BFT 51 - Signup

Nate Dorward

Thought I'd get moving on this relatively early, because (due to a combo of technical limitations on this end plus my own preferences) I'll be doing this via mailed CDRs rather than uploaded MP3s. My experience of airmail from Canada to the States has been that two weeks should be allowed for it (airmail overseas tends to be faster).

And also, I had a question: do people here prefer a single- or double-CDR BFT? I ask because it seems to me that sometimes it's asking a lot of folks for them to listen to so much stuff, absorb it, & produce intelligent comments about it. On the other hand, so far the potential participants I've asked have largely said, basically, the more music the better, so maybe my reservations are not widely shared. Anyway, I'd be glad to hear your thoughts. I have drafted playlists of both a one-CD and two-CD version of the BFT, so I'm prepared in either case.

As for the music: this will resemble my previous BFT, in that it will focus on recent CD releases that range from the jazz mainstream to the left-of-field. I've removed a couple tracks by Simon Nabatov & Michiel Braam, as they turned up on Gokhan's recent BFT, & have replaced them with tracks I'm pretty sure Gokhan won't know......... :)

Anyway, send me your mailing address via PM, & either in PM or in this thread a vote on the single vs double issue.

[update: have decided on a one-CD BFT; most people seemed to think this was more appealing than a longer one]

Current list of participants:

* = packet received]

*Big Al

*blind-blake

Bright Moments

*catesta

*couw

*Daniel A

Durium

*dutchmanx

Eloe Omoe

*fent99

*gnhrtg

*John B

*JSngry

*king ubu

Man with the Golden Arm

*mikeweil

*NIS

*Red

*RDK

*relyles

*Sand

*sidewinder

Stefan Wood

*Stereojack

*Tom Storer

*White Lightning

Edited by Nate Dorward

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PM on the way.

My vote is for a single disc. I think that having every BFT be two discs or more has led to some of the burnout and drop in participation. I also find it easier to find the time to comment on tracks from just one disc. It gets to be challenging when there are 30 to 40 tracks to listen to and comment on.

PM on the way.

My vote is for a single disc. I think that having every BFT be two discs or more has led to some of the burnout and drop in participation. I also find it easier to find the time to comment on tracks from just one disc. It gets to be challenging when there are 30 to 40 tracks to listen to and comment on.

I thought it started getting out of hand when just about every BFT was a double set. I listen to each BFT twice before commenting, and as much as I enjoyed participating, I have dropped out for the time being because I feel that two discs were too much of a strain on what little listening time I have.

same here... actually two discs would be nice in this case since if you focus on new releases, most or all of it will indeed be new to me, too, but generally, the long run of 2CD sets (including my own, which would have been a lot stronger had it been reduced to one disc... but I had not time to do that...) has been rather tiring.

PM to follow!

Hm, so far it looks like the tide's turning towards a single CDR? Seems fair to me....!

The other solution would be to have two volumes but do an ECM: have each one about 45 minutes long. I know that lots of people hate it when record labels release two-CD sets that barely have more than a single CD's worth of material, but I've always liked the sense of having a bit of a breather between halves.........

OK: have finalized the BFT. It's just one CD; removed a few tracks to make it focus on recent releases, which brought it down to 78 minutes, 11 tracks that I can live with. Everything from mainstream jazz to left-field big band to one brief track that will probably drive 90% of participants up the wall. I'll be interested to see what Mike Weil has to say about the drumming on the opening track :) ....

Wow, that's fast. The real test will be the US packets; my experience is that airmail from Canada to Europe is fast, airmail to the States is very slow.

Apparently mail to Nebraska isn't so bad because I got the disk today. Thanks for including me.