Charles Kynard

mikelz777

41WWA9S1VHL._AA240_.jpg

An excellent soul jazz two-fer containing "The Soul Brotherhood" and "Reelin' With The Feelin'". If you can't read the cover, it has some great players on it. Fathead Newman, Grant Green, Blue Mitchell, Wilton Felder, Joe Pass, Jimmy Lewis, Mickey Roker, Carol Kaye and Phil Humphrey.

As of this writing, this CD is fairly expensive all over the internet but there's one currently on auction on Ebay and the bidding's less than $5.00 right now. Grab one if you find one at a price you like, it's a wonderful set!

Edited by mikelz777

41WWA9S1VHL._AA240_.jpg

An excellent soul jazz two-fer containing "The Soul Brotherhood" and "Reelin' With The Feelin'". If you can't read the cover, it has some great players on it. Fathead Newman, Grant Green, Blue Mitchell, Wilton Felder, Joe Pass, Jimmy Lewis, Mickey Roker, Carol Kaye and Phil Humphrey.

As of this writing, this CD is fairly expensive all over the internet but there's one currently on auction on Ebay and the bidding's less than $5.00 right now. Grab one if you find one at a price you like, it's a wonderful set!

seconded, the only Kynard i know and i like it a lot...

how does the Legends of Acid Jazz twofer compare?

41WWA9S1VHL._AA240_.jpg

seconded, the only Kynard i know and i like it a lot...

how does the Legends of Acid Jazz twofer compare?

I only know the Legends Of Acid Jazz Kynard CD by the sound samples on Amazon. Of the two, I think prefer The Soul Brotherhood but I may eventually pick up the other.

41WWA9S1VHL._AA240_.jpg

Fairly high prices? I got this one from Newbury Comics via ebay for less than two bucks!

41WWA9S1VHL._AA240_.jpg

Fairly high prices? I got this one from Newbury Comics via ebay for less than two bucks!

Good for you. That's why I pointed out the current auction at Ebay. If you'd have looked around at other sites it's going for $20.00+ if they have it at all.

Edited by mikelz777

Well, "Soul brotherhood" was one of Kynard's best albums. It's a good bit better than "Reelin' with the feelin'" which is the other album on that CD. It's also a good bit better than either of the LPs on the Legends of Acid Jazz CD - "Afro-disiac" and "Wa-tu-wah-zui".

"Soul brotherhood" is as good as "Professor soul", which has only been issued on CD in Japan. But I think that was one that was reissued quite cheaply earlier this year, so Hiroshi can probably get it.

The other great Kynards are "Where it's at" on PJ, which has never been reissued, I think. Dan will agree, won't he? And Sonny Stitt's "My mother's eyes" also on PJ. And I think that one also has never made it to CD.

In the last couple of weeks, since I got it from Hiroshi, I've been groovin' quite hard to "Charles Kynard", a recent Japanese reissue from Mainstream. That one's a LOT better than either of his other Mainstream albums. Nearly as good as "Afro-disiac" and "Reelin' with the feelin'".

Two more bits of Kyard are on their way to me from Hiroshi:

"Paul Humphrey" by Paul Humphrey and

"Night blooming jazzmen" by the Night Blloming Jazzmen

And don't forget that next month, there is another Japanese reissue of some classic Kynard:

Afrique - Soul makossa

No one needs to go short of Kynard.

MG

And Sonny Stitt's "My mother's eyes" also on PJ. And I think that one also has never made it to CD.

Good news then. This recently came out on CD on Groove Hut, one of the numerous "Andorran" labels.

51agY1QZKnL._SS500_.jpg

Perhaps they will also reissue Kynard's own PJ album?

As for The Soul Brotherhood, I got it from Newbury Comics, but it's still in the backlog!

And Sonny Stitt's "My mother's eyes" also on PJ. And I think that one also has never made it to CD.

Good news then. This recently came out on CD on Groove Hut, one of the numerous "Andorran" labels.

51agY1QZKnL._SS500_.jpg

Perhaps they will also reissue Kynard's own PJ album?

As for The Soul Brotherhood, I got it from Newbury Comics, but it's still in the backlog!

Thanks for that; now on order. When I did a search at all the European Amazons for "sonny stitt" "my mother's eyes", I got no results, so I left off "sonny stitt" and up it came. What's with this?

If Groove Hut thought of issuing "Where it's at", they could have put it on the same CD as "My mother's eyes", so I doubt that it will come out.

