Don Patterson

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, CJ. I just got a new interface for my computer which will allow me to dump these tracks in digitally from my portable recording device so I can actually mix this stuff for real.

J Lee, it seems to work fine for me. Try right clicking on the link and choosing "Save Target As". This will let you download the tune to your harddrive and you can listen to it from there.

J Lee reminded me of this thread. "Why Not?" off the album of the same name has become one of my favorite tunes of late. It was written by Houston Person but the only place I've seen it is on Don Patterson's record on MUSE. I love playing that tune.

Here's a little ditty I wrote for Don called "Patterson's People". This is from our tour last August with Randy's father, Arno Marsh. This is very poorly mixed... it's basically just a reference so we can choose what tracks we may want to release from over 8 hours of recordings. But you can get the idea.

Patterson's People

We'll probably do this tune on our next record. It's fun to solo on. :)

Long live Don Patterson!

Had no problems downloading it, very nice :D !

Mark

What an incredible performance, B3-er -- if that's any indication of what your group is capable of, this will be just a *classic* record for years to come.

Wow, thanks for the compliment! Not to toot my own horn, but we do have a CD available on our homepage (www.organissimo.org). The CD is all originals and the folks around here seem to like it! :)

We're currently working on our sophomore record as well as determining if we have enough material to release a live disc from the recordings that "Patterson's People" came from.

Hi,

I'm very late to this party, but besides "The Exciting New Organ of Don Patterson" and "Hip Cakewalk," my favorite Don Patterson albums are Sonny Stitt albums. The very best one is, IMO, "Shangri-La." Several Rhythm Changes tunes and blueses that swing just right; nothing too blisteringly fast.

Also there is a relatively new release that has Stitt and DP live-- sorry I have no details, my copy is a copy of a copy.

My problem with the later Patterson recordings is with the audio and the chorale used-- it's too phasey and mushy-sounding for me.

-OF

Also there is a relatively new release that has Stitt and DP live-- sorry I have no details, my copy is a copy of a copy.

I think you're referring to the Live At The Left Bank disc that was put out on Dorn's last ill-fated label. While the sound quality is lacking, the quartet is kickin' some ass on that one! :)

BTW, I just uploaded a newly mixed version of "Patterson's People" to the website. This one should sound a little better and has some "chatter" for Big Al to enjoy at the front! :)

http://www.organissimo.org/pub/PattersonsPeople.mp3

I think you're referring to the Live At The Left Bank disc that was put out on Dorn's last ill-fated label. While the sound quality is lacking, the quartet is kickin' some ass on that one!

That's the one. Very high tempos in Db!

BTW, I just uploaded a newly mixed version of "Patterson's People" to the website.

Nice tune!

I really appreciate that you play the pedals "right." Not only the taps, but the occasional doubling with your left hand, what I call "pedal bombs" and McDuff called "making a statement." :lol:

Are you using chorus 2? If it's chorus 3 it's a bit weak, needs a different chorus resistor....

-OF

P.S. I guess you must have HATED those Groove Holmes clips! :blink:

I'm looking forward to hearing your guys's freshman effort, as soon as the postman delivers. Given any thoughts to touring out to Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse? You could easily follow a great lakes trajectory -- Bobby Militello's "Tralfamadore" club would be a natural fit for you guys, but there are some other great clubs in Buffalo I could put you in touch with with friendly (=generous, at least by rock and roll standards) proprietors.

Nice tune!

I really appreciate that you play the pedals "right." Not only the taps, but the occasional doubling with your left hand, what I call "pedal bombs" and McDuff called "making a statement."  :lol:

Thanks, Scott. When I first started studying organ full-time I was very apprehensive of the pedals. I put off learning them for about 2 years until finally my mentor said, "Look, if you don't play pedals you might as well play piano." That really stuck with me. He taught me the "right" way to play.

Are you using chorus 2? If it's chorus 3 it's a bit weak, needs a different chorus resistor....

Yes, I'm using C2. I go back and forth but I mainly use C2. Just a personal preference.

P.S. I guess you must have HATED those Groove Holmes clips!  :blink:

Yeah, those were terrible. ;) Who's the guitarist? Joe Dukes was the quintessential organ drummer, right up there with the oft-maligned Donald Bailey. They are like ying and yang. Dukes is the agressive organ drummer, Bailey was the passive.

The guy that invented the Nova Bass was from Kalamazoo, MI I believe. A lot of folks I've met are looking for him but nobody knows what happened to him. I heard that he got in trouble because of some patent issues with his design and now he won't touch the units, even for repair.

