British jazz reissues

RogerF

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just watching an episode of this last week (don't ask :D ) and noticed T. Kinsey's credit on there. Didn't he also do 'George and Mildred'? 'That's Life' as well of course - plus many others.

Ah, I didn't know about Kinsey's link with That's Life. Thanks for that.

George and Mildred had two theme tunes during its run, the first by jazz bassist Johnny Hawksworth (similar in spirit to his Roobarb theme), the second by Roger Webb (more mood-music-y).

George and Mildred had two theme tunes during its run, the first by jazz bassist Johnny Hawksworth (similar in spirit to his Roobarb theme), the second by Roger Webb (more mood-music-y).

Ah yes, I was confusing with Hawksworth on this theme. Never knew he did the 'Roobarb and Custard' !

I think Tony Kinsey did the music for 'That's Life' every week - had to compose new stuff for each show under time pressure (and no doubt get a b*ll*cking from Esther Rantzen if he didn't deliver on time. :g )

I have to say that I'm really looking forward to the Tony Kinsey release on Acrobat. I've ordered a copy from Amazon but no indication of when it's to be released.

BTW anyone really interested in this era of British modern jazz is well served by David Taylor's website, for any who don't already know it I post a link -

http://vzone.virgin.net/davidh.taylor/bebop.htm

I am also looking forward to Simon's Tubby book, again no indication of who will be publishing it or when it's likely to be. I chatted to Simon at a club a while ago and told him that I'd seen Tubby play back in the early sixties, he was very interested but unfortunately I could only recall that it was at the 100 club in the summer of 1962 or '63 and that Tubby blew me away!!

I have to say that I'm really looking forward to the Tony Kinsey release on Acrobat. I've ordered a copy from Amazon but no indication of when it's to be released.

BTW anyone really interested in this era of British modern jazz is well served by David Taylor's website, for any who don't already know it I post a link -

http://vzone.virgin.net/davidh.taylor/bebop.htm

I am also looking forward to Simon's Tubby book, again no indication of who will be publishing it or when it's likely to be. I chatted to Simon at a club a while ago and told him that I'd seen Tubby play back in the early sixties, he was very interested but unfortunately I could only recall that it was at the 100 club in the summer of 1962 or '63 and that Tubby blew me away!!

I had a similar chat with Simon. When I told him I'd heard Victor Feldman at Ronnie's on a triumphant Xmas return to the U.K., he immediately named the year. He's an amazing historian of British jazz!

I had a similar chat with Simon. When I told him I'd heard Victor Feldman at Ronnie's on a triumphant Xmas return to the U.K., he immediately named the year. He's an amazing historian of British jazz!

Yes, and an amazing Tenor player, pity he has no plans for any further albums. Why? Does anyone know?

I've just had an e-mail from John Cooper the CEO at Acrobat Music who tells me they will be shipping the Tony Kinsey set next Tuesday, 18 September. He also says that Amazon have yet to order it from him...whatever that means :huh:

Edited by Head Man

Just noticed this on e-music - my credits are due to refresh at any moment:

600x600.jpg

Thought it might be of considerable interest to some posters here.

http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album/jazz-live-trio/swis-radio-days-jazz-series/13496367/:

The Jazz Trio seem to be:

Klaus Koenig, p

Peter Frei, b

Pierre Favre/Peter Schmidlin, dr

Details from Challenge Records:

http://www.challengerecords.com/product/1336030359

Thanks for the heads-up. I've just put my order in.

Played the Wheeler/Skidmore disc today on the work run - very enjoyable. Two tracks with trio + Wheeler, two with trio + Skidmore and 2 with toute ensemble. Very heavily in the Coltrane-Hymn zone that Skidmore has heavily mined. Reminds me of the sort of thing you'd hear on Radio 2 after midnight on a Sunday (well, Monday) back in those days.

Makes you wonder what else is lurking in the archives of German/Swiss or other more adventurous radio stations. We've had a lot of US jazz and an extraordinary amount of Soft Machine. Given how hard it was for UK musicians of the stature of John Taylor or Stan Sulzmann to get on record in those days there must be a lot of unrecorded material that made it to broadcast but no further. I can recall all manner of things on the BBC but we know what the BBC did with its tapes.

Which Wheeler is this? Maybe missed it? I have a couple of radio shows of John Taylor with Kenny from the 70s which are excellent and I also wonder what else would be still in the archives in Europe. Complete BBC Kenny Wheeler would be a treat

Edited by fent99

Played the Wheeler/Skidmore disc today on the work run - very enjoyable. Two tracks with trio + Wheeler, two with trio + Skidmore and 2 with toute ensemble. Very heavily in the Coltrane-Hymn zone that Skidmore has heavily mined. Reminds me of the sort of thing you'd hear on Radio 2 after midnight on a Sunday (well, Monday) back in those days.

Makes you wonder what else is lurking in the archives of German/Swiss or other more adventurous radio stations. We've had a lot of US jazz and an extraordinary amount of Soft Machine. Given how hard it was for UK musicians of the stature of John Taylor or Stan Sulzmann to get on record in those days there must be a lot of unrecorded material that made it to broadcast but no further. I can recall all manner of things on the BBC but we know what the BBC did with its tapes.

Which Wheeler is this? Maybe missed it? I have a couple of radio shows of John Taylor with Kenny from the 70s which are excellent and I also wonder what else would be still in the archives in Europe. Complete BBC Kenny Wheeler would be a treat

This one mentioned above:

600x600.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

61XUjKWnsGL._SY450_.jpg

Remember reading about this Don Weller led 'jazz-rock' band in the mid-70s but never heard them. I believe it was initially a limited release.

A fully remastered re-issue of the 1976 original vinyl release, which includes a previously unreleased track from the original recording session. The sound of the South London Jazz and hipster scene of the early 1970s transcending a time and place which can be found no more and is simultaneously timeless. True and raw music genius fronted by the "Tenor Titan" Don Weller, backed by Bruce Collcutt on bass guitar, Jimmy Roche on guitar and the late Tony Marsh on the drums. The CD release contains an 8 page booklet including liner notes and rare band photographs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-First-Cut-Major-Surgery/dp/B00AF1H6QA/ref=pd_sim_m_h__2

Good stuff ! Don Weller performs regularly at Swanage but hasn't been there for a few years now (in recovery from a major operation I believe). He and his various bands are always worth checking out (especially the Octet). I think I saw a reunion of Major Surgery at Swanage some years ago now.

61XUjKWnsGL._SY450_.jpg

Remember reading about this Don Weller led 'jazz-rock' band in the mid-70s but never heard them. I believe it was initially a limited release.

A fully remastered re-issue of the 1976 original vinyl release, which includes a previously unreleased track from the original recording session. The sound of the South London Jazz and hipster scene of the early 1970s transcending a time and place which can be found no more and is simultaneously timeless. True and raw music genius fronted by the "Tenor Titan" Don Weller, backed by Bruce Collcutt on bass guitar, Jimmy Roche on guitar and the late Tony Marsh on the drums. The CD release contains an 8 page booklet including liner notes and rare band photographs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-First-Cut-Major-Surgery/dp/B00AF1H6QA/ref=pd_sim_m_h__2

Good spot, Bev!...thanks for the heads-up.

The original LP was ........ flawed by excessive noise reduction.

I wonder if they've sorted that out for the re-issue?

Acording to Dave Gelly's article the sound is much improved, so this CD version sounds like a 'must have'.

I'm trying to think who was in the 'Major Surgery' reunion at Swanage way back. The late Tony Marsh was on drums I think but not sure of the rest of the band.

There have been some good articles in Jazz Journal of late. Much improved magazine.

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 weeks later...

This is slightly "off topic" but I really want some feedback from the participants of this thread. I've migrated the Ian Carr and Nucleus website to a new and (hopefully!) improved one so would very much appreciate it if you could just take a quick look and if you feel like commenting please do so either here or at the email address given at the foot of the home page. Many thanks! The new website is here: http://iancarrsnucleus.webs.com/

Edited by RogerF