MG

The other great Kynards are "Where it's at" on PJ, which has never been reissued, I think. Dan will agree, won't he?

Absolutely.

Do you have any details on these (dates, personnel, label)?

Least of all his family. Because I named "Where Its At" as one of the AOTWs a long time ago (no one had it but I sent out burns to those interested) I was contacted by his brother, Gary, who told me that the family has been trying to obtain as much of Charles' music as possible. Ever since, I've been sending CDs and CDRs (or arranging to be sent in the case of the Mainstream recordings) to Gary's address.

So, I am very curious about these "new" recordings. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Gary doesn't even know they exist.

Charles Kynard & Buddy Colette - Warm winds

What's this one like? I saw it at the book store used for 15 dollars. Is it worth that much?

Went ahead and went back to the store and bought it. Figured i'd never find it anywhere again.

Quite right. I quite like it, though I wouldn't jump off the roof if I didn't have it. I can't remember what I paid for it, but $15 isn't far off.

MG

The other great Kynards are "Where it's at" on PJ, which has never been reissued, I think. Dan will agree, won't he?

Absolutely.

Do you have any details on these (dates, personnel, label)?

Least of all his family. Because I named "Where Its At" as one of the AOTWs a long time ago (no one had it but I sent out burns to those interested) I was contacted by his brother, Gary, who told me that the family has been trying to obtain as much of Charles' music as possible. Ever since, I've been sending CDs and CDRs (or arranging to be sent in the case of the Mainstream recordings) to Gary's address.

So, I am very curious about these "new" recordings. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Gary doesn't even know they exist.

Dan, I was surprised, and pleased, to see what you’re doing with Charles’ family. So I thought I’d do some research in the Lord discography, to see what I could find.

Struth! There’s quite a few I didn’t know about. So here we go with a full list, plus a few comments. I haven’t bothered with details of well known things, just listed them.

[J2985-4] Marvin Jenkins

Carmell Jones, Freddie Hill (tp) Buddy Collette, Clifford Scott (ts,fl) Richard "Groove" Holmes, Charles Kynard (org) Marvin Jenkins (p,cel,vcl) Ray Crawford, John Gray (g) Lewis Large, Al McKibbon (b) Frank Severino, Donald Dean (d)

Hollywood, 1962

Big City Palomar G24001

I love Paris -

I'm always drunk in San Francisco -

Kansas City -

You came a long way from St. Louis -

City blues -

Rainy day in Los Angeles -

Autumn in New York -

Chicago -

Small town -

Memphis, Tennessee -

Visit me today -

Phew! What a BAND! Kynard fans will know that “Big city” was also recorded on “Soul brotherhood”. Now we know what the association was.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charles Kynard – Where it’s at – PJ72, 1963

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Les McCann – The gospel truth – PJ69, 1963

Sonny Stitt – My mother’s eyes – PJ71, 1963

Charles Kynard & Buddy Colette – Warm winds WP1823, 1964

Clifford Scott – Lavender sax – WP1825, 1964

[R4306-4] Howard Roberts

Somethin's cookin':

Al Porcino, Ray Triscari, John Audino (tp) or Bob Bryant, Jack Sheldon (tp) or Shorty Rogers (tp) Bob Enevoldsen, Frank Rosolino (tb) or Gil Falco (tb) Ken Shroyer (b-tb) Charles Kynard (org) Howard Roberts, Jack Marshall (g) Chuck Berghofer (b) Earl Palmer (d) Victor Feldman (perc)

Hollywood, CA, July, 1964

52409 Charade Cap T2214

52410 Bluesette -

52411 Maniac -

52412 Blues in the night -

[R4307-4] Howard Roberts

Hollywood, CA, August 1, 1964

52595 Something's cookin' Cap T2214

52596 Cute -

52597 The lonesome cowboy -

52598 Recado bossa nova -

[R4308-4] Howard Roberts

Hollywood, CA, August 2, 1964

52677 A hard day's night Cap T2214

52678 In a mellotone -

52679 People -

52680 Frankie and what's his name -

Note: Capitol T2214(mono) = ST2214(stereo).

