Joe Henderson 8CD Milestone Set For $28.99

sidewinder

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got around to listening to the last 2 discs in this set. I liked some of it and openly disliked some of it. This box set is definitely a mixed bag.

My overall impressions? I don't know, I guess I'm on the fence. There's a good portion I probably wouldn't care if I never heard it again. I would have been perfectly happy with a small handful of the releases included in the set but ironically, it probably would have cost me more to collect that small handful than what I paid for this set which includes much more.

I'm probably going to make 2-3 discs worth of burns, carefully store it away on the shelf, wait for all the cheap sets to clear out on the various web sites then try and sell it off for enough to get my money back. ($29.99 delivered) From the prices I see out there now, I'd be taking a hit if I tried to sell it now.

Edited by mikelz777

I got around to listening to the last 2 discs in this set. I liked some of it and openly disliked some of it. This box set is definitely a mixed bag.

My overall impressions? I don't know, I guess I'm on the fence. There's a good portion I probably wouldn't care if I never heard it again. I would have been perfectly happy with a small handful of the releases included in the set but ironically, it probably would have cost me more to collect that small handful than what I paid for this set which includes much more.

I'm probably going to make 2-3 discs worth of burns, carefully store it away on the shelf, wait for all the cheap sets to clear out on the various web sites then try and sell it off for enough to get my money back. ($29.99 delivered) From the prices I see out there now, I'd be taking a hit if I tried to sell it now.

The burns you keep will be illegal burns at that point, and really no different than downloading them from some bit-torrent site.

Why wouldn't you just keep the box and enjoy the material you like?

Edited by Aggie87

???

I just got it to hear the music I hadn't heard and to replace emusic cdrs with real cds.

I was just saying to Conn the other night that, when I first started collecting jazz, almost every album I bought had electric piano, fender rhodes, clavinet, or some sort of electric sound. That was my favorite stuff then and I still love that sound now, call me crazy.

Edited by Noj

oh come on...he paid for the set...he is allowed to make digital copies of music he paid for. he did spend money on it. it is absolutely nothing like downloading something he didn't pay for on a bit torrent site.

I didn't make the comment, nor am I chastising the OP, but here's the distinction. The factor you are not taking into account is he would be making digital copies, but then selling the original (not quite ok). That is different than making digital copies or backups, but keeping the original (ok).

I'll buy a board member's copy of the set (at the DG/amazon marketplace price) if anyone wants to sell it, so as not to have to deal with amazon marketplace, etc. PM me if interested.

Peter, Newbury Comics now has it on Amazon Marketplace for $29.99 + $2.98 shipping. Newbury's an excellent seller (lots of board members have had many great experiences with Newbury, including me). :tup You can order from Newbury with no worries:

Amazon Marketplace Henderson page

i guess i am too young to understand but people are treating this box like it is some weird avante experimental stuff that needs to be approached with a long and sharp stick. were people really not listening to this stuff in the 70s. i can't imagine being alive in 1973 and seeing multiple in the record store and saying "my g_d, dave holland plays some ELECTRIC bass? larry willis uses an electric piano? bypass! bypass!". this box has been out for like what? eight years? not to mention the a la carte discs (sadly absent black narcissus, the best set on here and minus black miracle, the worst...)...people haven't at any point in these past years had an interest or urge to check out any of these albums? in japan? live at the lighthouse? in pursuit of blackness? canyon lady? the elements? the kicker, even? this blows my mind. because of the time period? the electric instruments? joe henderson's beard?

TESTIFY Dumpy Donald Mommy!!!

:g :g :g :g :g For all of that! and :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup too!

It's not that you're too young, it's that jazz was so much younger then. It's older than that now, and so are its young people, of which it apparently has next to none, no matter what their birth certificates say.

I was just saying to Conn the other night that, when I first started collecting jazz, almost every album I bought had electric piano, fender rhodes, clavinet, or some sort of electric sound. That was my favorite stuff then and I still love that sound now, call me crazy.

Not me.

Grew up with it, too, and still like it, too.

Within my first year and a half or so of listening ro jazz, from roughly late 1970 - mid 1972, I had heard Wayne Shorter with

1. Art Blakey
  2. Gil Evans
  3. Accoustic Miles Davis
  4. Electric Miles Davis
  5. Weather Report

And it all sounded like the same guy (and considering that list of names and their recordings I heard during the same timeframe, guys) to me, just evolving with the times.

Imagine my surprise when I later learned that this was not the case, that some of that was real and some of it wasn't!

!

oh come on...he paid for the set...he is allowed to make digital copies of music he paid for. he did spend money on it. it is absolutely nothing like downloading something he didn't pay for on a bit torrent site.

Wrong, it's exactly the same. He paid for the set and he'll get paid for it when he sells it.

By buying the set he buys the right to use the music contained therein (including making

digital copies for use in the car or whatever). By selling it he voids those rights and every

copy he keeps will become an illegal copy.

I'd prefer to use the money spent on the set to acquire music I would enjoy more and listen to more frequently.

Mike, I have a number of albums that I did not like at first, but that I have come to enjoy over time. This box set is cheap because it has gone out of print. You may never have another chance to obtain this music.

I suggest that you hold off for a long while on selling the box until you have given yourself a better chance to come to appreciate the music.

I'd prefer to use the money spent on the set to acquire music I would enjoy more and listen to more frequently.

Mike, I have a number of albums that I did not like at first, but that I have come to enjoy over time. This box set is cheap because it has gone out of print. You may never have another chance to obtain this music.

I suggest that you hold off for a long while on selling the box until you have given yourself a better chance to come to appreciate the music.

Actually, that's probably good advice and a good idea. I've experienced the same thing with certain artists. If I still feel the same way a year or two down the road I could consider selling it then. Would I then get chastised by others for selling it for twice or more what I paid for it or is copying the only pet issue involved here? <_< For now, I think I'll just peruse the Definitive, Jazz Factory and Lone Hill catalogs and see what sort of gems I can find in there. ;)^_^ Oh, and some JSPs too...

Edited by mikelz777

• 2 months later...

It shows up on Amazon but if you go directly to Newbury Comics it shows it is back ordered (and shows the original list price $125). I placed an order on Amazon...we'll see what happens.

Where is it back ordered on Newbury Comics website ?...i tell you something about Newbury Comics they are all over

the place for pricing . I went into one of their stores and bought a cd for $5.99 and then looked on amazon and

the same cd was $39.99 .

So i wouldn't be surprised if this goes thru , i think they treat the Amazon marketplace and the online store ( and ebay) and the stores all differently.