New Blue Note 45rpm sets

Claude

After the successful 100 Fantasy 45rpm 2LP sets, Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray (Acoustech) are going to master similar 45rpm set with Blue Note albums

First batch:

Art Blakey - The Big Beat

Horace Parlan - Speakin' My Piece

Lou Donaldson - LD+3

Kenny Drew - Undercurrent

Hank Mobley - Soul Station

Horace Parlan - Us Three

http://blog.stereophile.com/cedia2007/090707bluenote/

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only 2LP 45 I have is Ut's In Gut's House on Blast First.

The only time I splurged on one was when I got a good price on the Gene Harris Trio + 1 recording, an all-time favorite.

Maybe its my turntable, but when I transferred it to CDR, it was indistinguishable from the redbook CD. :unsure::excited:

Geez Claude, why do we waste our time hanging out with these killjoys...

:rolleyes::P:o

This is freakin' incredible news!!! I have the Classic Records 45RPM version of Tina Brooks' "Back To The Tracks" and it is one of the best records I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. I'm sure these will surpass that one...Steve & Kevin are pretty much an unbeatable team in my experience.

Oh boy, oh boy...this is gonna be great!!!

post-93-1189219215.jpg

I can understand those who poke fun at these releases, because they are right. It's a joke that the best sounding editions of these albums are not released on SACD, high resolution downloads or any other state of the art format, but on vinyl LPs that need to be turned after just 10-12 minutes of music.

But that's the current state of the music and audiophile business. I would prefer to buy these transfers by the greatest mastering engineers on SACD, which sounds perfect to me, is much more convenient and cheaper. But the labels who license these tapes are not allowed to release SACDs, for whatever reasons. Maybe the rightholder labels don't want the discs to compete with their "audiophile" CD reissues (RVG, etc).

As far as the 45rpm thing is concerned, I think that regular high quality 33rpm pressings would probably sound nearly as good. There seems to be some fetishism involved in the vinyl world. In the late 70's, it was halfspeed mastering, now it's 45rpm, 200g, etc

I'm especially looking forward to these new Blue Note rleases, because unlike with Fantasy material there are few great sounding reissues so far. And once you hear the sound of these releases, you quickly forget how much you spent on them or how inconvenient 45rpm LPs are.

Edited by Claude

Claude, you're right hundred per cent, and I understand your desire to have good sounding BNs instead of that howful RVG cds, IMHO, and the outrageously expensive original pressings.

The 45rpm I had of Relaxin' With Miles Davis Quintet, sounded slightly better then both the 33rpm Analogue reissue (17$) and obviously cleaner then the original pressing (167$), though not better enough to convince me to buy all the other 99 Fantasy 45rpm at 50 $.

I admit I contracted audiophilias years ago when I had some sexual intercourse with tubed amps, but I am under therapy right now, so Dr. House forbidded to me to have more then two copy of the same record in different format. And you know how House is persuasive.

BTW Life is too short for spending it comparing the countless realeases of Kind of Blue in search of the Holy Grail of the perfect sound, like they seems to do pretty often in Steve Hoffman forum. (And the fact that Mr. Hoffman is involved in the project... <_< )

And I agree with Chuck too, I would go even further: go on and destroy the masters. Our heirs will have a treasure of original sounding stuff in a couple of generation.

Edited by porcy62

Claude, thanks for the heads up.

Even on SACD it depends on re-mastering, as I'm sure you are well aware.

I am a Hoffman/Gray fan. The reason, their vinyl reissues are great sounding.

It's too bad Hoffman/Gray did not do the Classic Records 33rpm's.

I'm sure the people that buy these will be very, very satisfied.

Hoffman knows what to with some of the severe flaws in BN master tapes.

With public domain companies taking over(and being heavily supported by many on this board), and no one else licensing

these titles/master tapes for a quality release, let them have at it!!!!

Edited by wolff

Claude, thanks for the heads up.

Even on SACD it depends on re-mastering, as I'm sure you are well aware.

I am a Hoffman/Gray fan. The reason, their vinyl reissues are great sounding.

It's too bad Hoffman/Gray did not do the Classic Records 33rpm's.

I'm sure the people that buy these will be very, very satisfied.

Hoffman knows what to with some of the severe flaws in BN master tapes.

With public domain companies taking over(and being heavily supported by many on this board), and no one else licensing

these titles/master tapes for a quality release, let them have at it!!!!