[R4309-4] Howard Roberts

Goodies:

Charles Kynard, Pete Jolly, Henry Cain (org) Howard Roberts, Donald Parker, Tommy Tedesco, Carol Kaye, John Pisano, John Gray (g) Chuck Berghofer, Max Bennett (b) Hal Blaine, Frank Capp, Shelly Manne, Larry Bunker (d)

Hollywood, CA, June, 1965

53873 I know a place Cap T2400

53875 Chim chim cheree -

[R4310-4] Howard Roberts

Hollywood, CA, June 1965

55040 Marie Cap T2400

55041 Summer wind -

55042 Love -

55043 Three o'clock in the morning -

55044 Who can I turn to ? -

55045 Fly me to the moon -

Charles Kynard

[R4311-4] Howard Roberts

Hollywood, CA, June 1965

55052 Goodies Cap T2400

55053 More -

55054 Girl talk -

Note: Capitol T2400(mono) = ST2400(stereo).

All titles from Capitol T2400 also on Capitol (Jap)CP-7535.

Charles Kynard – Professor soul – PR7599, 6 Aug 1968

[G4944-4] Cal Green

Trippin' with Cal Green:

Charles Kynard (p,org) Cal Green (g) Tracy Wright (el-b) Billy Moore (d,perc)

Torrance, California, 1969

Trippin' Mutt & Jeff Records MJ001

Sweet September -

The days of wine and roses -

Sieda -

My cherie amour -

Mellow in blue -

Johnny's gone to Vietnam -

I’ve been looking for this one for decades…

Charles Kynard – Soul brotherhood – PR7630, 10 Mar 1969

[A1888-4] Johnny Almond

Hollywood blues: Johnny Almond's Music Machine:

Johnny Almond (as,ts,vib,fl,org) (as-1,ts-2,vib-3, fl-4,org-5) Hadley Caliman (ts,fl) (ts-7,fl-8) Curtis Amy (ts,sop) (ts-9,sop-10) Vi Redd (as) (as-11) Charles Kynard (org) Joe Pass (el-g) Ray Neapolitan (b-g) Earl Palmer (d) (d-6) Joe Harris (d)

Hollywood, July, 1969

It's the water (2,6,7) Deram SML1057

Funkville U.S.A. (4,6,8) -

Agadir sunset (3,9) -

Blues for Helen (1,11) -

Hot rod (2,9,jp out) -

Slipping easy (2,4,9,10) -

Kwei Ying Fu (5) -

Perdido (1,11 + org,g,b,d only) -

Johnny Almond was a British sax player who played with, I think, John Mayall and others. He became a bit of a fusion man.

Charles Kynard – Reelin’ with the feelin’ – PR7688, 11 Aug 1969

Charles Kynard – Afro-disiac – PR7796, 6 Apr 1970

Charles Kynard - Wa-tu-wah-zui – PR10008, 14 Dec 1970

Charles Kynard – Charles Kynard – Mainstream 331, 1971

Charles Kynard – Woga – Mainstream 366, 1972

Charles Kynard – Your mama don’t dance – Mainstream 389, 1973

[M8207-4] Blue Mitchell

The last tango = blues:

Blue Mitchell (tp) Bill Perkins (fl,ts) David Angel (cl,as) Herman Riley, Jackie Kelso (ts) Steve Kravitz (b-cl,bar) Charles Kynard (org) David T. Walker (g) Darrell Clayborn (el-b) or Chuck Rainey (el-b) Raymond Pounds (d) King Errison, Paul Humphrey, Chino Valdes (perc) Richard Fritz (arr)

Los Angeles, 1973

Soul turn around Mainstream MRL392

Killing me softly with his song -

The message -

Steal the feel -

Last tango in Paris -

One for Russ -

Peace -

P.T. blues -

[J2877-4] Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey:

Blue Mitchell (tp) Paul Jeffrey (ts) Bill Green, Jay Migliori (bar) Joe Sample (p) Charles Kynard (org) George Walker, David T. Wright, Darrell Clayborn, David T. Walker (g) Chuck Rainey (el-b) Raymond Pounds (d) King Errison, Chino Valdes (cga) Bob Zimmitti, Emil Radocchia (perc)

Los Angeles, CA, 1974

Soul revival Mainstream MRL406, MSL1032

Ben - -

Hip soul sister - -

Bondage - -

Jacoba's song - -

Acrema - -

Sorry – in my earlier post I noted this as Paul Humphrey.

