Charlie Hunter

Ed S

I was just checking out new releases on Jazzmatazz and saw a March 25th release for The Charlie Hunter Quintet with Charlie Hunter (guitar); John Ellis (tenor saxophone, bass clarinet); Gregoire Maret (chromatic harmonica); Curtis Fowlkes (trombone); Derek Phillips (drums). It's on Atlantic. Any reason for Blue Note dropping him? (or vice versa)

I'm a fan of Hunter's and like the way he doesn't seem to sit still - as evidenced by the lineup above. I'll have to check this one out for sure.

Ironic, isn't it, that Hunter's last BN album marked the BN debut of Norah Jones.

But Atlantic? I thiought that their jazz thing was kaput. Maybe this isn't going to be marketed as "jazz"? And maybe that means more promo $$$? And maybe that appealed to Hunter? Maybe he saw a chance at that "next level" of popularity?

I'm just constucting a scenario in my mind. I have no idea whatsoever, and it's news to me as well.

It is indeed ironic.

I know that Hunter doesn't get much mention on the boards, but I dig him. When he first came on the scene, I thought he would paint himself into a corner with his style of playing, a la Stanley Jordan. But I've enjoyed hearing him in all the various contexts that he has placed himself in.

I thought of him as one of the best that Blue Note had on its roster. I'd rather see him with BN than Wynton for sure.

In checking a little further, it looks like the album was recorded on one of those self made labels - Ropeadope Records and has subsequently been picked up by Atlantic. Maybe it was the bucks or marketing, but its BN's loss for sure.

One more thing.

I've mentioned this before, but if you have a high speed connection, there is a program called Furthurnet. It's a free peer-to-peer filing sharing software. They only trade live shows of bands or artists who approve of file sharing. I'm mentioning this right now because there are 3 live Charlie Hunter shows up there right now. They have some other jazz, but it's usually the MMW type of stuff.

Furthurnet Website

Edited by AfricaBrass

Hunter's represented in my collection by way of compilations and samplers only. "Two for Bleu" from Charlie Hunter and "Enter the Dragon" from Return of the Candyman are strong on grooves and high on excitement. The man has strong fingers and uses them well. I didn't go for, however, the two Norah tracks.

Anyway, it is a mild surprise to hear that jerks over there decided to let him go ... Then again, seven CDs (with most of them still in print) add up to a long, successful run there. Probably, it's best for both sides to look for new directions. Is Rodney Jones still on the roster? He was another one with an identity (in terms of marketing) crisis there, it appeared.

Edited by Saint Vitus

Speaking of Ropeadope, Sex Mob has a new one out this summer.

Their current tour is billed as: Modern Myth: The Music of Little Richard, Duke Ellington and John Barry and original music based on the writings of James Ellroy.

Edited by alankin

The first I heard Hunter is from a concert tape with Medeski, Martin, and Wood, recorded in Austin, TX. Hunter does great stuff with MMW, and plays some very inventive stuff. Still need to get my first album, but I like the live stuff I've heard so far.

Not to get too far back on the subject but Charlie Hunter is a true genius.

The technical ability required to play bass lines, chords and melody on that 8 string monster are beyond human. (Kinda like playing the B3)

His tone is unique to him - more organ than guitar. (Sounds kinda like a B3)

Like B3er my two favorites are Duo and Charlie Hunter.

Saw him live last year in New Orleans around Jazzfest and he was great live.

:o

Man, Jim--did I thank you??? :unsure: If not, a thousand apologies! Thanks!

The Maupin is completely wild. Not what I was expecting, given when it was recorded...but out there! I really like the melodic interplay...and the entire record is sort of trance-like, which I enjoyed immensely. To analogize to Grant Green, I guess I was expecting "Alive," but came away with "Am I Blue" (can't think of any better comparison!) I really dig it.

Thanks again.

:g