New 160GB iPod...

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no no no ... you gotta go out and grab that new iTouch version that WiFis synchromatically to what's being played over the din of high pitched foam steaming when you go into StarBucks to take a pee.

Just check this handy video and try not to let the afternoon's espresso rage drive you into wanting to reach into the screen and rub poi in this guy's hair!

Hell yea! I've been living abroad with my music collection of over 400 gb on an external hard drive. Directly accessing the music through the computer and Hi Fi is a pain. Therefore, I virtually only listen to what is currently on my iPods. This will greatly expand my choice set. :excited:

All I can say is thank heaven for videos. I rarely watch them, but that is the only reason why there is still a decent market for expanding the capacity of iPods.

Edited by John L

I've been holding off getting an IPod until I saw what was happening with the new models. The original plan was to go for one of the 80 GB units but hopefully for the same price I can get one of these 160 GB beasties. It will be nice to have a permanent load of all the Mosaic CD sets in my collection. With a bit of luck, the BBC-I player will also allow video download to these things of BBC TV programmes (not currently the case with the beta version of the player but I believe their long-term plans are to implement this).

The 160 GB will also allow a fair ammount of stuff from dime too. :)

Edited by sidewinder

I picked up the 160GB this afternoon. It's exactly the same size as my previous 60GB video iPod, which is nice because I can use the cases I already have.

Kind of annoying how I haven't loaded a single thing on it yet, but there's only 148.65GB of space available. If that's what the pre-loaded games and OS take up, that's pretty crazy.

I picked up the 160GB this afternoon. It's exactly the same size as my previous 60GB video iPod, which is nice because I can use the cases I already have.

Kind of annoying how I haven't loaded a single thing on it yet, but there's only 148.65GB of space available. If that's what the pre-loaded games and OS take up, that's pretty crazy.

Actually, you do have 160GB available, if 1GB=1,000,000,000 bytes.

See the "consumer confusion" discussion here.

160 * (1000*1000* 1000) = 160,000,000,000 bytes ---> divided by (1024*1024*1024) = 149 GB

My 20 gig ipod is slowly dying. I'm having battery issues (it occasionally shuts off due to "low battery" even when 75% charged) and 20 gigs isn't enough for all the music I want to put on there.

I'm trying to figure out whether I should get the 80 or 160 gig, given the relatively small difference in price. I figure that while 80 gig will almost surely be sufficient, I could encode at 192 if I get the bigger one. Then again, with the cheapo head phones I use I probably won't be able to tell the difference. :)

Even the 160 will be cheaper than the 20 gig, which I bought about 3 years ago.

Guy

Edited by Guy

160 * (1000*1000* 1000) = 160,000,000,000 bytes ---> divided by (1024*1024*1024) = 149 GB

I hadn't calculated that, but I'm aware of the difference. It's just annoying. It would be nice if "160GB iPod" meant "160GB of usable space out of the box." Same idea goes for hard drives when you buy them. Oh well.

The Apple cash extractor is still at work. Guess you folks will pay for the iphone credits. :mellow:

Normally I would agree with you Chuck. I'm not wasting my money on the iPhone.

I remember when I bought my first IPod, I tried my best to avoid buying an Apple product. However, I came to the conclusion that Apple was offering the best product in its class. Maybe that's changed since then.

Guy

ps I'm looking forward to the iTurd (new product that will make your shit come out in a glistening white color)...

The Apple cash extractor is still at work. Guess you folks will pay for the iphone credits. :mellow:

Normally I would agree with you Chuck. I'm not wasting my money on the iPhone.

I remember when I bought my first IPod, I tried my best to avoid buying an Apple product. However, I came to the conclusion that Apple was offering the best product in its class. Maybe that's changed since then.

Guy

ps I'm looking forward to the iTurd (new product that will make your shit come out in a glistening white color)...

I concur with Guy. I'm no fan of Apple, and especially dislike the hype. Both of the iPods I've purchased were purchased solely because they had the largest storage capacity I could find. I definitely won't consider an iPhone or anything like that until the storage capacity is at least 100GB, if ever at all.

