British jazz reissues

RogerF

miller_harr_different_101b.jpg

Although not strictly a re-issue I can heartily recommend this recent release from Ogun. It includes music from two different sessions; one from 1973 with Mike Osborne on alto, Nick Evans on trombone, Chris McGregor on piano, Harry Miller on bass and Louis Moholo on drums; and a second session live from the Chateauvallon Jazz Festival in July, 1979 with Mike, Harry and Louis plus Malcolm Griffiths on trombone, Mark Charig on trumpet and Keith Tippett on piano.

I see one of our members, Roger Farbey, is credited with providing Ogun with the 1973 tracks. Since there's no information on the CD cover about when and where they were recorded, can you enlighten us, Roger?

I didn't actually know this! Well these tracks must have been from a session from the early 1970s with Isipingo - great set. Haven't received my copy yet - hopefully will get it this week.

Edit: Yep they are and yes I did but had forgotten - and Mike King's done a great job with these tracks. Just received my copy in the post.

Edited by RogerF

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it's going to be a reissue of Cadillac LP 1003 (Stan Tracey Alone At Wigmore Hall) with the previously unreleased duo material added

Would love Hazel to rerelease (on CD) the Ogun Tracey/Osborne duo session - Tandem: Live At The Bracknell Jazz Festival 1976

Thanks for the heads-up, Bev....just added it to my "to get" list.

I wonder if John Jack is still running Cadillac Records.... that's the second recent release on Cadillac in twelve months following the Johnny Dyani double CD last year.

• 3 years later...

Tempting upgrade on the BGOs (in fact I will definitely get it as I am missing some of them). Too bad that there is no word on there of a vinyl version a la Jazzman.

14 hours ago, sidewinder said:

3173TZcDy5L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just received a copy of this interesting book. Sort of a compilation of personal reviews of key albums during the period under discussion.

I am finding that some of the star ratings on the reviews are debatable although I agree with quite a few of them. Formatting is a bit all over the place but it is an amiable read, covering many of the key artists and albums.

Edited by sidewinder

19 hours ago, Harbour said:

For those into the Ian Carr/ Don Rendle albums they are getting mini LP SHM-CD reissues in March, they have great covers so should look lovely!

Jazzman now listing the individual vinyl LPs coming up at £18.99, very fair price. We are living in an age of veritable cornucopia of Rendell/Carr !

Edited by sidewinder

Somehow  ‘Solar Plexus’, Roots’ and ‘Under the Sun’ have always eluded me, have the rest on Vertigo vinyl though, together with many of the BGOs. A new CD remastering will be great and will also look forward to the Sid Smith essay booklet. I suspect that Ian Carr would have been amazed at the recent tsunami of releases put out under his name.

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Somehow  ‘Solar Plexus’, Roots’ and ‘Under the Sun’ have always eluded me, have the rest on Vertigo vinyl though, together with many of the BGOs. A new CD remastering will be great and will also look forward to the Sid Smith essay booklet. I suspect that Ian Carr would have been amazed at the recent tsunami of releases put out under his name.

IMO Solar Plexus was his masterwork although Ian actually rated Old Heartland as his best. What is tremendous about Solar Plexus is that two other leading trumpeters were also featured (Kenny Wheeler and Harry Beckett) with proper, memorable solos. But the compositions, all Ian's for the first time on one record, were fantastic. For me "Torso" is a killer track, but it's all brilliant.

I definitely need a good Vertigo vinyl of ‘Solar Plexus’. :mellow:

I can imagine that he would have been very fond of ‘Old Heartland’. It is obviously a very personal work, a tribute to Northumbria. It got a fine and very prominent showing at Ian’s memorial concert, which I’m sure you recall Roger.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I definitely need a good Vertigo vinyl of ‘Solar Plexus’. :mellow:

I can imagine that he would have been very fond of ‘Old Heartland’. It is obviously a very personal work, a tribute to Northumbria. It got a fine and very prominent showing at Ian’s memorial concert, which I’m sure you recall Roger.

indeed I do!

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

What happened?  Amazon UK now lists this at 51.65 GBP.  It was 31.99, as I recall.

Roger's link does not subtract VAT for American customers, and charges 13 GBP for standard shipping.

$34.19 direct from importcds.com ($49.39 from amazon).  

https://www.importcds.com/ian-carr-torrid-zone-vertigo-recordings-1970-1975/5013929476301

13 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Apparently a computer glitch is preventing me from opening an account at Import CDs.  Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm fine on there.   Can you just check out as a guest using paypal?

On 3/16/2019 at 9:54 PM, GA Russell said:

Apparently a computer glitch is preventing me from opening an account at Import CDs.  Has anyone else had this problem?

I finally got the account started.  Don't know what their problem was.  John, they would not sell me anything as a "guest."  That's the really crazy part.