Luciano Pavarotti, dead at 71

sidewinder

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really understand why folks can't divorce sociology from music/history OR relate the two in a constructive way. Lester Bowie always looked for a way to "work the system" as Bach, Puccini, Verdi, Beethoven, Mozart, etc did before.

I do take note of many posts dealing with mid '30s 'til today. There is so much more.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Don't really understand why folks can't divorce sociology from music/history OR relate the two in a constructive way.

Yes, I'd like that too - especially the first part of your statement...

and it'd be nice if it happened inside the venue - unfortunately it does not.

Shit, this thread has gone way over my head.

Over the weekend I was watching "Francesco's Italy: Top to Toe" for the third or fourth time :) . Francesco was in Lucca (birthplace of Puccini) with a local opera singer that stopped the crowd dead in their tracks while she sang a Puccini aria.

Fuck me, that was impressive.

I like to somehow consider myself a fan. I don't really own much in the way of recordings, have only attended a couple of performances (thanks to my mother) and don't have any true knowledge.

My mother's family on the other hand was and is still connected to it big time, so I guess the appreciation is in my blood.

I guess the appreciation is in my blood.

Now see, afaic, that's beautiful, that's the way it should be, if you feel it then grab onto it and run with it. Not just opera, but anything. Hell yeah!

And if you don't, you still need to know about it (and not just superficially), because as Larry & Chuck have both noted, the stuff is important in many ways.

But if you don't feel it, if it's not, as you say, in your blood, then I should think that that should be enough.

Don't really understand why folks can't divorce sociology from music/history OR relate the two in a constructive way.

Agree completely. I think music criticism in the 1970s played a role in this. For many of those critics, sociology was more important that musical content.

I disagree - I think musical content and sociology are necessarily related - for which reason I would go with the second half of Chuck's statement ('relate the two in a constructive way'). There's an awful lot of very banal sociology, of course, but it doesn't mean it's the wrong way to go!

I disagree - I think musical content and sociology are necessarily related - for which reason I would go with the second half of Chuck's statement ('relate the two in a constructive way'). There's an awful lot of very banal sociology, of course, but it doesn't mean it's the wrong way to go!

Of course they're related.

Of course they're related.

Sorry - I misread your initial comment. What I meant to say was that I don't think it makes sense to talk of sociology being more important than musical content, since musical content is a function of the sociology. If sociology were to be 'more important' than musical content (however we'd recognise this), it would simply show 'bad' sociology. :)

p.s. edit for poor grammar!

Edited by Red

• 8 years later...