A Modest Proposal

Alexander

The tom Paine I was thinking of is from a collection of essays known as The Crisis, how I confused that with Swift's A Modest Proposal I have no idea. Comparing either Alexander's selfinvolved whining or clem's selfimportant hyperbole to Swift's masterpiece of black humor or the grim realities of Irish history which provoked it is, of course, rediculous. The're both so much more like the delusional romanticism of psuedo-Jacobites after the fact...or not, this tempest in a pis pot isn't really worth thinking about too hard.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tom Paine I was thinking of is from a collection of essays known as The Crisis, how I confused that with Swift's A Modest Proposal I have no idea. Comparing either Alexander's selfinvolved whining or clem's selfimportant hyperbole to Swift's masterpiece of black humor or the grim realities of Irish history which provoked it is, of course, rediculous. The're both so much more like the delusional romanticism of psuedo-Jacobites after the fact...or not, this tempest in a pis pot isn't really worth thinking about too hard.

Well, it was meant to be ironic.

they are also full of a good deal of preening self-promotion as well as a general smack-down of anything he dislikes or disagrees with, which is my problem with him. He's entitled to his own opinions. He just won't acknowledge that I am equally entitled to mine.

Oh, I think he'll acknowledge that you're entitled to your opinions--he'll just also insist that he is entitled to sneer at them. And he is, actually. You can't legislate tone of voice on the Internet. Just ignore him. It's the only way you'll avoid ulcers. The worst thing would be to stalk him from thread to thread trying to get his goat. That would make you at fault.

i still dont understand most of what he posts, but i abhor censorship.

That's because he doesn't write in English.

I call it faux literature.

Anyway, I've had my run-ins as well. I guess we've made our truce too, but there's a basic dishonesty in much of what he posts. I am willing to eat my words here if I am proven or persuaded to admit wrong on that point. For example, if memory serves, I believe he is in his late 30s to early 40s, but he likes to come across as someone older. He likes to conflate name dropping with erudition.

No, I do not support banning him at all. We've got to have the resident know-it-all asshole, I guess.

Anyway, I've had my run-ins as well. I guess we've made our truce too, but there's a basic dishonesty in much of what he posts. I am willing to eat my words here if I am proven or persuaded to admit wrong on that point. For example, if memory serves, I believe he is in his late 30s to early 40s, but he likes to come across as someone older. He likes to conflate name dropping with erudition.

No, I do not support banning him at all. We've got to have the resident know-it-all asshole, I guess.

I think he's OK. I don't care about his real age. I think he's the same age as all of us - he's learning stuff here (really), which makes us all pupils, so to speak.

MG

..... He likes to conflate name dropping with erudition.

Conflate with wtf? :)

I'm sorta new, but I haven't read or seen anything that warranted censoring nor banning either. I mean, it's kinda a pain in the ass when folks don't see things my way, but... :)

..... He likes to conflate name dropping with erudition.

Conflate with wtf? :)

You'd get it if you've seen enough of his posts.

For ex. He might call you uninformed on a particular topic then proceed to name off a list of writers and artists whom he likely never read nor heard.

I think he's OK. I don't care about his real age. I think he's the same age as all of us - he's learning stuff here (really), which makes us all pupils, so to speak.

MG

Well, it's part of the dishonesty. Now again, I'll eat my words if proven wrong, but he'll often write things such as:

has been on this trip since the 8-26-71 Gaelic Park gig in the Bronx (i was little too young to hit the Fillmore shows before then) which suggests that he was already old enough (say 16 or so) to appreciate such a concert. Yet he was likely 4 or 5 years old in 1971. Now again: I'll be the first to apologize to Clem if I am proven wrong on this hypothesis, but if I am correct then this serves as a typical of example of his dishonesty while posting (he might be an honest guy in real life--who knows.)

I hate to go into such detail about someone, but you guys are forcing my hand. :P Anyway, I can coexist with Clem on the board. I hope I'm wrong about the guy--really.

Edited by connoisseur series500

Should be a link there to an old post?

No, in the link you posted, there's a thing that says

[ right ][ snapback ] 372298 [ /snapback ][ /right ]

And I keep seeing it and don't know what it is. And when I quoted it in my earlier post, nothing showed. So I've stuck spaces in there, this time.

