WTB - Paul Gonsalves "Boom-Jackie-Boom-Chick" on CD

I was checking out the web and saw that Hiroshi got in some more copies of Ronnie Ross's "Cleopatra's Needle" so I finally have this CD winging itself my way. It took 4 years but I got one. :)

BTW, I'm still in the hunt for an affordable copy of Paul Gonsalves's "Boom Jackie, Boom Chick".

How much is the Hiroshi price for the 'Cleo', as a matter of interest?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the CD edition of Cleopatras Needle from a few years ago . It's a great set and the sound of the CD is fine but I think its a needle drop. That being said it's perfectly decent to listen to and only sounds like a needle drop when head phones are worn.

Interesting - maybe the master tapes are lost? That would explain why Vocalion has, to date. not reissued an obvious title like 'Cleopatra's Needle'.

I have the CD edition of Cleopatras Needle from a few years ago . It's a great set and the sound of the CD is fine but I think its a needle drop. That being said it's perfectly decent to listen to and only sounds like a needle drop when head phones are worn.

Interesting - maybe the master tapes are lost? That would explain why Vocalion has, to date. not reissued an obvious title like 'Cleopatra's Needle'.

Ok listening to the thing now UCCM 9243 , I can't now hear what I've referred to above. Sound is a little recessed but no worse than many a session , in silent sections with headphones there is some sound but I can't see why I thought this was a ND. So my apologies.

Ok listening to the thing now UCCM 9243 , I can't now hear what I've referred to above. Sound is a little recessed but no worse than many a session , in silent sections with headphones there is some sound but I can't see why I thought this was a ND. So my apologies.

Whew! You had me scared. I downloaded a couple of FLACs from this CD many years ago and I didn't hear any surface noise. I thought maybe my hearing was going. :)

• 2 years later...

For those who missed Ronnie Ross' 'Cleopatra's Needle' and Gonsalves' 'Boom-Jackie-Boom-Chick' last time (not me :)) they were re-reissued in mini-LP sleeves last year and seem to still be available:

215.jpg

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Ronnie-Ross_000000000341005/item_Cleopatra-s-Needle_2564215

214.jpg

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Paul-Gonsalves_000000000002175/item_Boom-Jackie-Boom-Chick_2564214

For those who missed Ronnie Ross' 'Cleopatra's Needle' and Gonsalves' 'Boom-Jackie-Boom-Chick' last time (not me :)) they were re-reissued in mini-LP sleeves last year and seem to still be available:

215.jpg

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Ronnie-Ross_000000000341005/item_Cleopatra-s-Needle_2564215

214.jpg

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Paul-Gonsalves_000000000002175/item_Boom-Jackie-Boom-Chick_2564214

This is good news but why doesn't CD Japan have them? I still need the Gonsalves CD but I've never used HMV. How's their service? Are they are good as CD Japan?

careful. this may be an hmv exclsive. a search of disk union shows no availability....

http://diskunion.net/jazz/ct/search?m=11&q=PAUL%20GONSALVES

I don't know. . . that UCCM-9242 number is the same as the 2007 release. . . .

that's because it's an hmv re-print. i stumbled into them last year (and snagged the mike westbrook 'love songs' title).

Effin' site keeps telling me I'm using chinese characters and should type using roman ones instead ... guess it's still no Boom Jackie Boom Chick for me then. Shit. No way I can get past the "enter billing address" page.

Don't even see how to contact anybody there, FAQ seems to be a dead end. Anyone run into this and knows a workaround? Using actual Chinese characters maybe?

Tried another browser, same story - guess Zurich has been taken over by the Chinese then.

EDIT: okay via google I finally found the contact page (ain't that hilarious, they really do their best so no one can contact them) ... now wait and see.

Anyone knows about shipping costs to Europe? None about this in the FAQ either ...

Edited by king ubu