Paul Desmond

six string

I like this one a lot:

Paul Desmond with The Modern Jazz Quartet

41Y8G3MHTJL._AA240_.jpg

My vinyl copy is in storage right now and I'm not familiar with the quality of the CD reissue. It's a lovely recording.

I concur. The CD sounds fine. It's available on eMusic as well, with bonus tracks.

I thought the recording quality wasn't that great. I had the LP and eventually got the CD, which is when I realized how poor the sound was. I was told that Desmond actually blocked the release of this concert during his lifetime. "Jesus Christ Superstar" is easily one of the lamest tunes that Desmond ever recorded.

I like this one a lot:

Paul Desmond with The Modern Jazz Quartet

41Y8G3MHTJL._AA240_.jpg

My vinyl copy is in storage right now and I'm not familiar with the quality of the CD reissue. It's a lovely recording.

I concur. The CD sounds fine. It's available on eMusic as well, with bonus tracks.

I thought the recording quality wasn't that great. I had the LP and eventually got the CD, which is when I realized how poor the sound was. I was told that Desmond actually blocked the release of this concert during his lifetime. "Jesus Christ Superstar" is easily one of the lamest tunes that Desmond ever recorded.

I think I heard at the time that it was recorded on a cassette machine, as a souvenir, and never intended for release commercially. I have it as a Finesse CD from Japan, copyright 1981 (it was a Finesse LP) with 7 tracks. Doug Ramsey reports in his great Desmond book that 'Take Five' and 'Valeria' were dropped, and that Desmond was not happy with 'Take Five', so perhaps his wishes were followed in the long run...

"Jesus Christ Superstar" is easily one of the lamest tunes that Desmond ever recorded.

"Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da", done as a calypso, is not far behind. (Unfortunately it is included on 'Summertime', disrupting the atmosphere of an otherwise balanced set.)

Edited by Daniel A

"Jesus Christ Superstar" is easily one of the lamest tunes that Desmond ever recorded.

"Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da", done as a calypso, is not far behind. (Unfortunately it is included on 'Summertime', disrupting the atmosphere of an otherwise balanced set.)

:blink:

The horror...the horror... :blink:

• 14 years later...

Working on a personal theory that the Desmond I like the most is those records where he has the least harmonic support and therefore has to actually play.

What are the sparest Desmond records? Are there any where it's just him with a trio or in duo with max one chordal instrument?

Edited by Rabshakeh

The records with Mulligan. Just them, bass, and drums. One on Verve, one on RCA.

Or...there's an early Fantasy date with him & Don Elliot, no chordal instruments on that one.

About Desmond "actually playing", though...the earliest Brubeck quartet records (on Fantasy) have Desmond REALLY playing. Just sayin'...

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Working on a personal theory that the Desmond I like the most is those records where he has the least harmonic support and therefore has to actually play.

What are the sparest Desmond records? Are there any where it's just him with a trio or in duo with max one chordal instrument?

So you're not talking about his classic records with Jim Hall on RCA are you? Less harmonic support than that?

3 hours ago, Pim said:

So you're not talking about his classic records with Jim Hall on RCA are you? Less harmonic support than that?

I think the Halls are a good example: Desmond Blue - not an album I enjoy. Easy Living - much sparer and a great record.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

The records with Mulligan. Just them, bass, and drums. One on Verve, one on RCA.

Or...there's an early Fantasy date with him & Don Elliot, no chordal instruments on that one.

About Desmond "actually playing", though...the earliest Brubeck quartet records (on Fantasy) have Desmond REALLY playing. Just sayin'...

I need to revisit those Mulligans. I've only really listened to Two of A Mind which didn't win me over. 

Obviously those early Fantasies are great. I'd just been listening to one when I posted the initial question.

20 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I think the Halls are a good example: Desmond Blue - not an album I enjoy. Easy Living - much sparer and a great record.

I need to revisit those Mulligans. I've only really listened to Two of A Mind which didn't win me over. 

Obviously those early Fantasies are great. I'd just been listening to one when I posted the initial question.

I prefer the other Mulligan/Desmond album. I love this one:

https://www.discogs.com/master/373333-The-Paul-Desmond-Quartet-Live

and I think you will too ;) it’s exactly that space you are probably meaning that makes it so good. The Take Five on this album is better than the original imho…

Edited by Pim

25 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

For the sax work, I probably prefer the Verve. Succinct!

But on the RCA record, follow the bass lines, they are strong and compelling and provide the context for everything else.

6 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

The most obvious answer to me is the Mosaic Desmond box.  Accompanied by just guitar, bass, drums; on one date, trombone, bass, drums.  Sublime music.  Also, be aware that while currently available, the Desmond box is now listed as "running low."

3 hours ago, Pim said:

I prefer the other Mulligan/Desmond album. I love this one:

https://www.discogs.com/master/373333-The-Paul-Desmond-Quartet-Live

and I think you will too ;) it’s exactly that space you are probably meaning that makes it so good. The Take Five on this album is better than the original imho…

I really love this record. I even like it's weirdly cozy cover.

48 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ditto Jazz Goes To College.

Every time I play that record my wife asks, without realising it, at the exact same point in track 2: "What is this we're listening to? It's amazing."

• 2 weeks later...