British jazz reissues

RogerF

From a file obtained from the Jewell estate some years ago. Includes an invite from Ardley to Jewell to the first performance of ‘Kaleidoscope’ at the Roundhouse in 1974 as part of the Camden Jazz Festival of that year as well as a marked up programme of the QEH programme with Jewell’s thoughts on the night (v. positive).

One thing I do remember around this time is listening to Jewell’s Radio 3 review programme back in 1976 I think which covered all popular music and not just jazz. He did a review of ‘Kaleidoscope’ on that show.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Interesting, thanks. I vaguely remember that programme. Was rare at that time to hear non classical music on Radio 3. I also remember an academic having a series on Bob Dylan’s lyrics on R3 late at night. Felt very radical at the time!

I remember him playing and reviewing  Stanley Clarke ‘Journey To Love’ on that programme - very un-R3 ! Also Quincy Jones ‘Body Heat’. 

The other thing they put out on that station around that time was ‘Jazz In Britain’, broadcast usually at some impossible time in the night.

Edited by sidewinder

On 06/03/2021 at 4:17 AM, sidewinder said:

Some of the best of the music on the Garrick/Harriott release is only available in the longer digital option so not getting hold of the LP is not a disaster IMO.

Wish they would do a second batch of that Ray Russell Vol 1 though !

Downloaded the Garrick/Harriott from JIB last night - needs two CDs - what a stellar lineup - looks like this University College (London) concert was just after the recording of "Black Marigolds" - titles from this  LP & the earlier "Promises" make up most of the repertoire.

Really enjoying the Ray Russell, Vol. 1 (includes early Dave Holland)

Just downloaded the Mike Osborne & Friends (bandcamp download only & name your price) - again, 2 CDs worth. It's a live recording from The Peanuts Club, London - another stunning lineup - Beckett/Charig/Dean/Osborne/Skidmore/Miller/Moholo

4 hours ago, romualdo said:

Downloaded the Garrick/Harriott from JIB last night - needs two CDs - what a stellar lineup - looks like this University College (London) concert was just after the recording of "Black Marigolds" - titles from this  LP & the earlier "Promises" make up most of the repertoire.

Just downloaded the Mike Osborne & Friends (bandcamp download only & name your price) - again, 2 CDs worth. It's a live recording from The Peanuts Club, London - another stunning lineup - Beckett/Charig/Dean/Osborne/Skidmore/Miller/Moholo

Thanks for recommending this site. I just downloaded (via Bandcamp) Garrick/Herriot, The Harriott and a Tubby Hayes track (couldn't seem to get the whole record.). I was interested because I saw Harriot with Shake Keene (sp?) and Phil Seamons in the summer of 1964 at the Marquee Club. 

By the way - a new biography of the life of Shake Keane has recently come out. Covers his musical, literary and governmental exploits.

Medjuck - I guess the band you saw must have been the classic Harriott Quintet lineup with Harriott, Keane, Pat Smythe, Coleridge Goode and Phil Seamen.

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

By the way - a new biography of the life of Shake Keane has recently come out. Covers his musical, literary and governmental exploits.

Medjuck - I guess the band you saw must have been the classic Harriott Quintet lineup with Harriott, Keane, Pat Smythe, Coleridge Goode and Phil Seamen.

Yes, that's the Harriott band I remember. When I was a student at Manchester University several of my former schoolmates were at London University where Shake Keane was studying. His course was the heavily Shakespearean English Literature, hence the name. :)

9 hours ago, romualdo said:

There’s a comment on the site that the drummer is identified as Bryan Spring, not Moholo.

One to download though, for sure. Just downloaded the whole of the Harriott, onto 2CDs and sounding more than OK.

10 minutes ago, BillF said:

Yes, that's the Harriott band I remember. When I was a student at Manchester University several of my former schoolmates were at London University where Shake Keane was studying. His course was the heavily Shakespearean English Literature, hence the name. :)

I wonder whether Garrick and Keane were both studying at UCL English faculty at the same time? I have the feeling that Keane curtailed his studies. I think he got the ‘Shake’ nickname before starting these studies.

Bobby Orr took over on drums from Seamen at some stage in the Harriott lineup.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, romualdo said:

I can't seem to find on the JIB site where this is mentioned - the primary Bandcamp page lists Moholo

It’s on one of the subscriber comments. It mentions that this was notified to and agreed with site admin.

Neil Ardley ‘Kaleidoscope of Rainbows’ 2CD has just arrived in the mail. :excited:

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 weeks later...

listening to the latest Jazz In Britain full download ie The second Ray Russell release ie Live Vol. 2: 1970 - Forget To Remember (Sextet this time)

Recorded for the BBC (London) in Jan 1970 & broadcast (4 titles) soon after.

This is wonderful stuff - fantastic SQ & the playing is superb from a lineup including

Harry Beckett, Nick Evans, Tony Roberts, Daryl Runswick, Alan Rushton

The download/CD has significantly more material than the LP - again, I've burn't my download to a CDr (AIFF files) for better sound

This £24 yearly subscription with a year of downloads of any new releases plus 4 previous releases is a no brainer IMHO

Have looked into getting some of the LPs but once shipping costs to Australia are added, i'll be paying approx $75Aus per LP - not worth it IMHO plus the downloads/CDs often have more recorded material than the LPs

18 hours ago, romualdo said:

listening to the latest Jazz In Britain full download ie The second Ray Russell release ie Live Vol. 2: 1970 - Forget To Remember (Sextet this time)

Recorded for the BBC (London) in Jan 1970 & broadcast (4 titles) soon after.

