RogerF

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone ever heard this curiosity?:

220px-GilesFarnabys1973.jpg

Seems like a collision between Early Music, folk and jazz.

Details

• St. George’s Canzona,
  • The Druids
  • Trevor Crozier’s Broken Consort,
  • Jeff Clyne (bass guitar)
  • Dave MacRae (electric piano)
  • Trevor Tomkins (drums).

Not due for imminent reissue - I just stumbled on it searching for the Elizabethan/Jacobian composer Giles Farnaby.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Details

• St. George’s Canzona,
  • The Druids

Not due for imminent reissue - I just stumbled on it searching for the Elizabethan/Jacobian composer Giles Farnaby.

More about this album here, complete with audio samples :

Giles Farnaby's Dream Band

The track 'Newcastle Brown' was apparently issued as a single.

Details

• St. George’s Canzona,
  • The Druids

I really like this - thanks Bev

Anything with a lineup that includes 'Druids' has me thinking 'Stonehenge' and running well away but maybe I should check this out.

Maybe this will soften your apprehension:

druids.jpg

http://www.john-adams.info/bands/druids.htm

Maybe not!

I've come across a few of those names in other groups from later on. Part of a very strong Derbyshire folk scene.

• 2 weeks later...

Details

• St. George’s Canzona,
  • The Druids

I really like this - thanks Bev

Yeah, it's really good. I'd sort of let my fascination with Brit-folk languish for a while. Time to start digging those LPs out again. I'm sure the original Argo pressing of this is pretty expensive.

• 2 months later...

Just noticed this on e-music - my credits are due to refresh at any moment:

600x600.jpg

Thought it might be of considerable interest to some posters here.

http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album/jazz-live-trio/swis-radio-days-jazz-series/13496367/:

The Jazz Trio seem to be:

Klaus Koenig, p

Peter Frei, b

Pierre Favre/Peter Schmidlin, dr

Details from Challenge Records:

http://www.challengerecords.com/product/1336030359

Edited by A Lark Ascending

515Va2QykwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is due out in the near future. Further details here:

Acrobat Music

contains all of the Harriott/Kinsey material

Yes, and quite a bit of other material I can't recall having seen released on CD before. However, I'll need to check a Tony Kinsey discography to confirm that.

Update:

It looks like all the Joe Harriott tracks have been previously available on a 2xCD called "Killer Joe" and eleven of the tracks by Tony Kinsey on Discs 2 & 3 were released by Harkit on a CD called "Fascinating Rhythm" some years ago. All the other tracks seem to be out on CD for the first time.

Edited by Head Man

Just noticed this on e-music - my credits are due to refresh at any moment:

600x600.jpg

Thought it might be of considerable interest to some posters here.

http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album/jazz-live-trio/swis-radio-days-jazz-series/13496367/:

The Jazz Trio seem to be:

Klaus Koenig, p

Peter Frei, b

Pierre Favre/Peter Schmidlin, dr

Details from Challenge Records:

http://www.challengerecords.com/product/1336030359

I've heard bits from it ... pity this great series is usually so darn expensive!

As for Acrobat ... I'd be extremly astonished if they'd release even just a burp that's not been out on CD somewhere else. Shabby label, alas, but some attractive offerings (I've got a Jazz Couriers disc and an Oscar Peterson 3CD set).

As for Acrobat ... I'd be extremly astonished if they'd release even just a burp that's not been out on CD somewhere else. Shabby label, alas, but some attractive offerings (I've got a Jazz Couriers disc and an Oscar Peterson 3CD set).

I wouldn't know about their modern jazz, really, but as for the reissue activites at large of this label, I am afraid you are being a bit rash in your judgment, King Ubu.

Show me where an in-depth reissue of the R&B output of the MACY's label covering exactly the same ground has been done before (you can gather a lot of Macy's hillbilly items on other reissues but you'd have to plough through a LOT of individual platters) or of the MELODISC label or of drummer/bandleader Peppy Prince's output.

As for them being "shabby", if blues writer Opal Louis Nations (known from numerous contributions in the "Blues & Rhythm" magazine) sees fit to contribute liner/booklet notes those Acrobats can't be all that shabby.

As for jazz and all having been out on CD before, a very superficial check shows Acrobat claim this one hasn't ...

http://www.acrobatmusic.net/?cid=5&AlbumId=777

... and this one doesn't exactly look very rehashed, either:

http://www.acrobatmusic.net/?cid=5&AlbumId=792

;) ;)

BTW, lest somebody again complains that the above items cannot be linked to here, Acrobat stress the point of their reissues being the "first legit CD" ones over and again throughout their item descriptions. So .... would they do so if somebody could easily pin a lawsuit on them for clearly false claims?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I came to this label fairly recently when I bought the three Tommy Whittle CDs, all of which were released with his permission, so nothing shabby there.

Played the Wheeler/Skidmore disc today on the work run - very enjoyable. Two tracks with trio + Wheeler, two with trio + Skidmore and 2 with toute ensemble. Very heavily in the Coltrane-Hymn zone that Skidmore has heavily mined. Reminds me of the sort of thing you'd hear on Radio 2 after midnight on a Sunday (well, Monday) back in those days.

Makes you wonder what else is lurking in the archives of German/Swiss or other more adventurous radio stations. We've had a lot of US jazz and an extraordinary amount of Soft Machine. Given how hard it was for UK musicians of the stature of John Taylor or Stan Sulzmann to get on record in those days there must be a lot of unrecorded material that made it to broadcast but no further. I can recall all manner of things on the BBC but we know what the BBC did with its tapes.

I know it's crass, but being a child of the Eighties, I always associate Tony Kinsey's name with this.

:lol:

Was just watching an episode of this last week (don't ask :D ) and noticed T. Kinsey's credit on there. Didn't he also do 'George and Mildred'? 'That's Life' as well of course - plus many others.

Edited by sidewinder