Zep reforming?

Aggie87

Led Zeppelin set to re-form for O2 gig

The legendary rock band Led Zeppelin are planning to play a huge comeback concert at the O2 arena, the concert hall housed in the former Millennium Dome.

According to reports the supergroup, who disbanded 27 years ago, are in talks with the owners of the 20,000 capacity venue to stage a spectacular one off show at the end of the year.

Speculation has been rife that the three surviving band members, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones had been planning to perform their greatest hits at a memorial concert for the late Island Record boss Ahmet Ertegun.

Now it looks like they have chosen the venue.

No official confirmation has been given but sources have confirmed they are in talks with the owners of the venue in Greenwich, south east London.

A source said: "The talks are ongoing but it looks like a definite possibility. Nothing has been finalised but fingers crossed the most anticipated comeback concerts ever could become a reality."

When drummer John Bonham died in 1980, his bandmates declared that Led Zeppelin had died with him.

The trio's only other reunions were a disappointing performance at the 1985 Live Aid concert, with Genesis drummer Phil Collins, and their 1995 induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

The concert is likely to coincide with the release of a greatest hits collection for November. The late John Bonham is expected to be replaced on drums by his son Jason.

The benefit concert is expected to be in memory of Ertegun who first signed them, Ahmet. He died last October after falling at a Rolling Stones concert.

It is believed that fellow rock legends Cream are also reforming to play a concert for Ertegun.

Despite the strong speculation which was sparked by adverts appearing in a national newspaper, promoters warned fans not to buy tickets yet as nothing was confirmed.

Premier Entertainments company are offering hotel and ticket packages for £269 and insisted the official announcement was about to be made.

Neither the venue or the agents for the band were prepared to comment.

Led Zep's albums have continued to be huge sellers since the 1970s and Stairway to Heaven remains hugely popular on the radio and on karaokes.

The band, whose excesses were formidable, were the fathers of "hard rock" and were responsible for hundreds of long haired, spandex trousered imitators.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Led Zeppelin live when I was 13 or 14, between the albums II and III, they were so bad....

Well, they were a band so highly overdubbed on record, that they couldn't recreate their sound in concert.

I was very disappointed.

If I were a Clem's type, you'd be in the death row for this post, but since I am a true liberal, and considering your age at times, I'll only sentence to life. Zep rules. :g

Edited by porcy62

There has been a lot of discussion on a lot of message boards about this. I would tend to think that it's a "true" rumor.

I saw LZ on their first tour - Jethro Tull was the opening band. Never saw them again. I disliked them, for the most part, ever since, but just a few years ago I had a revelation and couldn't get enough. Picked up Zoso, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, How the West Was Won & BBC Sessions - albums I never had before. Great stuff!

I saw Led Zeppelin live when I was 13 or 14, between the albums II and III, they were so bad....

Well, they were a band so highly overdubbed on record, that they couldn't recreate their sound in concert.

I was very disappointed.

I pretty much can't STAND Zeppelin.

That said, I've heard wasted/stoned live boots that are excellent, with some pretty bizarre sonic juxtapositions.

Led Zeppelin are definitely reforming says Robert Plant

Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant has confirmed that the legendary rock band will be reuniting later this year.

A reunion has been strongly rumored for the last week or so and today (September 5) the singer confirmed it's definitely on.

A fan who met Plant in London today contacted NME.com explaining that the singer said he was on his way to meet bandmates Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones.

"How did you find out about this?" asked Plant when asked about the prospects of a reunion show by the autograph hunter. "Well, we've got a band meeting about it this afternoon about it. There's not a lot to work out as it's only going to be one-off gig."

NME.com has also learned from a music industry source that the show, possibly to take place in November at the 02 in London, will be a charity gig organized by promoter Harvey Goldsmith.

A friend had an extra ticket to see LZ in Frankfurt on their 1980 tour and offered it to me, but I ended up not going due to some other family commitments. Figured I'd catch them next time around....little did I realize.

I don't listen to LZ very often, but when I do I really get into them.

Led Zeppelin was huge when I was in high school, the most popular rock band. However, I think that even people who liked them in their heyday didn't take them entirely seriously. They certainly had their many moments of excruciating excess and outright duds in their albums and live shows, and their blues ripoffs were fairly well known even then.

Whenever I have heard Page or Plant on recordings or broadcasts of live performances in the past ten years, their performances have ranged from underwhelming to pathetic.

Why is this any more exciting than the recent live reunion of Moby Grape? I see any Led Zeppelin reunion at this point as merely another group of worn out, irrelevant geezers climbing onto the stage to make money, and tarnish the memory of what they could once do.

I also think that if Led Zeppelin records again as a group, the sales will be disappointing. I find it interesting that the Cream reunion CDs came out last year to nearly no attention by today's music fans or the media. They actually sound pretty good, but the market for 1960s/1970s reunions is not that strong, it seems.

