New Blue Note 45rpm sets

Claude

About those tape boxes... The handwritten listings of the contents seem to indicate that the tapes have complete LP sides in album order, and since the tunes were recorded in another sequence at the session, it would appear to someone who indeed don't know anything about this - like me - that the tapes are edited in some way.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About those tape boxes... The handwritten listings of the contents seem to indicate that the tapes have complete LP sides in album order, and since the tunes were recorded in another sequence at the session, it would appear to someone who indeed don't know anything about this - like me - that the tapes are edited in some way.

The master tapes are cut (physically, with a razor blade) and the tunes are spliced into lp sequence.

Heh. Speaking of using the "original master tapes," someone over at the Hoffman forums was creamin' his BVDs over the idea that the "original session tapes" would be used for this 45 series. I posted that I didn't think that that in itself was that big an issue since the current CD reissues (the RVG series at least) were mastered from those same tapes. And sure enough, my (rather innocent imo) post was deleted.

Of course. Info like that minimizes the NEW, AMAZING, EXTRA-SPECIAL nature of the project.

Here's a link to a Hoffman member's concern about a 45RPM copy of a Cannonball Adderly album that has some really bad flutter on it. I've been watching this one for a while and Steve has yet to say anything.

That Hoffman member is the same dude who started this thread :)

Steve has replied in the meantime, but it's not clear to me from his answer if the flutter defect concerns all the copies.

Here's a link to a Hoffman member's concern about a 45RPM copy of a Cannonball Adderly album that has some really bad flutter on it. I've been watching this one for a while and Steve has yet to say anything.

That Hoffman member is the same dude who started this thread :)

Steve has replied in the meantime, but it's not clear to me from his answer if the flutter defect concerns all the copies.

FWIW, my OJC vinyl does not have the defect, neither does my ZYX OJC20 CD

• 3 weeks later...

He hasn't been very forth coming about it, has he? He was quick to denounce another person's use of a worn out tape for the Chet album.

I think he responded to Claude and said something about a possible vinyl quirk and advised him to contact Acoustic Sounds. Don't know what (if anything?) became of that.

At this point, I'd like to pick up a half dozen or so of these LP sets -- 'Speakin My Piece, Leapin' n Lopin', 'Cape Verdean Blues, 'Here to Stay,' 'Dexter Calling' ...a couple others.

• 3 weeks later...

interesting, thanks for posting the links. Listening to the Monk snippet, it clearly has more bass than the OJC CD (comparing to the box set). The lower and mid-treble (3-9 kHz) are lowered and the high-treble (10+ kHz) is boosted compared to the OJC. The effect is that the piano and the tenor (and the bass of course) have more bottom to sit on and that's nice. Compared to the OJC the sound is smooth but muffled. Not only is the tenor less loud, but its acid is drowned in bass and lack of midrange; at times it sounds like it hits a cushion somewhere mid-air. So whereas the OJC can sound a bit restless, the sample posted has too much bass to the point of being boomy (which may of course be ascribed to the LP to wav recording) and at times the tenor and piano can sound very awkward, like around 0:45 into the sample where the piano sounds like it has been drinking. If you have it available, compare it to the OJC (~1:45).

The Rollins I can only compare to the Freelance box, which has K2 masters AFAIK. I have always found these a tad too loud and jittery and they can be rather fatiguing on these headphone ears. The snippet posted is much better in that respect. Nice and smooth, a bit lower on the bass and the treble (<10kHz). The CD version has the left channel (tenor) boosted, which actually introduces some low volume hiss which makes for an awkward headphone listen. The snippet is much better in this respect.

• 2 months later...

It was mentioned on the Hoffman forum that the "first run" of the first two titles (Blakey's Big Beat and a Horace Parlan) have sold out already. That's 1000 copies so far of a potentially 2500 copy edition. Haven't heard these yet, but I gotta say they sold much quicker than i expected them to.

I've got the first two releases...and they sound fantastic. Definitely better than their CD counterparts. Have not heard the original vinyl releases (or earlier reissues) of these albums, so I can't make that comparison.

Also, I will state that these are without question the best looking vinyl reissues I've ever seen. The presentation is phenomenal... There's been a lot of love put into these things, that's for sure.

I know they're expensive...I know. But, if you can swing it, don't let this series pass you by. At the bare minimum, I think everyone here who has a love for Blue Note and even a passing interest in vinyl should pick up 2 or 3 of their absolute favorite albums when they are reissued.

These things are really that good...

I'd own the both of them if they were 33 1/3 rpm LPs. I am not getting into this 45 rpm fetish. And I still don't agree that cutting them at 45 rpm makes them sound any better. It just adds cost and makes them more expensive.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

I'd own the both of them if they were 33 1/3 rpm LPs. I am not getting into this 45 rpm fetish. And I still don't agree that cutting them at 45 rpm makes them sound any better. It just adds cost and makes them more expensive.

Agreed. I'm not interested in having to get up after every song or two for just a little bit better sound. However, when they reissue Basra, I will make the exception. What blows my mind is that there are people on the Hoffman board buying these and they don't listen to jazz. Of course they might change their mind after hearing them, but damn, $50.00 a pop and you don't know anything about the music? :wacko:

...What blows my mind is that there are people on the Hoffman board buying these and they don't listen to jazz...

What blows me away even more than that, if you read that thread, is that there is market for $50 audiophile pressings of ZZ Top albums. Why not just go to the Goodwill?

You said so because you never heard how good Kenny G's sax mastered at 45rpm sounds...

...even better if you listen to Kenny G's 33rpm at 45rpm :g

Edited by porcy62

...What blows my mind is that there are people on the Hoffman board buying these and they don't listen to jazz...

What blows me away even more than that, if you read that thread, is that there is market for $50 audiophile pressings of ZZ Top albums. Why not just go to the Goodwill?

:lol: :lol: