What are the best jazz albums for wedding?

mikefok

Any recommendation? :rolleyes:

Machine Gun. If your future wife can get through that, you're in like Flint. :lol:

"In like Flynn" (as in Errol) is the phrase.

Considering its original sexual connotation, its especially appropriate for future marital bliss:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-inl1.htm

Edited by Dan Gould

Machine Gun. If your future wife can get through that, you're in like Flint. :lol:

"In like Flynn" (as in Errol) is the phrase.

Considering its original sexual connotation, its especially appropriate for future marital bliss:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-inl1.htm

Yes, I've seemed to have fallen into that category of people who have mixed up the movie title with the original expression. my bad :rolleyes:

This Shelly Manne album

http://www.amazon.com/Steps-Desert-Modern-...775&sr=1-37

originally titled "My Son, The Jazz Drummer" (love it that they chose to retitle the album in a rather half-assed PC manner) has a cooking version of "Have Nagila" (sp?) featuring Teddy Edwards. There's another good version on the Carmell Jones Mosaic box, featuring Edwards' regional and stylistic counterpart Harold Land. Whatever, it's a song often played at some weddings.

Edited by Larry Kart

Our first dance was Louis and Ella's rendition of "You Go To My Head", after that the emphasis was more on up-tempo dancing. Elvis, James Brown, Digable Planets, whatever it took to keep the bodies moving. Last song was Tom Wait's "The Piano Has Been Drinking". I have heard people say that they didn't really enjoy their own wedding, that's too bad I had a blast at ours.

Prior to the dancing we had a string quartet, but if I was going to go with pre-recorded I would make sure to have a lot of Ellington on the list.

if I was going to go with pre-recorded I would make sure to have a lot of Ellington on the list.

:tup

Our first dance was to the version of "Daydream" on "...And His Mother Called Him Bill". For the processional we used "The Single Petal of a Rose". And later on in the evening, I'm pretty sure that most if not all of "The Far East Suite" was played.

Having met in a clarinet section, we used the Adagio from the Mozart Clarinet Concerto (K 622), arranged for saxophone quartet, for the processional. The clarinet part was played, and the arrangement made, by my bride's high school clarinet teacher. Our first dance, by the swimming pool in the backyard (...no one got tossed in), was to Ella and Louis "Cheek to Cheek".

For background music during dinner I made a mix tape or two of chamber music and jazz. If you have the time, I'd assemble a mix.

Edited by Patrick

• 2 weeks later...