[K4743-4] Charles Kynard

Larry McGuire (tp) Jerry Rusch (tp,flhrn) Dave Robinson (tb,b-tb) Charles Kynard (org) Charles Mallory (g) Carol Kaye (b) Paul Humphrey (d)

c. 1974

Smiling faces sometimes Mainstream 5518, MRL350, MRL413

Fire and water Mainstream MRL350

Funky butt Mainstream 5518

Note: Mainstream MRL350 titled "Get it together"; for other titles see under Charles McPherson, Dave Hubbard, Charles Williams, Johnny Coles.

Mainstream MRL413 titled "Booty"; for other titles see under Blue Mitchell, Charles Williams, Dave Hubbard and Roy Haynes.

[W146-4] Tom Waits

Blue Valentine:

Herb Hardesty, Frank Vicari (ts) Tom Waits (p,g,vcl) Dawilli Gonga (keyboards) Charles Kynard (org) Harold Battiste (p) Ray Crawford, Roland Bautista, Shine Robinson (g) Byron Miller, Jim Hughart, Scott Edwards (b) Ricky Lawson, Alan Chip White, Earl Palmer (d) Bobbye Hall (cga) coll. pers.

Hollywood, CA, 1978

Somewhere Asylum AS53088, Elektra 162 [CD]

Red shoes by the drugstore - -

Christmas card from a hooker in Minneapolis - -

Romeo is bleeding - -

Wrong side of the road - -

Whistling past the graveyard - -

Kentucky Avenue - -

A sweet little bullet from a pretty blue gun - -

Blue Valentines - -

Note: All above titles also on Warner (Jap)WPCP-3587 [CD].

Two other albums are NOT listed in Lord

Afrique – Soul Makossa – Mainstream 394 (1973)

1. Soul Makossa - 4:30

2. Kissing My Love - 3:02

3. Sleepwalk - 3:36

4. Let Me Do My Thing - 4:45

5. Slow Motion - 4:09

6. Hot Mud - 4:10

7. House of Rising Funk - 3:27

8. Dueling Guitars - 3:27

9. Hot Doggin' - 3:23

10. Get It - 3:24

David T. Walker - Guitar

Arthur Wright - Guitar

Chuck Rainey - Fender Bass

Charles Kynard - Organ

Ray Pound - Drums

Chino Valdes - Percussion

King Errisson - Percussion

Paul Humphrey - Percussion

Paul Jeffrey - Tenor Sax

Joe Kelso - Tenor Sax

Steve Kravitz - Baritone Sax

Wallace Snow - Percussion

Charles Taggart - Percussion

Night Blooming Jazzmen - Night Blooming Jazzmen – Mainstream 348, c.71

1 Nam M'Yoho Ren' Ge Kyo

2 Funkville U.S.A.

3 Evil Gal Blues

4 Calypsoul

5 Donte's Inferno

6 The Night Blooming Jazzmen

7 I Remember Bird

8 Signing Off

Musicmatch give this as the personnel

Leonard Feather Arranger, Piano, Producer, Main Performer, Liner Notes

Andy Simpkins Bass

Kevin Gray Mastering

George Shearing Piano

Willie Bobo Conga

Chino Valdes Conga

Paul Humphrey Drums

Ernie Watts Flute, Piccolo, Sax (Tenor), Sax (Alto)

Fred Robinson Guitar

Blue Mitchell Flugelhorn, Trumpet

Al McKibbon Bass

Max Bennett Bass, Bass (Electric)

Charles Kynard Organ

Stix Hooper Drums

Joe Pass Guitar

Lew Tabackin Flute, Sax (Tenor)

I seem to remember that the reason I didn’t buy this at the time was that Charles was only on a few tracks.

There we go then.

MG

Thanks MG, I didn't realize that what you had recently ordered were Mainstream releases, which I believe I arranged through a board member to be sent to the Kynards. Re the Cal Green, you should inquire with Hiroshi. It was released a year or two ago in Japan, I got it and sent it on to Gary.

Thanks MG, I didn't realize that what you had recently ordered were Mainstream releases, which I believe I arranged through a board member to be sent to the Kynards. Re the Cal Green, you should inquire with Hiroshi. It was released a year or two ago in Japan, I got it and sent it on to Gary.

Yes Dan, I've seen that the Cal Green has been recently reissued. I've got "Soul makossa" by Afrique on order for next month from Hiroshi - I'll ask about this oone, too.

