David Weiss.....and the Cookers

sheldonm

Here are some photos of Org. member/trumpeter David Weiss and the Cookers from the recent Chicago Jazz Fest. Killer show...one of the highlights of the festival.

Band included:

Trumpet: David Weiss & Eddie Henderson

Alto: Jimmy Spaulding

Tenor: Billy Harper

Bass: Cecil McBee

Piano: Stanley Cowell

Drums: Gene Jackson

m~

post-24-1190245957.jpg

My god, what a line-up!! Would have given my right arm to have heard this.

Damn near half the people I like the very most from the 70's were in this band.

I believe at one point, Jeremy Pelt and George Cables were suppose to play and didn't for one reason or another.

I would agree, this was a smokin' show....what a blast!

m~

Mark,

Thanks so much for the pictures and everyone else thanks for the kind words.

To answer a some of the questions....

Jeremy Pelt was never on this gig it was always Eddie Henderson. I also saw Jeremy's name with Bobby Watson so I guess they assumed he was going to be there with somebody.

George Cables was supposed to be on the gig as he is in the band but he can't travel right now for health reasons. He should be fine soon though and hopefully on the road with us in 2008.

I thought Stanley was a great replacement though, it was great having him on the gig with us.

My impressions of the gig? Well, it's hard to gage these things sometimes especially on outdoor concerts where the audience is not that close to the stage and you can't really feel their reaction as much as you'd like. Also with outdoor things you can't really tell what the sound is like out there and can't adjust accordingly, you just have to trust that is good. The sound on stage was good though and I just love playing with that band (who wouldn't). Those guys have so much spirit and energy and I just hope some of it rubs off on me. From my perspective I thought it was a great gig. One thing though, we never played a set that short before so programming was a little difficult as was cutting our last tune short to finish in the allotted 55 minutes. It's a bit of a shame as those guys just keep building up steam as the show progresses and we thought the ending was a bit abrupt (especially for guys who come all the way from Portland to hear us among all the other great things). I think it's a great festival though and everyone associated with it was wonderful and Chicago a great jazz town. I went to the Velvet Lounge the night I got there and the Green Mill after the gig and found both places to be great and thriving.

As for the Cookers, I think my motivation for that band is two-fold. First, I don't think you guys get to see Billy Harper, James Spaulding, George Cables and Cecil McBee out there enough, especially playing together and playing their own music. These guys are amazing musicians who should be out there a lot more than they are now. Second, I'm just hoping some of their spirit and greatness rubs off on me a little and the more I get to play with them, the better chance there is of this happening. Hopefully this band is building up some momentum and we'll be at a town near you in the near future.

Guys, there is no Cookers gig at the Jazz Bakery. There were talks but the band is just too large to be able to work something out to play there. There is a chance some of us will come under the leadership of one of the guys in the band, a quintet probably, that same week and we are working on that now. I'll keep you posted.....

Bertrand, the Cookers repertoire consists of

Capra Black, Priestess, Quest and Dance, Eternal Spirits Dance by Billy Harper

Peacemaker and Ladybugg by Cecil McBee

Sweet Rita Suite (Part 2) and Think on Me by George Cables

Kryptonite by James Spaulding

The Core by Freddie Hubbard

I also wrote an arrangement of God Bless the Child as a feature for Spaulding

I think that's everything.

Edited by david weiss

Guys, there is no Cookers gig at the Jazz Bakery. There were talks but the band is just too large to be able to work something out to play there. There is a chance some of us will come under the leadership of one of the guys in the band, a quintet probably, that same week and we are working on that now. I'll keep you posted.....

i'm getting ready to be disappointed!! they're advertising the cookers but i hope at least some of you will be here!!

Thanks for that list, David.

I was trying to identify some of that stuff from the Healdsburg show.

• 4 weeks later...

So some of us will be at the Jazz Bakery this week. Wednesday- Saturday October 17-20.

The James Spaulding Quintet

James Spaulding- Alto Sax, David Weiss- Trumpet, Danny Grissett- Piano, Cecil McBee- Bass and Roy McCurdy- Drums.

Hope you can make it.

Edited by david weiss