Scratches

Bright Moments

Ever heard his soundtrack to "Bedazzled?" One of the very best soundtracks of the 1960s. "The Millionaire" and "Lillian Lust," for starters, are very solid compositions with interesting arrangements and nice playing. A lot of working jazz artists would be lucky to make an album as cool as this.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Dudley Moore was a fine pianist, but his jazz playing was unfortunately in that Pete Barbuti/Oscar Peterson realm of, hammer a lot of 'blue' notes and play a lot of scale patterns real fast, and than you has jazz -

How dare you slur my favorite piano, vibraphone, cornbroom and penis player: Pete Barbuti.

Barbuti is the only musician I have ever heard play "Tenderly" on the cornbroom, and he improvised too.

And he could play "Holiday for Strings" with his nose and his "p".

A fabulous musician.

Now you answer this: Why is the sky blue?

i do play them in the car sometimes.

This is likely to occasionally cause scratches. When the disc is loaded, the surface of the disc is in contact with the loading mechanism.

i am considering downloading every cd i own into a massive harddrive, cataloging them and then burning them on an as needed basis. i am concerned though that i will lose fidelity.

If done right (reliable software for extractning, high quality CDRs etc.) you will not hear any difference. A decent alternative could be a HTPC with a good external D/A converter (for best possible sound). That way you could play back anything you want directly from the hard drive.

of course i will store the original cd's in case of harddrive failure.

is this insane?

No, it sounds reasonable enough.

I apologize for the totally humour-free answer.

thanks!!!

:tup:)

• 2 weeks later...

i am considering downloading every cd i own into a massive harddrive, cataloging them and then burning them on an as needed basis. i am concerned though that i will lose fidelity.

of course i will store the original cd's in case of harddrive failure.

:crazy:

This is the way to go IMO. Rip the CD's to a hard drive (or two) in FLAC format using good ripping software (like EAC), tag them as you go using a good tagging program (like MP3 Tag), and get a playback device with a decent user interface (like a Squeezebox). If you go the extra step and buy an external DAC for around $1500-$2000, you will have a higher fidelity, more reliable digital front end than CD players costing $5K or more. Back the files up periodically to a second hard drive, put the CD booklets in Case Logic CD wallets on the shelf, and put the CD's with their cases in the storage closet.

That's what I did, and the better sound, freed up space in my apartment, and not having to hunt around on the shelves for a particular CD is fantastic.

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps - and this is just a guess - when the cd is place in the case it is rubbing against something on the tray.

Or yes, it could be the player. You don't play them in the car, do you?

I've wondered about this myself for a while. I bought a cd player for the car three or four years ago when my tape deck died after ten good years of service. I hesitated at first because I was happy with my tapes, since I was using good tape with a good recorder. I probably should not take any of my hard to find or expensive discs on the road, or as others have recomended, burning it to a cdr if you really want to drive around and listen to it.

If someone is buying a new car stereo today, I'd recommend a player which can play back MP3 discs (ideally DVD-Rs) and/or has an USB jack. Nothing beats bringing the contents of a Mosaic box (or several) on a single, inexpensive disc!

Edited by Daniel A

I agree. When I bought the cd player I could have paid a few extra dollars for mp3 compatability but I said no, thinking I'd never care to play mp3 discs. Long trips in particular would be good use of mp3s especially since I have a single disc player and it's a pain, not to mention dangerious to change discs while driving. I have a 1960 Vauxhall Victor that only has a funky radio in it and I'm thinking of putting a sound system in it. I'd really like to put a cassette deck in it though, since it's not the most secure car in the world and I have a lot of tapes that don't get played much anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

I someone is buying a new car stereo today, I'd recommend a player which can play back MP3 discs (ideally DVD-Rs) and/or has an USB jack. Nothing beats bringing the contents of a Mosaic box (or several) on a single, inexpensive disc!

Definitely, just plug your Mp3 player and drive.