Should there be a vinyl discussion thread?

DrJ

Enough already!  List some great vinyl-exclusive albums, please. :D

Almost the whole Pacific Jazz label is lp only, and $20 a shot at that. The only exception to this rule is all those crappy Bud Shank foo-foo lps he did. You can't give those away!

Blue Note has released some Pacific stuff before. Do they have access to that material? If so, why the hold-out?

As far as Blue Note goes, their "West Coast Classics" series of PJ reissues didn't meet expectations for sales. But don't forget that the Mosaic Selects have already covered (or will shortly cover) two excellent Pacific Jazz artists, Carmell Jones and Curtis Amy.

I not against it, was thinking last night about a re-organization of the forums. Have the "Organissimo" forums up top like they are now (the two about the forums themselves and the band) and then have a "General Music" discussion including everything but Politics and the Miscellaneous section. Then maybe have a "General Discussion" area with Politics, Sport, and Miscellaneous in it.

I was also thinking of separating the AOTW and Blindfold Test Forums into something cool, but I don't know what.

Ideas?

Add my "YES" to the list. Although it's true that many jazz albums have been re-released on CD, that's not true of all the music on vinyl.

I quite recently bought a turntable, to replace the one I had, when I switched to CD some years ago. This was fortuitous, in that there are many fabulous collections of old jazz, on vinyl, available out there and I am now into collecting them, a few at a time. There are some labels which never did go to CD and JazzTone is one I can think of, off the top of my head. Cheap label, but top names and well done cover notes. On that basis alone, call me crazy, having a turntable is worth it. I do have tons of different labels, but JazzTone was the catalyst.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...