Scratches

Bright Moments

Ok - this is probably a dumb question.

You buy a new cd and open the jewel case. it is pristine.

you gently remove it and lovingly place it into your cd player.

when over you carefully remove it and replace it noting that it is still PRISTINE!!!

one day you look at it ant it has scratches!

where did they come from?

how does a "cared for" cd get scratches?!!!

:blink:

A DJ and record collector I met (he had tenths and tenths of thousands of LP records in his home) claimed that the best jazz record he had ever heard was some Dudley Moore album.

Stupid DJ.

There are damn few intelligent ones. When my wife and I got married, we had a dj (her choice) and a jazz trio (my choice) at the reception. I asked the trio - good musicians, including one very good friend - to play for over half of the afternoon. My wife informed me later that the dj told her that I was ruining his reputation by keeping him on the sidelines. <_<

Perhaps - and this is just a guess - when the cd is place in the case it is rubbing against something on the tray.

Or yes, it could be the player. You don't play them in the car, do you?

i do play them in the car sometimes.

i am considering downloading every cd i own into a massive harddrive, cataloging them and then burning them on an as needed basis. i am concerned though that i will lose fidelity.

of course i will store the original cd's in case of harddrive failure.

is this insane?

:crazy:

i do play them in the car sometimes.

This is likely to occasionally cause scratches. When the disc is loaded, the surface of the disc is in contact with the loading mechanism.

i am considering downloading every cd i own into a massive harddrive, cataloging them and then burning them on an as needed basis. i am concerned though that i will lose fidelity.

If done right (reliable software for extractning, high quality CDRs etc.) you will not hear any difference. A decent alternative could be a HTPC with a good external D/A converter (for best possible sound). That way you could play back anything you want directly from the hard drive.

of course i will store the original cd's in case of harddrive failure.

is this insane?

No, it sounds reasonable enough.

I apologize for the totally humour-free answer.