Dave Brubeck

montg

I was listening to 'Time Out' last night. One of the first jazz CDs I owned, so it's hard to hear it with fresh ears sometimes--but it's still enjoyable after many years. I have the Carnegie Hall live date from the Brubeck group, which I don't like as well (Brubeck seems too get stuck in those repetitive figures a little to often for me). I'm wondering if any dates, beyond 'Time Out' stand out as favorites and come recommended. Thanks

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brubeck has so many albums that any list will be subjective to some extent. I have not heard all of his albums by a long shot, but here are some that I have really liked.

Brubeck Plays Brubeck (solo piano--a real eye opener for me as to what Dave is capable of)

Jazz at Oberlin

Jazz Goes to College

Jazz at the College of the Pacific

Park Avenue South: Live at Starbucks (despite the Starbucks connection, this is my favorite of the several albums I have heard by his recent quartets)

Brubeck and Rushing

Brubeck and Desmond: The Duets (1975)

Another vote for "All Together Again For The First Time"--Brubeck, Desmond, Mulligan, Jack Six on bass, and the great Alan Dawson in the drum chair, a worthy successor to Morello. I wore that sucker out when I was in high school.

Also "All the Things We Are" from 1973 or '74--Brubeck, Jack Six, Roy Haynes & Lee Konitz on "Like Someone in Love"; Anthony Braxton replacing Konitz on "In Your Own Sweet Way"; both Konitz and Braxton on "All The Things You Are"; and then a trio of Brubeck, Six and Alan Dawson playing a medley of Jimmy Van Heusen tunes (originally side 2 of the LP).

And of course those early-50's college albums, before the arrival of Gene Wright and Joe Morello. Some of my favorite Desmond, when he had a lot of youthful heat that later melted into his more wistful lyricism.