If I remember well you praised a lot Classic's reissues, and they got licenses for a lot of heavy hitters, from Rock to BN. Though I agree that Hoffman/Grey are among the best in the job and I agree with you I wish they did the Classic, some the new titles were already available as Classic 33rpm reissues. There are a lot of great music that lies forgotten in the vault and they came out with the 5th, or 50th, reissue of Mobley's Soul Station.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_det...?Title_ID=14370

and

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_det...m?Title_ID=1299

and

http://www.bluenote.com/detail.asp?SelectionID=9429

I found frankly disturbing that in this business they are always pushing for buying the "ultimatesupermegatruelifeextramagictubey" sound at big bucks and at the same time they are complaining about dowloading and public domain. They are exploiting the latest paying niche of the market, true music lovers and "audiophiles", (you can be both at the same times, whatever Chuck can say). Plain and simple. Cuscuna's job for Mosaic is of another level.

Edited by porcy62

Steve's response:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=125734

A note from STEVE HOFFMAN:

Hi everyone; exciting news if you love legendary jazz!

This thread from last week mentioned a new BLUE NOTE reissue vinyl series:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...ht=blue+n ote

A blurb from that thread:

“…Joe Harley then handed me a gorgeous, double gate-fold LP of the Horace Parlan Quintet's Speakin' My Piece. The first release in Music Matters' new definitive Blue Note reissue series. They'll be mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman at AcousTech Mastering, which will produce the metal parts. Because the recent Acoustic Sounds 45RPM Prestige/Riverside discs sounded so luscious, Music Matters decided to release the Blue Note series as double disc 45 RPM limited editions sets.”

------------------------------------------------

I am now authorized to give you some more information:

For me, the greatest Jazz LP label of all-time is BLUE NOTE. Music Matters, Ltd. is a new record label formed primarily to reissue these definitive vintage BLUE NOTE albums with the best possible quality.

http://www.musicmattersjazz.com/

This new numbered limited edition series will cause quite a stir in the jazz world as well as the audiophile and record collecting communities, that’s for sure. The movers and shakers behind the MUSIC MATTERS label are record dealer RON RAMBACH, JOE HARLEY, vice-president of AudioQuest and the legendary MICHAEL CUSCUNA as special consultant. These three BLUE NOTE experts are considered the greatest authorities on the label and have come together to insure that this is the most exciting jazz reissue series ever attempted. Folks, this has been very long in the making. (For example, I was first approached by Joe Harley to master the BLUE NOTE catalog YEARS ago). Just this year it finally came into being, thanks to the good folks at CAPITOL/EMI.

The albums are being cut at 45 RPM for maximum quality by Kevin Gray and I. The original Rudy Van Gelder engineered stereophonic session tapes are used when we master these gems. The sound quality is amazing on our test cuts. Like from heaven. First totally uncompressed versions of these jazz classics that I’ve ever heard and trust me, you will be impressed; they sound like no other releases of this music. The sound is lifelike, the horns are in the room with you. Our non-invasive mastering insures the true breath of life on these original session tapes is transferred to the virgin vinyl with absolute authenticity. It is like hearing these BLUE NOTE masterpieces for the first time and that is NO exaggeration. When we heard the first acetate playback from our first mastering session I thought Joe Harley was going to pee in his pants he was so excited. Actually we all were; after 50 years of lackluster and downright bad sounding versions of these albums, hearing the real deal is a humbling experience, even for us hardened music veterans. You will be able to listen to the music exactly like we did when these are ready for sale in a few months.

A word about the artwork and jackets. MUSIC MATTERS have really spared no expense in the creation of the album covers. All laminated thick gate-folds, (custom paper, etc.) just like the originals. Better, actually. Even the hi def original session photos are from the absolute original camera negatives. The old BLUE NOTE covers had around 150 dots per inch on their album photos. These are all redone from scratch at 450 dots per inch or more; its astounding! Best quality you'll ever see.

I feel there is great merit to the project. At least 63 albums so far are going to be re-released in this high quality fashion. Kevin and I will master all of them at AcousTech Mastering at Record Tech, Inc.

http://www.musicmattersjazz.com/

First release is coming soon. Stay tuned!!

Curious as to why they didn't do these in mono. Most BN stuff is better in mono.

That's debatable. Plus most (not all) of BN mono is simple stereo fold downs.

You're right, but the fold down process improves the mixes considerably. I'm convinced RVG set his levels for an optimum mono balance.

Have you worked with Rudy?