Don Patterson

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having never heard the Don Patterson version of "People," I can't comment on the performance specifically. However, I can say for certain that there is no Stephen Sondheim song called "People." Sondheim did write lyrics to a song called "Some People" for the show "Gypsy" (1959) with music by Jule Styne, who also wrote the "People (Who Need People)" under discussion, with lyrics by Bob Merrill from the show "Funny Girl" (1964). Perhaps this is the source of the confusion. Surely the Patterson recording is the latter, right? The discography says it was recorded in May 1964, which is about six weeks after "Funny Girl" opened on Broadway.

In a ridiculously arcane footnote, I can report that Sondheim also wrote a very early song (music and lyrics) called "The People Will Hear" when he was about 18 that appeared in a show called "All That Glitters" produced at Williams College in 1949 when he was a student there. Other Sondeim songs with the word "people" in the title include: "Silly People," which was cut from "A Little Night Music" (1973); "So Many People" from the show "Saturday Night," which was originally to be produced on Broadway in 1955 but abandoned when the producer died and finally staged for the first time in 1997 in London; and "Another Hundred People," an anthem from "Company" (1970)

But I digress ...

Edited by Mark Stryker

• 8 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 24.12.2009 at 0:07 PM, Mark Stryker said:

Having never heard the Don Patterson version of "People," I can't comment on the performance specifically. However, I can say for certain that there is no Stephen Sondheim song called "People."

The song "People" Patterson recorded is he tune by Jule Styne & Bob Merrill.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...