MG

WEll, these two have turned up now.

nightbloomi_nightbloo_101b.jpgjeffre_paul_pauljeffr_101b.jpg

They are GROOVATHONS!!!!!! (As I mentioned elsewhere :) )

Here is the correct personnel for "Night blooming jazzmen"

Leonard Feather - piano, composer, arranger

Blue Mitchell - tp

Ernie Watts - as, ts, fl, piccolo

Charles Kynard - org

Freddie Robinson - g

Max Bennett - el b

Al McKibbon - acc b

Paul Humphrey - d

Chino Valdes - cga

Ditty Doswell - voc

The Paul Jeffrey's personnel is

Paul Jeffrey - ts

Blue Mitchell - tp

Jay Migliori & Bill Green - bars

Charles Kynard - org

Joe Sample - p

David T Walker - g

George Walker - g (who he?)

George Wright - g (and another who he - not, I assume, the former General Secretary of the Wales TUC)

Darrell Clayborn - g

Chuck Rainey - b

Ray Pounds on the drums (doesn't he?)

Robert Zimmitti & Emil Radocchia - perc

King Errisson & Chino Valdes - cga

MG

are any of the kynard mainsteam titles not just short cop soundtrack-ey joints? i am feeling maybe the self-titled is the deepest?

the other two seem a bit produced...not sure if this one is even good. they all have too many covers or fritz tunes, at least.

I'm not keen on Fritz. His arrangements seem too brittle for me. "Woga" is pretty poor, in my view. "Your mama don't dance" is a bit better. The instrumentation of "Charles Kynard" offers very little scope for Fritz arrangements, though most of the tunes are his. They're slight, but jazz abounds with slight originals, so, shrug. "Charles Kynard" sounds about as good as "Wah-tu-wa-zui" and "Afro-disiac" to me.

As far as I know, the only cover recording Charles made was of "Soul makossa", in which he was a member of a studio group - Afrique - put together by Bob Shad specifically in order to steal sales from Manu Dibango's version, which had been a hit all over Europe. And it succeeded; Afrique's version was nearly as big a hit in the US as Manu's.

If you mean by covers, recording tunes that other people have recorded, I'm not sure what the problem is. I don't think people like Duke Ellington, Horace Silver, Sonny Rollins, Percy Mayfield, Jobim, the Gershwins etc etc, ever thought that other people recording their songs was a problem.

MG

well of course but kynard was covering things like "it's too late" on these albums. how many more organ versions of that tune do i want to hear?

I don't know. How many?

How many versions of What's going on", "Willow weep for me" or "Since I fell for you" by a tenor player do you want to hear?

Or maybe it makes a difference who he is.

MG

well of course but kynard was covering things like "it's too late" on these albums. how many more organ versions of that tune do i want to hear?

I don't know. How many?

How many versions of What's going on", "Willow weep for me" or "Since I fell for you" by a tenor player do you want to hear?

Or maybe it makes a difference who he is.

MG

In the case of MartyJazz, I'm pretty sure he could do without any more versions of "Since I Fell For You" by a tenor player. :g

• 7 months later...

[K4743-4] Charles Kynard

Larry McGuire (tp) Jerry Rusch (tp,flhrn) Dave Robinson (tb,b-tb) Charles Kynard (org) Charles Mallory (g) Carol Kaye (b) Paul Humphrey (d)

c. 1974

Smiling faces sometimes Mainstream 5518, MRL350, MRL413

Fire and water Mainstream MRL350

Funky butt Mainstream 5518

Note: Mainstream MRL350 titled "Get it together"; for other titles see under Charles McPherson, Dave Hubbard, Charles Williams, Johnny Coles.

Mainstream MRL413 titled "Booty"; for other titles see under Blue Mitchell, Charles Williams, Dave Hubbard and Roy Haynes.

This is why I love this place. For years, I've been trying to figure out the source of "Funky Butt." I have it on the flip of the Deligates "Convention '74" 45, but I knew there was more to the story than that. Awesome.

Man, I got The Soul Brotherhood CD a few months ago and really dig it, so I guess I'll have to track the rest of this session down too. :D

• 2 months later...

I'm a big fan of Charles Kynard. I REALLY great organist who had his own distinct style. His album on Mainstream, simply titled Charles Kynard, is an absolute stone cold groove-a-thon. With Carol Kaye on bass and James Gadson on drums. REALLY bad to the bone. And like Dan mentioned...that gospel stuff he did showed he could do it ALL (if you ever had your doubts). Charles Kynard was a master of the organ.