Honestly, what I'd really like is a portable with sound quality like my old Sharp minidisc player (or the two Sony minidisc players I had before that). It has way better sound than any other portable music player I've heard, mp3 player or otherwise. I've taken it to work a couple times to let colleagues compare it to their mp3 players. They're blown away.

I hadn't calculated that, but I'm aware of the difference. It's just annoying. It would be nice if "160GB iPod" meant "160GB of usable space out of the box." Same idea goes for hard drives when you buy them. Oh well.

I've been reading that the IEEE 1541 (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers) recommendation

renames the true mathematical gigabyte as the gibibyte (GiB)

as well as mebibyte (MiB), tebibyte (TiB), etc. in order to make distinctions between

powers-of-two and powers-of-ten devices. Expect to see these distinctions in the near future.

You won't feel shortchanged by 73,741,824 bytes any longer!

Well, if 1 GB = 1,000,000,000, then 160 of them will be 160 GB. If you define GB alternatively as 1,073 million, then 160 GB = 1,173,800,00

At any rate, 160 GB = 160 GB, no matter how you define GB.

Edited by John L

Well, if 1 GB = 1,000,000,000, then 160 of them will be 160 GB. If you define GB alternatively as 1,073 million, then 160 GB = 1,173,800,00

I think I will wait until the iPod Touch has a larger drive than 16 GB, or is that 16 GB?

Well, I'm not sure if I understand your logic there... it really comes down to how many single bytes there are in "160 GB". You'll get a different answer depending on how 1KB is defined... is 1KB=1000 bytes or 1024 bytes? Is 1MB=1,000,000 bytes or 1,048,576 bytes, etc.

The bottom line seems to be that all computers/electronic devices/etc use the "powers of 2" definition, while the stated capacities on the box use the other one, resulting in a larger advertised size.

I have an 80GB ipod and have no interest in this new one. The only compelling reason to (eventually) upgrade will be when capacities become large enough to store everything in some sort of lossless format. My 80GB still has around 20MB free (encoded at 192VBR), and I often get that "overwhelmed" feeling when contemplating what 60GB of music really represents: almost 27 days of music! :wacko:

Regardless of capacity, replacing the supplied headphones with something much better was my first priority.

"Historically, a gigabyte has been defined in terms of powers of two: 223, that is, or 1,0243 -

exactly 1,073,741,824 bytes. The folks who sell hard drives, however,

shortchange you 73,741,824 bytes by defining a gigabyte in powers of ten,

meaning 109, or one billion bytes (1,0003)"

- Mac | Life (Oct. '07)

The logic in what I am saying is as follows: If an iPod is advertised as 160 GB, then it should be 160 GB according to one consistent definition of GB. There is no justification for using different defintions in advertisements than on the iPod itself.

In fact, I don't think that is what they are doing, which would be something like misadvertisement. They simply mean that, of 160 GB, 149 are free for music or videos, and the rest of the capacity is being taken up by the operating system and other items.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy with my 60gb Creative, except that it's filled up, and I'm kinda tempted to get another.

My big question is this: will the 160gb iPod ever refuse to load or play a valid mp3? I know that if you get your MP3 from iTunes, you might not be able to move it to your Creative, but does the iPod insist on any kind of DRM in order to play mp3s?

On gripe: I am currently living far away from home, and therefore rely 100% on iPods and iTunes for my music. I had generally tried to avoid buying music on iTunes because of copy protection, but still bit the bullet when I couldn't find the music elsewhere (for example, the Verve-Impulse iTunes only reissues).

My computer broke down and I bought another one. All of my iTunes files were backed up on external hard drives. So no problem... almost. When I tried to access my copy-protected iTunes files, it asked for a password to authorize my new computer to use them (keep in mind, you only get 5 chances to do this. After thant, the copy protected files will be locked away from you, even though you bought them!) But it turns out that you need to go through the iTunes Store to receive the authorization. Unfortunately, where I am living, I only have a dial-up internet connection at home that is not powerful enough to interact with the iTunes Store.

So I am stuck. I bought a bunch of music at the iTunes Store that I am now denied access to. :angry::angry::angry: