Soul Stream

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two clues to answer your question:

1) Read post #1 and see who is going through the tapes

2) How good are you at anagrams?

John Patton told me Queen was holding off on CDs. Glad he finally changed his mind.

Bertrand.

I dare say Alvin went through the tapes of his and Jr Mance's sessions for their M&I release. Who else could do that? M&I would have been interested because they'd just signed Mance. I shouldn't be surprised if some company like Explore weren't interested enough in Patton to try persuading Alvin to license the session. It doesn't necessarily follow that he'd reactivate Nilva and try to market through CD Baby, or whatever. Nothing necessarily follows. That's why I asked.

MG

MG,

Looking back at my post, I come off as mean-spirited, arrogant and sarcastic. I really apologize for that - that was not my intention at all, I was just being goofy.

Normally, I would delete such a stupid post, but I'm going to leave it there as a cringe-inducing reminder to myself that I need to think twice before hitting that 'add reply' button.

And, of course, you are right, Alvin may have authorized the reissue without being involved himself. I had interpreted what Patton said to me as meaning that Alvin would never authorize a CD reissue of the Nilva dates, but now I realize he probably just meant that he himself would not go to the trouble.

Again, please accept my deepest apologies.

Bertrand.

MG,

Looking back at my post, I come off as mean-spirited, arrogant and sarcastic. I really apologize for that - that was not my intention at all, I was just being goofy.

Normally, I would delete such a stupid post, but I'm going to leave it there as a cringe-inducing reminder to myself that I need to think twice before hitting that 'add reply' button.

And, of course, you are right, Alvin may have authorized the reissue without being involved himself. I had interpreted what Patton said to me as meaning that Alvin would never authorize a CD reissue of the Nilva dates, but now I realize he probably just meant that he himself would not go to the trouble.

Again, please accept my deepest apologies.

Bertrand.

;) It's OK, thanks.

And I think this could go either way. I'm not in the business because I would find it hard to decide whether I'd do better marketing through CD Baby or licensing to some interested company. I would LIKE there to be enough prospective business for a "commercial" issue. But I've got to say that lots of prospective buyers who never heard the LP, seeing Grachan's name on the sleeve, might be turned off.

MG

you guys are freakin out about this--- i am too, its BJP! but wahts up w/ this for those of us who only know his BN stuff? its w/ GMIII and from the 80s? is it mixed GIII songs and Big john songs? or whats up w/ it? who else is on it? 80s ben dixon?

Big John Patton Organ

Grant Reed Sax (Tenor)

Grachan Moncur III Trombone

Melvin Sparks Guitar

Alvin Queen Drums

6-7-83, White Plains, NY

Nilva NQ3406

Side One

Soul Connection (Dusko Goykovich)

Pinto (John Patton)

Extensions (John Patton)

Side Two

Space Station (Grachan Moncur III)

The Coaster (Grachan Moncur III)

======================================

This side swings like a mofo, and does it from jump. Anybody who "fears" Moncur on this one is either hopelessy paranoid or else totally unaware that the guy has always had skills/chops/whatever besides the "avant-garde" (he did stints w/both the Jazztet and Ray Charles, remember...). He's a very succinct, to the point "blues-based" player & composer, and his work on both counts here is totally "in context", and actually, if he doesn't exactly "elevate" the session (everybody's doing fine already, thank you very much), then he very much keeps it on the high plane that it already is on.

Once we get this one out on CD, can we get the Shirley Scott Strata-East next, somehow, somewhere? That's another "hidden gem" yet to see the (refracted) light of CD.

Once we get this one out on CD, can we get the Shirley Scott Strata-East next, somehow, somewhere? That's another "hidden gem" yet to see the (refracted) light of CD.

Now that's one I have yet to hear.

:excited:

Me too - I passed on a second hand copy many years ago in favour of her "Oasis" (Muse) with Houston Person & Charles Davis, which was in the shop as well - couldn't afford both.

Harold Vick is on the Strata East.

Some days, the decisions are just too hard, aren't they? ;)

MG

• 1 month later...

Great news. It took me about six months of waiting on eBay to secure a vinyl copy at a reasonable price, but I'll probably still get the CD anyway. It's an incredibly swinging date, very reminiscent of Moncur's recordings with the Farmer/Golson Jazztet, minus the trumpet, but plus Melvin Sparks' guitar. Moncur's "Space Station" and "The Coaster" sound incredibly lightweight. Good stuff.

• 1 month later...