Max Harrison's A JAZZ RETROSPECT

Just came across this thread - not sure how the hell it got from Max Harrison to attacks with dildos but there you go.. :blink:

A similar but earlier book - 'Modern Jazz - 1945-70 The Essential Records' (a silver paperback) was the better one I think - compiled by Max Harrison/Alun Morgan/Ronald Atkins/Michael James/Jack Cooke back in 1975 (still recall the vast sum of £2.90 I paid for it - big money back then). A very succinct selection of 200 titles - I've used this list over the years as the basis of building up a collection and I can't recall it ever leading to a single dud choice. Very fine book. The later title (by Harrison, Thacker, Nicholson) had more recent material added in (mainly by Stuart Nicholson) and although it's much bigger, covering a larger stylistic range, I've found some of the choices (Wynton 'Live at Blues Alley' etc.) less than convincing. Still, a good volume to delve into on occasion.

That one is a gem, as I may have eaid earlier in this thread. Max at his best, plus brilliant contributions from Cooke and James, and very good work from Atkins and Morgan. Unfortunately, my copy walked away from me several years ago, damnit.

I remember at the time it came out that the 'Modern Jazz 1945-70..' book could be quite frustrating as the LP issue numbers given were very difficult to track copies of. Either rare Blue Notes, deleted original UK issues or real obscurities on labels like Dooto, Jaro and Hi-Fi Jazz which were pretty well nigh-on impossible to get hold of in any shape or form in the record shops back in 1975. It was many, many years before I got to hear some of these recommendations.

Yep, the groundwork of this book must have been in the work these authors put in during the 60s-early 70s in 'Jazz Monthly'. Some incredible, scholarly essays in that publication !

Edited by sidewinder

Yep, the groundwork of this book must have been in the work these authors put in during the 60s-early 70s in 'Jazz Monthly'. Some incredible, scholarly essays in that publication !

My (and Chuck Nessa's) friend Terry Martin wrote never surpassed (IMO) essays about Art Pepper, Coleman Hawkins, Ornette Coleman, and others (plus topnotch reviews) for Jazz Monthly in the early 1960s.