Dave Valentin

Bright Moments

can i really like dave valentin's cd's without being branded a "smoothie"?!!!

:o

Which ones are you talking about?

I don't really know Valentin's leader work except for the first few GRP efforts, and found them highly snoozable affairs.

But...

I've since heard him play on other people's dates (Monday Michiru, several Louie Vega productions, & some straight-up salsa dates), and the guy's bringing some pretty good stuff actually. So I gotta think that this is yet another example of somebody who can really play making records for the marketplace that don't show even a hint of that. BAd move, unnecessary move, I think, but you know how they do...

Maybe some of the later leader sides do show the true skills, but I got so bummed from the earliest GRP stuff that I've not really cared to find out.

Dave Valentine was with one of the best salsa bands out of NYC, Manny Oquendo and Libre. He was on a couple of their early sides. I got them on vinyl and don't know if they are out on cd. One that I have on vinyl that is on cd is with a another "salsa" group called Son Primero. They were a NYC charanga band (percussion with violins and a flute) around in the 80's. Valentin sounded good on that. Some charanga tradionalists maintain that the flute have a wooden body. I think its stupid. One of the greatest charanga flute players was Richard Egues of Orch. Aragon. He played a metal body as does Dave on this. I doubt if Libre or Son Primero will ever be considered "smooth".

Guest Bill Barton

can i really like dave valentin's cd's without being branded a "smoothie"?!!!
Do you have any bananas in you?

:mellow:

A few blackberries, a kiwi or two and you're in business...

Valentin's recordings bore the heck out of me but I have to agree that in performance is sometimes a different story. Years ago in Montreal i heard him in an all-star tribute to Cal Tjader with Eddie Palmieri, Dave Samuels and a passel of percussionists. It was cookin' - a great couple of sets. I'd say, see him live and skip the CDs.