New Jazz non-OJC mono reissues

Claude

I just received a batch of US OJC LPs from the german store www.hhv.de. Two LPs are not OJCs:

- Yusef Lateef "Into something" (New Jazz NJLP 8272)

- Larry Young "Young blues" (New Jazz 8272)

These are 180g pressings in thick cardboard covers, with no info as to when and by whom they were reissued. The cover and label seem to be straight reproductions of the originals (bordeaux colour "New Jazz" label). They look brand new. The dead wax of the Larry Young has the info "3972 - NJ8264 - 1 (A) S-52777". Both are mono, although the recordings have been made in stereo.

Does anyone have any info on these pressings, as to when they were released?

Thanks

Claude,

Do they have really glossy covers, front and back?

I've got the Lateef "Into Something" and has this matrix info:

A= S 49162 3972 - NJ LP 8272 - 1 (A)

B= NJ LP 8272 - 1 (B) S 49163 RE-1 and then some writing that looks like DeBVS

These are Scorpio pressings from New York or New Jersey. I've got a few others and they're kinda hit or miss...mostly hit. They retail for $8.98-$11.98. They do Blue Notes too. Their pressing of Braith's "Two Souls in One" has all but the last song in mono.

I've gotten a few bad ones too...with weird noises and pops.

I'd say only buy them if your dealer allows returns.

Oh, and they're most certainly from digital sources. But if it sounds good...

The pressing and sound quality are good, but I see no reason to listen to these sessions in mono, so I'll probably return them.

I don't know about the recordings, but (all) New Jazz LP's were only released in mono.

AFIK you're right, all the NJ original pressing I have are monos, some of the later reissues on Prestige label are rechanneled, like "Dolphy In Europe".

Yep, but these are true stereo recordings, which have been released in stereo ever since the mono period was over.

The reason I buy LPs for is that many sound better than the CD versions. It's not that I'm particularly interested in the way the LPs sounded in the past.

Edited by Claude

Sure? Is anyone ever truly "sure" about anything?

I'll put it another way:

Do you really believe Blue Note, Prestige, whomever...really gave Scorpio the masters?

I don't...

So do you think they reissue either from CDs or from clean LPs? For example, I have several of their reissues of obscure Columbia material. This is stuff that has not been reissued on CD. I can *usually* tell if an LP was mastered from another LP. These sound like they're taken from a very clean source. If it's a digital source, it sounds like it's from the masters.

Sure? Is anyone ever truly "sure" about anything?

I'll put it another way:

Do you really believe Blue Note, Prestige, whomever...really gave Scorpio the masters?

I don't...

So do you think they reissue either from CDs or from clean LPs? For example, I have several of their reissues of obscure Columbia material. This is stuff that has not been reissued on CD. I can *usually* tell if an LP was mastered from another LP. These sound like they're taken from a very clean source. If it's a digital source, it sounds like it's from the masters.

This from someone at Scorpio:

Most of the reissues are from digital copies (DAT's) of the master tape, legitimately licensed by Scorpio. Columbia, Capitol, et al are not about to turn over their master tapes, so they offer DAT copies from which the LP's are mastered.

This from someone at Scorpio:

Most of the reissues are from digital copies (DAT's) of the master tape, legitimately licensed by Scorpio. Columbia, Capitol, et al are not about to turn over their master tapes, so they offer DAT copies from which the LP's are mastered.

That would make sense. Some of those Scorpio pressings sound good, despite the digital sources.