt down early 70's german vinyl pressings (which I prefer the to the american pressings) and 80's american pressings for 4-8 bucks.