jail for 172mph porsche driver

I'm sure I never drove a car that could even go this fast. Once went over 100, but that was driving throught the Nevada desert so does it even count?

as you get older and the reflexes slow, the stuff in the road goes by so fast it's very scary.

i was so stupid to risk the lives of innocent people.

no more, never, ever, never.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I've gotten up to 150--kph, that is, or a bit over 90 mph. That was a few years ago before they installed radar-cameras all over the road system in France--if you speed past one it takes a picture of your car and they send you the ticket in the mail. Before that, people regularly drove 140-150 kph in the fast lane (speed limit 130 kph). Now mostly everybody is very careful to stay within the speed limit.

100 on Rt 1, between Newark airport (NJ) and the Polaski Skyway. Dec. 24, 2001. There was no one else on the road.

And that's pretty much it. I got a speeding ticket down the street in Linden in April and had to get a lawyer to get rid of the points. Somewhat expensive.

More interested in fast women these days...

Yeah, and you all have 10 inches hanging between your legs as well! ^_^

I did 100 in my 69 Impala convertible once, top up....sounded like the world was going to end soon. Plus, it takes so long to slow down. I didn't want to kill someone, or myself. Plus, would have DIED if Ihadn lost my license, and couldn't drive for 6 months or a year.

I liked the stoplight to stoplight kind of speed. My beat up Impala with the small V-8(350) was still faster than 90% of the cars on the road in the early 80's. Hopefully, a few kids traded in their supposed muscle car for some vintage iron after I got through embarrassing them. Seriously, it was quiet, and looked like it wouldn't be able to move without someone pushing it. Nowadays, tiny Toyotas would blow it's doors off.

When I was 18 and home from college for the summer, I asked my father if I could take my girlfriend for a ride in his 911 turbo, since she had never been in a Porsche before. He agreed, after he made me promise to not speed, a promise which I quickly forgot about once I got behind the wheel.

We drove around for 20 minutes or so, going as fast as 135 near my home (the speed limit was 35). When I got home, both of my parents were standing at the door, waiting for me. They did not look pleased.

Father: "Did a little speeding, did you?", my father asked.

Me: "What? No..."

Mother: "That's funny, because you passed me while I was picking up your brother from basketball practice."

Me: "Oops." :huh:

At 135 (the speed at which I'm sure I passed her, based on where she was and her (really low) estimate (85) of my speed), you're just trying hard to go straight and not hit anything, and in doing so, I didn't even realize I had passed her.

That was the last time I was allowed to drive the 911 turbo.

For whatever reason, I've mostly gotten speeding out of my system, and I'm glad I have. Now, the only speeding I do is when I go home and drive one of my father's cars, and he's usually in the car with me and doesn't mind if it's just for a little while. We've had some fun with this, since he's had a lot of fast cars over the years in addition to the 911 turbo:

Porsche 944 turbo (three of them)

Supercharged Saleen Mustang

BMW M3 (had the SMG transmission (clutchless manual gearbox), very hard to get used to)

He let me drive his new Mercedes S600 when I visited him in July, and that was pretty entertaining. It has a twin-turbo V12 engine that puts out almost 500 horsepower. It's not really a sportscar, but it's very fast, extremely smooth and surprisingly quiet. Not very practical, though. It averages about 17 mpg.

Back in the early '70s when there were no speed limits on highways I drove my Alfa Romeo 1300GTV coupé at 100-110 mph a number of times and was often outpaced by BMWs and Mercedes.

When I later acquired the Alfa Romeo 2000GTV coupé, there were speed limits on French highways but not on German highways. When traveling in French Alsace shortly after I got it, I decided to check it really could go up to its 130mph limit. It did! And very few BMWs went past the Alfa!

Those Alfa GTVs (GTV stands for Gran Turismo Veloce, a fitting name!) were amazing cars. I was sorry to give up on them when our son was born!

My driving habits have slowed down with age (and with the rise of the speed limits). I stick to enjoying the formula 1 Grand Prix on TV these days.

...The fastest convicted speeder in Britain was Daniel Nicks, a motorcyclist who filmed himself travelling at 175mph on a Honda Fireblade in 2000. He was jailed for six weeks and banned for two years.

Holy shit! I did 90 on a bike, got so scared that I thought about jumping off...never again.