Should there be a vinyl discussion thread?

DrJ

Hey, I'm into ALL music formats, so it's not a "vinyl is best" kind of thing, audiophile focus I'm suggesting. Rather, there's a lot of good stuff that's ONLY available on vinyl, and rather than mixing discussion about it with other threads (e.g. Recommendations), maybe there's enough interest to support a "Vinyl Corner" or "Vinyl Freak" (a la the DOWNBEAT column) or some such separate forum.

Has this been suggested already and I'm hopelessly out of date?

I'm afraid this will, just like the Vinyl Freak column in down beat, water my mouth for recordings I'll probably never see nor hear - or is it intended as a thread for offering/exchanging LPs turned CDRs as well? ;):w

p.s. I don't have a burner ..... -_-

Edited by mikeweil

I don't have a turntable even, but I wouldn't mind having a separate area for vinyl discussion, if that would be a logical thing to add to the list of forums.

That said, I don't think having 100 different forums is such a good idea, but I could see "vinyl" as being a legit topic for discussion, such that it could merit it's only corner of the world around these parts.

(In other words, if enough other people want it, then fine by me!! :g )

There's truth to this argument, but I think the counter argument is that sometimes it's really hard to keep track of all that's being posted in the larger forums, and I'd include recommendations as a larger one. I probably miss stuff all the time.

Anyway, not married to the idea, just a thought. I do understand totally that it's a fine line between too many and too few forums and I'm no web administrator myself.

I listen to only vinyl, except in the car, so I'd like to see an 'only vinyl' forum. I buy no digital...just burn cd's from my lp's.. Getting to be too many formats. Hey, who has a nice collection of BN 45's?? I've seen other BB's split between vinyl, cd and SACD/DAD-A.

I think it could be a really good forum. I see it discussing things like: turntables, cartridges, collectables, tt set-up, re-issues and good used vinyl, Mosaic vinyl and different labels(I need to know what steeplechase vinyl to get).

I think "Good Guys' just ordered a bunch of quality tt's to stock. Vinyl is not going away.

Linn LP12

Noj,

I guess to be more precise, I mean that CDs go in and out of print, and I sometimes find things on LP that either are not now available on Cd or may have never been (or at least I have never seen). For example, the other night i was listening to a 1952 Mary Lou Williams session on Jazztime that I don't think has ever made it to CD. The All About Jazz book I have said as much when I looked it up. Another example would be the early-60s J. J. Johnson albums he did for Columbia, which have been released as a CD set on Mosaic, but I don't think are available as single-issue cds from Columbia (Things like "J is for Jazz," "J.J. in Person", "Dial J.J. 5" etc). I could be wrong, but I could probably find a bunch of others.

Enough already!  List some great vinyl-exclusive albums, please. :D

Almost the whole Pacific Jazz label is lp only, and $20 a shot at that. The only exception to this rule is all those crappy Bud Shank foo-foo lps he did. You can't give those away!

Blue Note has released some Pacific stuff before. Do they have access to that material? If so, why the hold-out?