I prefer the original Hammond bass myself. With the right amplification and pedal technique, it's all you need. :) In fact, I've had several people ask if I'm using some sort of mod on my bass on gigs and they are surprised when I say no. I have a customized direct box on the Hammond that I route to an EQ (to filter out everything but the bass) and then run that into a seperate speaker (sometimes a 15" cabinet, sometimes a sub). Just enough "oomph" to make a difference.

I'm looking forward to hearing your guys's freshman effort, as soon as the postman delivers. Given any thoughts to touring out to Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse? You could easily follow a great lakes trajectory -- Bobby Militello's "Tralfamadore" club would be a natural fit for you guys, but there are some other great clubs in Buffalo I could put you in touch with with friendly (=generous, at least by rock and roll standards) proprietors.

j lee, we would love to come up to Buffalo. PM me some of those contacts and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks for posting this. I can't wait to hear the rest of the gig.

This is the first time that I've heard Arno. I am really taken by his playing. Something about his phrasing sounds very familiar to me. I'm not saying he sounds like someone else or that i've heard it before. Not at all. His tone and sound feel like home to me. Very comforting and satisfying. I don't know if that makes sense, but it does to me!

:)

Arno is a treat to hang out with as well. He's got plenty of stories, having been on the scene since the 40's. He was telling me that his roomate in NYC was friends with one Charlie Parker, and that Bird used to come up to the aparment they shared to play chess!

Arno's recent cds come highly recommended. There's at least one recent thread if you care to search for it.

• 2 months later...

JSngry Posted: Mar 19 2003, 02:27 AM  

Any thoughts on the RETURN OF DON PETERSON album (that's how I have it) w/Eddie Daniels (still sucking Joe Henderson's jimmy, but doing it in such a self-respecting way), Ted Dunbar, & Freddie Waits?

For me, it's worth it to me for "Love Story" alone,

And what's up w/Don Schlitten & that tune anyway? Cedar did a trio version of it on BREAKTHROUGH. It's a better tune than whoever had the hit on it (Mancini?) cared to reveal, but it's not THAT good. One has to wonder, one does...

b3-er Posted: Mar 19 2003, 04:09 AM  

I LOVE that record, even though it's sloppy in some places. I love the first tune, "Jesse Jackson"! They muck the head up something awful, but it's got such a cool vibe! And then there's the cover of the theme from The Odd Couple! What a great tune to solo over! I played along to that just the other night and had a blast!

Holy crap, this is a GREAT album! I found it used as KING OF THE B-3, a Muse CD issue from 1991, this past weekend and figured I'd begin my Patterson education with it (no prior Patterson in my collection). I liked it so much that I did a search 'cause I figured SOMEONE had to have talked about it before, and sure enuff, they had.

This has quickly become one of my favorite jazz organ albums, bar none, up there with the finest of Larry Young, Eddy Louiss, etc. Smokin'! True it's quite sloppy at times (there's one point where Dunbar gets so far behind the rest in playing a long spun-out type of phrase that it actually sounds for a moment like his solo was spliced in at the wrong spot!) but that really adds to the charm for me. I love the way it sounds like it's totally unvarnished and unprettied up, and LOVE the way it's recorded, up close and personal and very true to life.

Jim's comment about Daniels/Henderson is damn funny, but I have to admit I don't really hear it, must be a musician thing. I am pretty awed by the fact that Daniels plays with complete mastery on soprano, alto, and tenor. Not a particularly distinctive sound on any of the axes, but I wouldn't have made the Henderson parallel myself (he's not rhythmically in the same bag to me).

Funny enough, Patterson is probably the weakest soloist here to my ears, but it just flat out don't matter when you can swing like he does - man oh man, his basslines are the BEST I've ever heard by an organist, and his comping drives the train. Love the sound he gets too, must be an unusual combination of stops. Woo hoo!

I dig Dunbar's playing too, not the smoothest but he's going out on many harmonic limbs so you can forgive a few fluffs, he's REACHING. And I've always dug Freddy Waits, a quintessential classy jazz drummer.

I love the fact they do the "Odd Couple Theme" too, I've always wondered why more people didn't, it's a damn catchy tune and harmonically interesting.

I can't wait for the drive home to pop this in the car player again.

Edited by DrJ

• 1 year later...

Up - for no particular reason, just to keep the discussion goin'.

I'm listening to Don's 1964 Prestige take on The Good Life right now - indeed a sublime and yet powerful performance, as Jim pointed out.

Long live Don Patterson!

I'm completing my Patterson CDs by and by - just some Prestige with Stitt that's missing. The two recorded a lot together!