This is wonderful stuff - fantastic SQ & the playing is superb from a lineup including

Harry Beckett, Nick Evans, Tony Roberts, Daryl Runswick, Alan Rushton

The download/CD has significantly more material than the LP - again, I've burn't my download to a CDr (AIFF files) for better sound

This £24 yearly subscription with a year of downloads of any new releases plus 4 previous releases is a no brainer IMHO

Have looked into getting some of the LPs but once shipping costs to Australia are added, i'll be paying approx $75Aus per LP - not worth it IMHO plus the downloads/CDs often have more recorded material than the LPs

Totally agree, the latest RR archival release from JiB is really fantastic and despite being in mono (but may have been originally broadcast in stereo at that time) is undeniably both crystal clear and extremely innovative. I love RR's guitar work then as he was really pushing the boundaries. His compositions and arrangements are excellent too. Highly recommended.

11 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

yeah, CD is the way to go for most of these. I did preorder the Russell and the Rendell/Carr on LP to try them out, but otherwise am sticking to digital formats.

I would have really liked the Harriott & Garrick LPs as I'm a big Joe fan but alas I was too late - they sold so fast

• 2 weeks later...

I received an email from Clark Tracey's Resteamed Records with the following tantalising info: 

We at Resteamed remain dedicated to ensuring Stan’s music is made as widely available as possible. And to this end, our next new release from the Archive – available from the end of May - will be a double CD of Stan’s Quartet (featuring Bobby Wellins) and their 1968 recording With Love From Jazz, coupled with the ST Big Brass arrangements of Ellington tunes on We Love You Madly, which Stan played for many years on his big band dates. The latter dates from 1969 with a line-up including Joe Harriott, Don Rendell, Ian Carr, Acker Bilk and Tony Coe. And with so much love in the air, we’re calling this latest double CD release With Love From Stan.

5 hours ago, RogerF said:

I received an email from Clark Tracey's Resteamed Records with the following tantalising info: 

We at Resteamed remain dedicated to ensuring Stan’s music is made as widely available as possible. And to this end, our next new release from the Archive – available from the end of May - will be a double CD of Stan’s Quartet (featuring Bobby Wellins) and their 1968 recording With Love From Jazz, coupled with the ST Big Brass arrangements of Ellington tunes on We Love You Madly, which Stan played for many years on his big band dates. The latter dates from 1969 with a line-up including Joe Harriott, Don Rendell, Ian Carr, Acker Bilk and Tony Coe. And with so much love in the air, we’re calling this latest double CD release With Love From Stan.

Finally a CD release of the Stan Tracy Big Brass "We Love You Madly" session - have had to rely on my aussie Columbia LP for years

On 3/27/2021 at 10:25 PM, RogerF said:

Totally agree, the latest RR archival release from JiB is really fantastic and despite being in mono (but may have been originally broadcast in stereo at that time) is undeniably both crystal clear and extremely innovative. I love RR's guitar work then as he was really pushing the boundaries. His compositions and arrangements are excellent too. Highly recommended.

Is anything known about the JiB vinyl ? I ask as my only vinyl from them to date (Group Sounds Four and Five) was less than perfect in terms of pressing. Nothing horrific but just a few more clicks than I generally get from recent vinyl issues. The sonic fidelity of their source tapes vary of course but it'd be good to hear of anyone else's experience with their vinyl editions. The CDs i've bought have been faultless.

27 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Is anything known about the JiB vinyl ? I ask as my only vinyl from them to date (Group Sounds Four and Five) was less than perfect in terms of pressing. Nothing horrific but just a few more clicks than I generally get from recent vinyl issues. The sonic fidelity of their source tapes vary of course but it'd be good to hear of anyone else's experience with their vinyl editions. The CDs i've bought have been faultless.

Same issue here with the Group Sounds Four and Five LP. Arrived with some white powdery addition to the grooves on side 1 that even when removed caused clicks etc.  I've given it a good wash but not listened to it again yet.  The few other LPs I have had from them have been trouble free.

The JIB vinyl is just too expensive for me (mainly due to the shipping costs to Australia)

Don't understand how Honest Jons does it - I buy all of my UK vinyl through them as shipping to Australia is very very reasonable (much cheaper than JIB). Pity HJ's don't carry JIB vinyl. Also Dusty Groove in the states carries a lot of the UK releases (CD & vinyl) - again their shipping prices to Australia are great too.

• 1 month later...

Space Walk !    Windmill Tilter !

There was a longer list announced last year (which I don’t think had Space Walk in it) but this is a great start. 

The double album has some great selections on it - if the listing of this one indicates intent then could be forthcoming reissues for Mike Taylor, Colin Bates, Alan Skidmore, Mike Westbrook etc.

Put me down for 3 of each !

Edited by sidewinder

On 13/04/2021 at 10:58 PM, adh1907 said:

I have this LP and don’t have this problem. 

Anthony

London

My ‘Group Sounds Four and Five’ LP is OK too.

3 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

This will be costly!

But all in a good cause !

if the Tone Poets don’t get you then the Decca British Jazz explosion will. :D

Edited by sidewinder