Paul Desmond

six string

Several years ago I acquired a nice collection of jazz records from a friend. Amongst the records were several Paul Desmond albums that I've fallen in love with. I have since bought more Desmond, so I want to know what's missing from my collection that I should own.

Here's what I have:

Glad to be Unhappy

Easy Living

Pure Desmond

Take Ten

Bossa Antigua

The Paul Desmond Quartet Live

First Place Again

Desmond w/Strings

Blues In Time

Bridge Over Trouble Water

Today I ordered:

From the Hot Afternoon

Paul Desmond

East of the Sun

Of the ones I own, Bridge Over Trouble Water and Blues In Time are my least favorites. Covering Simon and Garfunkel was not the best idea imho, but it has its moments. Blues in Time has never caught on with me either. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't get me like the albums with Jim Hall.

I know he has others, so before I get more obsessive about collecting his lps, I'd like to know what else I should get by him.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by six string

Also get Jim Hall's CONCIERTO for some fantastic Desmond playing. It, like SKYLARK, is a CTI production: nice sound, smooth sheen, great playing all around.

FROM THE HOT AFTERNOON is one of my favorite Desmond albums.

I have Concierto on lp and it is indeed a beautiful album. Probably one of my favorite CTI albums. Hot Afternoon should be in my hands in a week. Yippee!

The Penguin Guide didn't have many nice things to say about Skylark, but I don't always agree with their opinions anyway. I'm glad others have weighed in positively on the album.

Guest Bill Barton

I like this one a lot:

Paul Desmond with The Modern Jazz Quartet

41Y8G3MHTJL._AA240_.jpg

My vinyl copy is in storage right now and I'm not familiar with the quality of the CD reissue. It's a lovely recording.

Don't overlook this one:

41BQKKJG08L._AA240_.jpg

A Telarc CD that has additional material from the 'Paul Desmond Quartet Live' sessions from Toronto.

Some of Desmond's very best music was recorded at that Bourbon Street jazz club!

Indeed. I didn't mention that I had this on my original post. Everything else I have is on lp, but I bought this cd based on my love of the "other" live album with this band.

I've never seen or heard of that album he did with the MJQ. That's a perfect match, if I ever saw one.

Today I listened to Blues in Time to try and figure out why I wasn't very enamored with it. I seem to really miss hearing a piano or guitar with Desmond's playing for some reason. It's hard to explain.

one of my favorite desmond recordings is brubeck's early 60's columbia recording of 'brandenburg gate' with his classic quartet and symphony orchestra.

..not sure if it was ever put on cd. i have the vinyl.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the desmond-bickert pairing is magic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh, too.

jim hall and desmond's quartet recording, 'easy living' is one of the greatest recordings ever made.

if i could have just one desmond recording, that would be the one.

...like taking 3 or 4 placidyl at once, or whatever folks take these days.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

one of my favorite desmond recordings is brubeck's early 60's columbia recording of 'brandenburg gate' with his classic quartet and symphony orchestra.

..not sure if it was ever put on cd. i have the vinyl.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the desmond-bickert pairing is magic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh, too.

jim hall and desmond's quartet recording, 'easy living' is one of the greatest recordings ever made.

if i could have just one desmond recording, that would be the one.

...like taking 3 or 4 placidyl at once, or whatever folks take these days.

Ummmmmmmm placidyl......aaaarrrrghhhhhhh........

I just got burned (sort of) buying a Paul Desmond album on line on the Discovery label. It's called East of the Sun and it's the same damn album on Warner Brothers titled First Place Again, which I already had. It was listed as an original Discover album. Ok, so it's an original on that label, but it's a f***in' reissue. Grrrrr. It's in pristine shape and I love the cover but I didn't need two copies of the album. Or maybe I do. It is a great album.

I concur about your thoughts on Easy Living. It's a favorite of mine too and one that made me really pay attention to Desmond.

Edited by six string

I don't have it, but I imagine that Doug Ramsey's book, Take Five: The Public and Private Lives of Paul Desmond would be a good addition to any collection of Desmond recordings.

The Doug Ramsey book is better than a good addition. No Desmond addict can afford not to have it!

Reall a woderful opus!

I very much like "Summertime," maybe his first big "production," some excellent Herbie Hancock in there, too. (Can't think of anything by him that I DON'T like...)

I second this! "Summertime" has everything that "Troubled Waters" lacks. Good Sebesky arrengements and CTI production - still on the A&M imprint at the time - at its best. It's exciting to hear the rhythm section of Hancock, Carter and Leo Morris or Airto behind Desmond; despite the big band and the reverb they are quite audible.

92679115-9365-4f0b-abfd-2cfedaad76fa.jpg

Only offered as a download from the Verve site, but it may still be possible to get this from Japan, and not too expensive. Or get the LP! :)

Edited by Daniel A