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

MG

Well, it's part of the dishonesty. Now again, I'll eat my words if proven wrong, but he'll often write things such as:

has been on this trip since the 8-26-71 Gaelic Park gig in the Bronx (i was little too young to hit the Fillmore shows before then) which suggests that he was already old enough (say 16 or so) to appreciate such a concert. Yet he was likely 4 or 5 years old in 1971. Now again: I'll be the first to apologize to Clem if I am proven wrong on this hypothesis, but if I am correct then this serves as a typical of example of his dishonesty while posting (he might be an honest guy in real life--who knows.)

I hate to go into such detail about someone, but you guys are forcing my hand. :P Anyway, I can coexist with Clem on the board. I hope I'm wrong about the guy--really.

"clem" is not a "real person". He's a persona created especially for this forum by a real person, and as such there is much "creative license" taken with much of what he says. You may or may not dig that kind of "creativity" in a forum such as this (I do, but hey, different strokes, ok?), but there's no true dishonesty at play. Again, that type of "layering" may or may not be to yours or anybody's liking, but it is what it is.

Alexander, otoh, is somebody - a real person - who has shown little compunction (and at times even less remorse) about saying some truly blunt, crude, and offensive-in-the-eye-of-the-recipient things about people's religious & political beliefs & then offering facile apologies. I've defended him on occasion, feeling that he's just one of those guys who just doesn't always think before speaking, but seeing how spastic he's getting about clem's highly calculated shootdowns, I now think that he's a mentally deficient semi-human who's a threat to all with whom he comes into contact, and that he should be publically eviscerated in front of his family, who should then be forced to wash their faces in his blood and then consume his raw flesh while being sodomized by a team of Clydesdales.

Messrs Swift, Berger, & Stern would all appreciate the suggestion, no doubt.

Edited by JSngry

"clem" is not a "real person". He's a persona created especially for this forum by a real person, and as such there is much "creative license" taken with much of what he says. You may or may not dig that kind of "creativity" in a forum such as this (I do, but hey, different strokes, ok?), but there's no true dishonesty at play. Again, that type of "layering" may or may not be to yours or anybody's liking, but it is what it is.

Yeah, I basically buy this. You are right as always.

Clem still =dick though. ;):lol:

MG

Alexander, otoh, is somebody - a real person - who has shown little compunction (and at times even less remorse) about saying some truly blunt, crude, and offensive-in-the-eye-of-the-recipient things about people's religious & political beliefs & then offering facile apologies. I've defended him on occasion, feeling that he's just one of those guys who just doesn't always think before speaking, but seeing how spastic he's getting about clem's highly calculated shootdowns, I now think that he's a mentally deficient semi-human who's a threat to all with whom he comes into contact, and that he should be publically eviscerated in front of his family, who should then be forced to wash their faces in his blood and then consume his raw flesh while being sodomized by a team of Clydesdales.

Messrs Swift, Berger, & Stern would all appreciate the suggestion, no doubt.

On the other hand, Jim, I don't say "truly blunt, crude, and offensive-in-the-eye-of-the-recipient" in every single post, do I? Whereas Clem can't seem to go two posts without insulting SOMEONE (not always me). And if his shootdowns are really as calculated as all that, well it just makes it that much worse, doesn't it? I mean, my opinions and sense of humor may be offensive to some, but at least its honest.

As to your own "modest proposal," what can I say? I can't argue that point, being a mentally deficient semi-human and all... :rofl:

war cash, blood soup and clemdestine underground wars including sodomy..... hell, after all a real party going on here again, after these drab past months... let's ban the might together! :party: :party: :party:

Oh, and even straightforward real people use layered personas on sites such as this here... be it their intention or not... we all do, all of the time, all through our lives - if someone feels like arguing this statement, please let me know what reality is... and not just your own, but one that's good enough for everyone (or at least for me, too...) - and remember, I'm inclined to poo on you, too! :w

I dunno man, there's something pathetic about a proven "needler" resorting to whining about being needled. And no matter how you try to spin it, that's what this is coming across as. Kinda unbecoming and embarassing and all that, and definitely a violation of the Tuff Guy Code Of Honor.

Keep it in the ring or get out the frame, ya' know what I'm sayin'?