If Cream had reunited in 1974, it would have been immense, one of the music events of the year. But now it's too late. Same thing for Led Zeppelin, I think. If they had reunited in 1983, it would have been exciting to many people, but now, it's way too late.

I'd go see them if they came reasonably close (unless tickets are through the roof). I wouldn't expect them to sound anything like they did in their heyday, though. Would be nice from a nostalgia point of view. And if they happen to put on a great show, all the merrier.

I've enjoyed seeing Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, and other groups that were big in the 70's, though granted all of those groups continued through the 80's and beyond.

This is bigger news than Moby Grape because they were a bigger band back then, and their career was cut short by a tragic death. I agree with you about their excess, duds, and ripoffs, too. They were still fun to listen to for me. I think the music of your youth stays with you regardless what it was.

I'd go see them if they came reasonably close (unless tickets are through the roof). I wouldn't expect them to sound anything like they did in their heyday, though. Would be nice from a nostalgia point of view. And if they happen to put on a great show, all the merrier.

I've enjoyed seeing Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, and other groups that were big in the 70's, though granted all of those groups continued through the 80's and beyond.

This is bigger news than Moby Grape because they were a bigger band back then, and their career was cut short by a tragic death. I agree with you about their excess, duds, and ripoffs, too. They were still fun to listen to for me. I think the music of your youth stays with you regardless what it was.

Even without the death of The Mighty John Bonham, they were played out. In Through The Out Door had its moments, but overall, it wasn't much. I'd agree with Hot Stuff that anything by Page or Plant has been pretty damn weak since then. Though I keep hearing that Page has seem to have gotten his act together recently, but call skeptical on that score.... <_<

Even without the death of The Mighty John Bonham, they were played out. In Through The Out Door had its moments, but overall, it wasn't much. I'd agree with Hot Stuff that anything by Page or Plant has been pretty damn weak since then. Though I keep hearing that Page has seem to have gotten his act together recently, but call skeptical on that score.... <_<

I generally agree with the ITTOD assessment, Matthew. It had moments, but I think due to Page's heavy drug use during that time, it was dominated by John Paul Jones moreso than previous albums. The only Page solo work I ever picked up after that was his Death Wish II soundtrack, which was ok, but not great. Plant's had some moments on most of his solo albums, but only one or two were consistently good, IMO (Principle of Moments and Fate of Nations, for me).

Again, I don't think they'll be anything like they were at their peak, but I think it would be great to see them back together, just like it was great for many folks to see Pink Floyd get together last year for that one-off.

7/4: tell us about the firm concert! what other material did they play besides the FIRM lp? did they do led zep/bad co/free stuff at all?

I've yet to get my hands on any firm bootlegs and theres even a video (not the music video vhs, but theres also a concert one)

That wa a long time ago. It's was a big deal when they actually played Whole Lotta Love (I think).

WTF do you know, they really are getting together for a single show.

from the NME:

Led Zeppelin reunion

Led Zeppelin will reform for a one of show at the O2 arena in London it was confirmed today (September 12).

The band will reunite for the show in November 26, topping a bill that also includes Pete Townshend, Foreigner and Paolo Nutini with Bill Wyman And The Rhythm Kings backing those three acts as well as playing themselves.

The show is being held to raise money for the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund, which pays for university scholarships in the UK, US and Turkey.

The fund was created in honour of Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun who died last year. He worked helped further the career of a host of acts including Led Zeppelin.

"During the Zeppelin years, Ahmet Ertegun was a major foundation of solidarity and accord. For us he was Atlantic Records and remained a close friend and conspirator," explained Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant of the band's decision to reform. "£his performance stands alone as our tribute to the work and the life of our long standing friend."

Tickets for the show cost £125 each and they are limited to two per person and will be distributed by ballot only.

Those wishing to go must register on Ahmettribute.com to be in the ballot. Registration closes on Monday (September 17), while any tickets that appear on online auction sites afterwards will be immediately cancelled.

A big after show for the gig is set to take place on the night at the O2's Indigo venue.

Led Zeppelin will feature original members Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, while Jason Bonham, the son of their late drummer John Bonham, will play with the band.

The band will also release a new best of compilation 'Mothership' on November 13.

Promoter Harvey Goldsmith said at the moment the band "have no plans to tour but hopes they will". He added they were enjoying working together again and were currently planning a two hour for the gig.

I don't think you can compare the release of Cream reunion material to Led Zeppelin. I think if Zep got back together for an album it would sell like MAD. (whether it would be any good or not is anybody's guess). You still can pretty much guarantee that you'll hear a Zeppelin song at least once every 2 hours on classic rock radio...and their catalog sales are better than many bands new release sales. Cream was a great band, but they didn't come anywhere near the global success that Zeppelin had.