DAKAR

Bright Moments

downtown Dakar:

Downtown%20Dakar2.jpg

Anybody been there?

Guy

Yes. A popular transit point for other West African destinations, especially in the heydey of Air Afrique. I often used it as a long stopover on the way to/from Mali, Burkina, Niger, Cote d'Ivoire or any number of other spots. Certainly an easier place to visit; so mainly, for me it was a chance to decompress.

downtown Dakar:

Downtown%20Dakar2.jpg

Anybody been there?

Guy

Several times - I :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub: Senegal. And Dakar is like New York, only fast! and civilised.

MG

I'll have to get there some day, I'm sure it's fantastic.

Some of my brother's friends were in Senegal (not sure if it was Dakar or elsewhere) for the Peace Corps and were foolish enough (after being forewarned) to speak Hebrew at a bar. They got beaten up really badly by some thugs, but I'm guessing it was for money (yay, foreigners!) rather than anti-Semitic reasons. I'm guessing few people in Senegal would even recognize the language.

Guy

downtown Dakar:

Downtown%20Dakar2.jpg

Anybody been there?

Guy

Several times - I :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub: Senegal. And Dakar is like New York, only fast! and civilised.

MG

I'll have to get there some day, I'm sure it's fantastic.

Some of my brother's friends were in Senegal (not sure if it was Dakar or elsewhere) for the Peace Corps and were foolish enough (after being forewarned) to speak Hebrew at a bar. They got beaten up really badly by some thugs, but I'm guessing it was for money (yay, foreigners!) rather than anti-Semitic reasons. I'm guessing few people in Senegal would even recognize the language.

Guy

That is VERY untypical behaviour for Senegambia. It is the least violent society I've ever come across. The crooks will con you, or pick your pockets, if they can, but beating someone up is not the game at all.

Lots of the people I met there knew I was Jewish - didn't make any difference. Islam seems to be taken very spiritually there, not politically, is my impression.

Of course, there are exceptions everywhere.

MG

• 10 months later...

Where did the Watkins/Amram/Shihab session go?

Curtis Fuller (tb) Dave Amram, Julius Watkins (frh) Sahib Shihab (as) Hampton Hawes (p -1/3,5,6) Teddy Charles (p -4) Addison Farmer (b) Jerry Segal (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, NJ, May 18, 1957 - Status ST 8305

1. 1276 Ronnie's Tune

2. 1277 Roc And Troll

3. 1278 A-Drift

4. 1279 Lyriste

5. 1280 Five Spot

6. 1281 No Crooks

The "Status" label? Never heard of it. Didn't even know that Prestige had a (short-lived?) series of 16 rpm releases.

According to Chuck's note above (which no one responded to), I guess this is the right cover:

o1006531.jpg

Laton your hotlink didn't work , so here is the cover :

16rpm.jpg

Where did the Watkins/Amram/Shihab session go?

The 33 1/3 version came out under this cover :

41GVTB7R0QL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I like this one quite a bit . The writing is interesting ( three Teddy Charles tunes ) , the solos by Hawes and Shihab in particular , are fine , and the sound quality is excellent . The OJC CD has tracks 4 & 5 reversed however .

Edit to fix dead image link .

Edited by Chas

This session has a very dark feel to it. Another in a fine line of "Prestige All-Star" jams, and yet it has a personality all its own. This is no doubt due to the presence of Pepper Adams and Cecil Payne, and Trane just blends right in with them. A lotta low end, but it contributes to the mood.

I like this one quite a bit . The writing is interesting ( three Teddy Charles tunes ) , the solos by Hawes and Shihab in particular , are fine , and the sound quality is excellent . The OJC CD has tracks 4 & 5 reversed however .

i think i like this one better than dakar, shihab is great on it, and it's very dark, too...

One of the may good things about this board is the way it stimulates me to play something that's been sitting on my shelves for far to long without a play. Dakar is one of those. An interesting instumentation and lineup and a good listen but to nothing extraordinary. Just another fairly casual Prestige date.

The Fuller with Hampton Hawes and Two French Horns I think is much better, a lot more going on but I imagine it was just as casual though maybe because of the instrumentation they ran through the heads a couple of times.

Both Teddy Charles productions.

Anyone out there own a 16 rpm Prestige original?

I had a couple of Prestige 16 rpm records at one time, but not this one. Don't have any 16 rpm records any longer.

16 2/3 rpm records were mostly used for spoken word recordings , from which I infer that their sound quality was inferior to 33 1/3 rpm . What I'm wondering , is whether the half-dozen Prestige 16 2/3 rpms utilized half-speed mastering at 8 1/3 rpm to bring the sound quality up to that of their regular issues ? Prestige's 16 2/3 rpms iirc , were priced higher than their 33 1/3 issues , but was it sound quality that kept the buyers away and made this a short-lived experiment ? Were there any other jazz recordings issued on 16 2/3 rpm discs ?

I suppose that one advantage of 16 2/3 recording , was that the players could be an aid to musicians wanting to transcribe and learn solos from 33 1/3 rpm discs ( in addition to slowing everything down , playing a 33 1/3 LP at 16 2/3 would however also lower everything by an octave ) .