Charlie Hunter

Ed S

The fact that Hunter released 7 recordings is a big hint about the timing of any artist parting ways with a label. That's the standard contract length. I figured this was the reason, so I gave Michael Cuscuna a call. Hunter's contract was up. This was the reason he's no longer on BN. The "parting of ways" was mutual. Hunter's contract was up and they talked a bit. Maybe BN didn't offer enough? Maybe Hunter wanted more? I don't know why, but they decided to let Hunter go and Hunter agreed.

BTW, I was able to extract one of the October Connoisseurs from Michael too. I'll have to post about that.

Later,

Kevin

I'm not sure the contract length is the same number of albums for every artist. Javon Jackson was gone after five albums, for example.

Bertrand.

From what I can gather, "standard" is usually "X" # of albums with an option for "x" more if the label desires.

Perhaps in Hunter's and Jackson's case the "X" was five, the option for 2, and Hunter's option got picked up while JAckson's didn't?

Guest youmustbe

Ropeadope is run by the guy that ran the Knitting Factory record label. It is funded by Atlantic. It has no money right now, and will not unless Atlantic ponies up.

Ropeadope is run by the guy that ran the Knitting Factory record label. It is funded by Atlantic. It has no money right now, and will not unless Atlantic ponies up.

I'm hopeful but not optimisitic that they will.Besides Hunter that's the current home of another one of my favorites the Dirty Dozen Brass Band.

• 3 years later...